Colin v Cuthbert: M&S takes Aldi to Court over Caterpillar Cake

Chocolate cake is DOGSHIT QUITE FRANKLY

A POX ON THEM BOTH!

I wonder if you can get any other flavours because chocolate is just a bit much.

I have FINALLY found this manky old cook book from the 70s that we used to use with the nicest dessert ever. I will be making this very soon. Every other recipe in the book looks vile apart from this.

11E2B54F-C7F0-4154-851D-971A7CC358F5.jpeg

Remember that, in spite of the perception in the UK, Aldi is by far the bigger company.

Remember that, in spite of the perception in the UK, Aldi is by far the bigger company.
Good point - Aldi has excellent PR but M&S is right to protect its IP and successful, original ideas (particularly at a time when it is experiencing a commercial renaissance that it probably quite fragile).

They're 1 and 2 in the most favoured supermarket list. I like to see the rivalry through that lens.

I'd say no one is losing here. I presume the supermarkets understand that most consumers will likely use more than one over a short period if time. I've used Tesco, Sainsbury, Aldi, Lidl and M&S in the last week.

Last edited:
If I were accused of violating a competitor’s intellectual property, I don’t believe I’d make it a central part of my marketing that the two products are indistinguishable except for the price.

I pretty much use all at some point apart from Lidl. This is just giving major publicity to the product in both stores. I wouldn’t be surprised if this was orchestrated by both of them. But M&S just need to ramp up their social media presence :D

I keep seeing people say that M&S have a history of copying Co-Op products too.

I will also say that, if Aldi manage to lose the case(s), this marketing will make the judge really angry when he comes to assess damages.

I'd say no one is losing here. I presume the supermarkets understand that most consumers will likely use more than one over a short period if time. I've used Tesco, Sainsbury, Aldi, Lidl and M&S in the last week.
Me too. I'm a complete supermarket whore. I think Morrisons is the only one I don't use, and that's only because there isn't a convenient one locally.

And I will say that I think this year, Lidl's Christmas offering is by far the strongest of all of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom