Annie - Dark Hearts (2020 Album & Singles)

the new one is absolutely beautiful

it feels like the big song of this campaign. I find it quite emotional :o

the new one is absolutely beautiful

it feels like the big song of this campaign. I find it quite emotional :o

I love this, and have had it on repeat this morning. Sad and lovely.

My favourite so far as well. And her delivery of 'Take it away Johnny' before the guitar outro...

The Streets Where I Belong feels like one of the best things that she has done at the moment.

Gays of a certain age carping (TM Jacob Rees-Mogg) about this not being released on CD has worn Annie down to a 'maybe' regarding the prospect of a future release.

For some reason I found The Streets Where I Belong one of the weakest songs of her new ones. But that remix brings it right up there.

I love the original but the remix is wonderful as well. I like what they did with the outro.

I'd entirely forgotten about her boyfriend who died. That really does make 'The Streets Where I Belong' extra :(

That song really tugs at the old heart strings. Not heard anything else yet, but hope it's all just as good.

I'd entirely forgotten about her boyfriend who died. That really does make 'The Streets Where I Belong' extra :(

I just came in to post this! I didn't realise until I listened to the lyrics to the song, which are so matter-of-fact about her whole relationship with him :(

It's all SO SO SAD!

Before he died he released 'Song for Annie'

A potted history from the YouTube blurb:
Tore Andreas "Erot" Kroknes, who passed away in 2001 at the age of just 23, was one of the house scene's most promising artists in the late 90's and early 00's. His pioneering deep, dubby sound was well documented on releases such as "Song For Annie" and remixes for artists like Bertine Zetlitz, DK, Kings of Convenience and Mental Overdrive, and he also produced the classic pop single "The Greatest Hit" for his girlfriend Annie. Erot was also an important figure in the music scene in his home town Bergen, DJing alongside Bjørn Torske on clubs such as Agora and Kennel and contributing extensively to the renowned Tellé label; among other things, he was their in-house designer, and the Tellé logo and all the early sleeves were done by him (as well as loads of logos and posters for other Norwegian artists).

Tore suffered from heart problems from birth, and tragically, this eventually demanded his life; in April 2001, he passed away after a prolonged illness.

Teenage lovers, when we were young
All of the parties under the midnight sun
That's when I met the love of my life
He was a DJ and we danced all through the night
Tell me, tell me, why did you go?
I can still hear our songs on the radio

Oh Annie close your eyes, pretend
And then you're back there once again
As the sun begins to fade
And the band begins to play
I let the music take me home
To the streets where I belong

:(

this has a one-minute spoken word intro and when she starts singing it weirdly sounds a lot like Stay Another Day :D gorgeous though! she says it's her favourite on the album.

Quite excited that we are going to have the album in just over a week.

I may have bought the recently announced 'limited' CD, in addition to the previously ordered vinyl.

Lovely interview here

ENYA is the inspiration:

Another influence on the album’s mood was Enya, Annie laughs, who is one of Storm’s ongoing obsessions (he turned up to their first session in Berlin with an Enya album). “I think Enya brings you to a place where you want to be. She’s like the mum taking care of everyone! You want to wrap yourself up in this place she creates.”

This is a really great deep dive, but (nothing really to do with Annie :D) I HATE how it references her "good looking" appearance throughout and downplays some of her previous achievements - but that's the typical dated, dour Quietus writing style I guess.

I agree and I do find their turn of phrase quite awkward. Still, nice to have such an extended interview with her.

Whew I'm loving this album on first listen. It's JUST what I want from Annie at this late stage in my life :disco:

Dreamy, Lynchian, cinematic and not trying to recreate the spiky pop sound of the likes of Chewing Gum and Me Plus One.

Initial faves are In Heaven and Mermaid Dreams, which are stronger than most of the singles released so far to my ears. SO HAPPY she kept some gold back for the album launch.

I could really see this being my favourite Annie album when the dust settles. It's such a cohesive and atmospheric body of work :disco:

I love the longing, wintery mood of the album.

I'm not too familiar with how the Norwegians roll, but after hearing Forever '92 I had to check her birth date and was surprised to see she's 42.

god, Miracle Mile and Forever '92 are just... beautiful, warm, evocative, sad, melancholy and transcendent. what she's done with this album is quite incredible. POPPING UP more than a decade after her last proper album to elevate her artistry in this way, it's wild. the second half switch-up in Mermaid Dreams :disco: reminds me of GRIMES

7.1 from Pitchfork

"In heaven" is brilliant - it's the synthwave / Don Henley's "boys of summer" autumnal vibe mash-up that should create a new subgenre.

this album is making me so randomly emotional! I can't get over Miracle Mile and Forever '92, the solos that pop up near the end of both songs (and The Streets) just destroy me :D I have a problem

WHAT an album. :disco:

I need someone to put the entire thing over one of those synthwave videos on Youtube I’ve become obsessed with recently. I need to listen to it as I’m travelling through an 80s 8-bit neon city.

bd1b04ae480a107f6335219c6a561f6d.gif

Parts of this album really are very Julee Cruise, aren't they?

I love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom