AS6 E12: This is our Country

I expected it from looking at the socials but definitely the most underwhelming AS winner since Chad Michaels.

Reactions: VoR
Very boring episode but I’m pleased with the winner.

It has to be said though that she’s barely done anything memorable in her original season and Snatch Game aside, she hasn’t stood out much in terms of performance in this season either. Her personality though is very sweet and plaisant.

I skipped a lot of the episode. I just can’t with them forced sentimentality.

Fantastic winner, but an overlong episode with a lot of padding - all of the actual performance stuff was great though.

Aww really happy for her she’s just so lovely !
The progression from original season is amazing

Nah, that was nonsense. She wasn’t anywhere near being the best on the season or the finale. A political nonsense decision. Still, she seems lovely and so pleased for her from that sense.

I wasn't expecting that, but I'm happy for her, it's a nice little fairytale story. I do agree though that as an AS winner she's amongst the weakest we've had.

Boring episode over all. I'm just glad it didn't go to Ginger. The way, out of nowhere, she pulled the 'these are the moments I wish my grandma was still here' card in the workroom was just so transparent and CRINGE :zombie:

THRILLED for Kylie, what an absolute sweetheart of a winner, at a time when America really desperately NEEDS visible positive trans role models.
I can count on ONE HAND the amount of transpeople with vaguely mainstream US media recognition, and the ones that have positive connotations are probably on one FINGER.

I wish the show had beefed her edit up a bit however - she absolutely could have been given a harder winners edit should the show have wished (The Ball and Snatch Game would have been easy to frame as wins for example), but she was basically high almost every single week and by far the runway queen of the season also. It is however a shame TKB wasn’t on stage with her.

Can’t say I love the phrase “political nonsense” in regards to her win. Drag has always been political, sour grapes are unbecoming. No need to discredit Kylie’s achievements because your favourite didn’t win.

Yeah they did what they always do and followed the likes and she has the most on Instagram by a good margin and Ra’jah and her are equal on Twitter.

Wellllll they don't always do that - Monet had the lowest like count in the run-up to that finale I think, and Katya was way out in front in her year

It certainly wasn't true for either UK series either.

It certainly wasn't true for either UK series either.
Oh, were you only talking about All Stars? Not sure if it's been true for recent US regular seasons.

Last edited:
I think she was a great choice. She still seems a bit NUMB sometimes, but she grew on me a lot and think she's a fantastic pick.

Ginger is definitely the more talented queen but a Ginger win just doesn't seem right for some reason :D

Still have the softest spot for Ra'Jah. Not a single second this episode where she didn't look 11/10

Eureka was the weakest link this episode, but had fun confessionals. I also think she had the best speech.

Shocked but pleased at the result - to be honest I did think this episode did a good job of showing why all four of them deserved to be there, and I would have been fine with any of them winning (or at least understanding of Ginger).

I also don't like the gloop but I don't think this ep overdid that. The only dead weight was the fake-out rehearsals for the choreo that we barely see.
I think Eureka won the Eleganza, Ginger won the confessional, Kylie won the performance and Ra'Jah won the lipsync, so good job everyone.

The biggest :D was after the hysteria over the Tanya Tucker announcement and the hysteria over the Jamal Sims announcement, the reaction to the Tic Tac lunch was basically nootch with Eureka politely saying "Oh that sounds like fun actually!" :D

Anyway various points;
Raj'ah's eleganza "oh and a nasty leeeg out" :D
Kylie's lipsync outfit :disco: - not even sure if that WAS a fake fall
Eureka calling out Ginger's leather crown in confessionals :D
I'll say it again, I feel like Ru really IS enjoying this and being genuine - because I've seen her TRY to act :eyes:
Eureka's video outfit serving "I love this outfit even though it's nothing to do with anything
Ginger's eleganza looking straight out of someone else's closet, with Ginger's hairdo, bit of a weird mix

Yeah that's probably it.
I know it's traditional for finale threads to be people at pains to be meh or make pissed-off one-line posts, but I did really enjoy this season.

Can’t say I love the phrase “political nonsense” in regards to her win. Drag has always been political, sour grapes are unbecoming. No need to discredit Kylie’s achievements because your favourite didn’t win.

We all know drag race is political nonsense and always has been. It’s overproduced and doesn’t always pay attention to cold hard facts. This is nothing to do with my favourite not winning- indeed, Ginger’s “I’m a winner, baby” speech actually made me think I wanted someone else to win. But I still maintain she had by far the better record, was far better in the final challenge and felt like she “deserved” the win far more. Hell, even Ra’jah with more wins and only one real “bottom” and one group one actually had a better track record.

I genuinely think Kylie was the choice from the start. Her one win was engineered (it was baffling that she won the Rumerican Horror Story when she actually wasn’t very good) and if you think Drag Race didn’t see the opportunity that a first trans winner would bring and pushed the narrative that way, you’re blind. Especially after Rupaul’s awful comments a few years ago needed some serious Rudemption.

I think Kylie has had a brilliant season. She just blatantly wasn’t the winner. And you have to ask yourself why and there really is only one answer- label that how you want.

Last edited:
And I understand we’re still in pandemic times but a studio finale really doesn’t cut it. It was so MUTED.

And I understand we’re still in pandemic times but a studio finale really doesn’t cut it. It was so MUTED.

Studio or not, but I really hate the recording of several endings. You can tell the reactions are fake. Imagine if we got to see Kylie’s genuine reaction to her win (on stage).

Studio or not, but I really hate the recording of several endings. You can tell the reactions are fake. Imagine if we got to see Kylie’s genuine reaction to her win (on stage).

Absolutely. It doesn’t work at all. With a crowd there, at least there is some emotion.

Again, probably not now, but a live final would be the only way.

Well, it's just a shame that the trade of the season, Ms. Eureka! didn't stomp her way to victory. But Kylie is a nice girl, so why not? At least the increasingly sociopathic Ginger didn't get it. Watching her try to pop her puss was... quite something.

and if you think Drag Race didn’t see the opportunity that a first trans winner would bring and pushed the narrative that way, you’re blind. Especially after Rupaul’s awful comments a few years ago needed some serious Rudemption.

But I never said any of that :D

In a relatively close top 4, with no runaway winner - and one where two of them (Ginger and Eureka) had already won a considerable amount of prize money, I have absolutely zero problem with the show chosing to lift up Kylie over the other three.

If her being trans tipped the win in her favour then so be it quite frankly.
As I said in my post above, America is absolutely BEREFT of positive trans role models in the media (Elliot Page if the only one I can think of on the top of my head), and if Kylie being a winner helps to add to that narrative in ANY WAY as a positive addition to that conversation then so be it.
I’m happy the show chose to do so and FINALLY try to change how it has previously borderline ignored the trans community.

Political yes, nonsense no.

I think Kylie has the least charisma of the final four, which does irk me somewhat (particularly for an All Stars winner), but I agree that the final four all had strong claims to the crown in various ways and there was little in it, regardless of placements. So for that reason, and for the fact that a show like Drag Race absolutely should be championing and elevating trans queens, her win pleases me.

Even if Kylie had not won, she still had one of THE best rudemptions in the show's history.

But it sucks because this was the closest we ever came to larger queen winning. And not many are more talented than Ginger and Eureka imo. With the obvious exception of Mimi Imfurst of course.

Kylie was no sure deal, but had clearly put the work in and it absolutely showed. Her acting was fantastic - it just wasn't drag race acting and was all the better for it. Anyway, if it was decided from the outset (and I know no one has technically said this) then why not get Peppermint on who is a fucking icon at this point. Lets not forget we have the super lovely, shy and nice Gia on since Ru made those "I don't do bitchy, I do sassy" bitchy comments :eyes:

Rah'Ja and Eureka had the best verses. Eureka's eye make up in the work room getting ready looked absolutely stunning and very Annie Lennox (Why). When her speech was hitting home I was already expecting the worst from Ginger who did not disappoint. How can anyone decide she's the winner when she's already decided for you? Her airbrushing of All Stars 2 as some kind of botched job she had no control over wrapped things up for her before the main stage anyway. Never change Ginge, you were amazing.

I think Rah'Ja and Kylie are both emerging from this as more well rounded contestants that does boost their charge in a way that both Ginger and Eureka being simply better than their already established standards doesn't generate the same excitement over for the producers (and I'm convinced we got a R'J "oh my gawwwd" dubbed as just one example of their needless cut and pasting), but I don't think the result was unfair in this regard. In this sense, All Stars did what it was supposed to.

An excellent series. I can't wait to watch it again.

I DUG MYSELF OUT OF THE DRAG RACE GRAVE :disco:

This episode was meh but I'm overjoyed at the winner.

I just want them to go back to All Stars 2 and give them 16 bars in the song. It's the single biggest reason Read U Wrote U remains the best finale song, and by a country mile.

The thing I don’t like about the songs is that either the tempo is too high or the parts are too short (the latter for sure this time), I usually struggle to hear what they’re saying when it’s so fast, even if the lyrics are good.

of course RYWY is the all-time for me, but Kitty Girl and American were good in this respect.

I really wish they hadn’t spunked Condragulations away as an early S13 song

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom