ABBA - Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)

There's not a soul out there...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GinAg (39)

User
Pronouns
He/Him
I know this will likely be straight 10's and it's barely worth asking what you think, because the answer is always YES PLEASE. But it needed it's own topic.

That last video GGG being dropped into a DJ set and crowd losing their pilled out minds and is SHEER JOY

It's also their second most streamed song. I presume the Madonna sample helped cement it's legacy. That and the fact that it's an absolute banger.

What can you say. One of the best examples of an immaculate pop song in every sense of the word.

• Care
Reactions: LTZ
Anyone know what songs kept it from going higher than #3 in the UK?

B3DFAF7D-D1DF-4048-A711-61F59EF10A67.png

I don't remember the TV show, but I do remember that song. My gran loved it. I think I bought it, and certainly didn't buy Gimme.

It’s MAGNIFICENT. TRANSCENDENT. And a euphoric JOY in the chorus.

• Care
One of the ABBA songs I rarely heard as a child, as it wasn't on any of the albums and my parents didn't have the single. That made it all the more special.

Of course I always found it an utter rush and utterly compelling and vaguely ILLICIT. And I ALWAYS used to try and hold that long note whenever I heard it (see also Barbra's Woman In Love) :disco:

• Care
When even a grumpy indie snob like me is on board, you know it's a nailed on BANGER.

• Care
I vaguely remember people dismissing it as cheap disco and not up to Abba’s standards of ‘serious’ proper pop songs made with ‘proper instruments’ like Chiquitita and Does your mother know .. I always suspected that people were just worried that liking a song so obviously about WANTING A MAN ( after midnight) wasn’t maybe the right thing to do … but yes it’s brilliant and transcendental and everything else everyone has said here..utterly perfect.

I vaguely remember people dismissing it as cheap disco and not up to Abba’s standards of ‘serious’ proper pop songs made with ‘proper instruments’ like Chiquitita and Does your mother know .. I always suspected that people were just worried that liking a song so obviously about WANTING A MAN ( after midnight) wasn’t maybe the right thing to do … but yes it’s brilliant and transcendental and everything else everyone has said here..utterly perfect.
And yet as seen in that video above and others I've seen, straight guys now wail along to it, like it's Mr Brightside.

• Care
If only they streamed it like Mr Brightside.
To be fair Brightside is on 1.7 billion and GGG is on 0.5 billion, which considering it was released pre digital is great.

But a comparison with Fleetwood Mac is probably more relevant. I think GGG picked up a lot of streams on NYE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom