Björk - 'Vespertine'

But the darkest pit in me is pagan poetry.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think that in 2021 it might be my favourite B album.

1630007681515.png

The whole album feels like a giant hug. And it's so seasonal - best in the winter but still perfectly enjoyable in summer.

10 Hidden Place
10 Cocoon
10 It's Not Up To You
09 Undo
11 Pagan Poetry
08 Frosti
09 Aurora
09 An Echo, A Stain
09 Sun In My Mouth
08 Heirloom
09 Harm of Will
09 Unison

09 Generous Palmstroke

The Queen.

It's between this and Homogenic for me. For the first two albums it's singles-amazing-album-patchy but this is her imperial phase. The Dancer In The Dark soundtrack is essential too.

I have this! Matmos! Zeena Parkins!

It was one of those funny things, a bit like Radiohead going all Aphex because I had records by both of them before they worked with Bjork. She's very like Bowie in that way - totally aware of what's going on around her and always looking for new people with whom to work.

God, An Echo, A Stain... I always forget how dark and pulsing and MENACING this is.

Don't say no to me, you can't say no to me...
I won't see you denied :o

This live version of Unison where her voice just SOARS towards the end! I say it a lot about this but I honestly fucking can't, she was just on fire for this whole performance.

I had some CDs of bootleg concert recordings around this time, and I recall that one of them had a version of Who Is It in the style of a Vespertine song. I think the story went that it was intended for that album, but the custom-made music box plates weren't ready in time for the album so it had to be shelved (but they got them in time for the tour). As much as I love the version we eventually got (the Bell Choir mix is the highlight of the Medulla project for me), I'd love her to give us her interpretation of the original one day.

I had no idea but it makes sense! Who Is It always felt a bit odd to me on Medulla and would have made much more sense on Vespertine.

Reactions: COB
"I love him, I love him, I love him, I love him, I love him, I love him, I love him, I love him,"

"she loves him, she loves him, she loves him, she loves him, she loves him, she loves him, she loves him, she loves him"

Spine-tingling.

And it makes me want to
HAND MYself OVER

(Sometimes I interpret it as “hurt myself” but anyway)

• Care
Reactions: COB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom