Coronavirus

Are you worried about contracting coronavirus?

• Yes, I am absolutely terrified

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Yes, I am slightly concerned

Votes: 35 45.5%
  • I am neither concerned or unconcerned

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • No, I am slightly unconcerned

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • No, I am totally unconcerned

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Bring back the old poll

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Charlotte Awbrey tits out doing the Macarena

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I believe VoR is evil

Votes: 11 14.3%

• Total voters
it feels to me they want the unvaccinated to get infected, if they’re not willing to use it as a preventative measure, but only once the horse has bolted.

Everything about their ‘plan’ screams “only if things get catastrophic otherwise we want to protect your freedoms so that we don’t have to deal with any more backlash from anti vaxxers, or really anything that could harm us in the polls”

does this government ever do anything that isn’t reactionary? Do they ever actually do anything that’s preventative?

What’s the point of bringing them in once there has already been a surge?!?

Also I don’t understand:
  • Indoor settings with 500+ people
  • Outdoor settings with 1000+ people
  • Anywhere with 10000 people
When does that third category kick in? What other kinds of settings are there beyond indoor and outdoor?

Also surely the point of the passports was to encourage people to get vaccinated or discourage people who don’t want to get vaccinated to avoid crowded events. If someone buys a ticket to a concert, then they change the rules a week before, all that means is one of many empty seats at the concert. The ticket buyer, the venue, the ticket seller AND the performer has no time to fix the issue. Either to not buy the ticket In the first place, sell the ticket to someone else, postpone the date… none of this can be done.

I don’t think they’ve really looked at the conseq-

oh wait, it’s the Tories. Makes sense now.

Everything about their ‘plan’ screams “only if things get catastrophic otherwise we want to protect your freedoms so that we don’t have to deal with any more backlash from anti vaxxers, or really anything that could harm us in the polls”

does this government ever do anything that isn’t reactionary? Do they ever actually do anything that’s preventative?
Would it hurt them in the polls though? The public have generally been supportive of the protective measures that have been taken. This reluctance to just swallow the medicine now (and not at the very last minute when it is almost impossible to effectively implement) seems ideologically driven as ever - pandering to the aspects of the party and its media cheerleaders which have co-opted the pandemic as some form of ultra libertarian counter-revolution.

I'm going to a large outdoor event in two weeks and I've seen that they've requested you do a lateral flow 24 hours before as they will be doing spot-checks on the day. Seems a sensible compromise to get people to only come if they're negative without over-policing it. How many spot-checks they actually do remains to be seen of course...

They haven't put it that clearly on the email either so be interesting to see if anyone's turned away.

Looks like the un-vaxxed are pretty much being BANNED from international travel, with them now having to isolate for 10 days after returning from ANY country, whilst the rules for vaxxed travellers are about to be heavily relaxed.

How do they know who is who if they don’t have vacc passports?

We do have a thing called a covid pass on the NHS app which shows whether your vaxxed or not, their use for large events just hasn’t been implemented.

We do have a thing called a covid pass on the NHS app which shows whether your vaxxed or not, their use for large events just hasn’t been implemented.
So far using it for theatre has been flashing it at the venue. No check of names, dates or scanning any of the codes. You can also get a 48 hour code after a negative LFT, and it lasts for one month if you have been double vaccinated. But if you add it to your phone wallet or take a screen shot, as the dates aren’t being checked then it’s pretty easy to fake one if you were that much of an arsehole.

Also of course, with the LFT’s all you need to do is manually record a negative result on the NHS site whether you actually took it or not.

I’m oop North in Blackpool for the weekend and I’ve been shocked by how little mask wearing is happening. Practically zero. I’ve been told twice that “Covid is over” and everywhere I go am told “oh you don’t need that anymore” when I have my mask on. It’s fucking insane.

I’m oop North in Blackpool for the weekend and I’ve been shocked by how little mask wearing is happening. Practically zero. I’ve been told twice that “Covid is over” and everywhere I go am told “oh you don’t need that anymore” when I have my mask on. It’s fucking insane.
We had that in Croatia this summer. We had our masks on in restaurants, at least when going in and before being seated. And everyone would just STARE.

We had that in Croatia this summer. We had our masks on in restaurants, at least when going in and before being seated. And everyone would just STARE.

It is interesting how much herd mentality there is around mask wearing. We had a visit to school recently and were told we must wear a mask indoors. A lot turned up without and obviously nothing was said, my very sensible GP friend actually took hers off because she said she was the only one in the class wearing one.

I can't remember if I mentioned on here about a podcast I listened to recently :o

It was with a professor of airborne transmission. He was saying how him and his colleagues very early on put forward to to the WHO about how covid is airborne and the single best thing we can do is wear a mask. They were told by the WHO that they were working for ventilation companies and just wanted to make money.
The WHO has 6 surface transmission experts on their panel and hence the constant hand washing messages. However there is very little evidence of it being passed via surfaces, it is an airborne disease.

I went to London over the weekend and it was insane how majority of people didn’t have masks on, especially as over here in NI we still have to wear them. It has resulted in me being dead with the cold for the last few days (got tested for covid to be safe and negative) but shows much people wearing masks has really stopped general illnesses spreading as well. This is the first time I recall being sick since 2019!

I live in a flat and it’s really frustrating because people always want to cram in the (tiny) lift with you and you feel rude asking them not to.

It’s almost (but not quite) enough to make you take the STAIRS :zombie:

There really is a difference between the north and south when it comes to health. I feel quite isolated by the mentality here. My family are pretty good generally, but most people just see covid as an inconvenient cold now. Someone at work had it last week, I didn't know, only found out in passing because we were talking about covid. She just came back into the office "when she felt better"...

I can't remember if I mentioned on here about a podcast I listened to recently :o

It was with a professor of airborne transmission. He was saying how him and his colleagues very early on put forward to to the WHO about how covid is airborne and the single best thing we can do is wear a mask. They were told by the WHO that they were working for ventilation companies and just wanted to make money.
The WHO has 6 surface transmission experts on their panel and hence the constant hand washing messages. However there is very little evidence of it being passed via surfaces, it is an airborne disease.

Exactly! And the fact that we are still getting told to wash our hands shows that even Britain has learnt nothing. Whereas from the moment corona was in danger of becoming a pandemic, my friend from Hong Kong understood that it was airborne and told me to mask up. Ridiculous.

Mind you there’s the same airborne worry in Japan, and the majority of people are still wearing masks all the time despite the cases being much higher…

but they even had famous bands making hand-washing songs!

And whatever this is:

Same in Slovenia (by the coast) 2 months ago. I found myself double-taking at the sheer nonchalance of people in the face of a still-raging pandemic for most of the first 2 days.

Literally would have shat my pants if I hadn't been fully vaccinated.

Just read that the fuckers are going to start charging for LFTs some time soon. STOCK UP NOW!

At least that means my work will stop asking for LFT results to enter the building.

I mean, it's a bad thing overall but solves a minor ballache at least.

The lack of mask wearing is really surprising. Is there no requirement in England any more?

I was out earlier and about 90% of people had masks on in each shop. I guess masks still being mandatory up here really makes a difference.

Oh it definitely makes a difference. It's that 'well I don't have to, and they aren't bothering, so I won't', getting slightly more noticeable each time I go out.

This is definitely a bit book of stat-ish, but I'd say people in the 25-40 kind of age range are the most compliant.

I went to the pub yesterday and was very uncomfortable as no one was wearing a mask when walking around the place whether that be order a drink, or go to the toilet. It actually made me feel quite anxious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom