Cyberpunk 2077

No job is worth ANYONE's health, even a doctor, let alone a game developer, there are literally thousands of games you could play instead. Just because some people are willing to do crunch doesn't mean it's right or that it should be allowed or legitimised. And I don't think the answer to people denouncing it is "oh it's bad IN ALL SORTS OF JOBS". Well how about we strive for better working conditions for EVERYONE?

I'm not allowing it or legitimising it, i was just asking in curiosity what makes it different.

Better working conditions for everyone is indeed something worth fighting for.

The gaming industry is notoriously bad when it comes to these things because it's a relatively new industry, with a BIG percentage of young employees who go into the sector out of PURE PASSION and are therefore a lot more vulnerable to exploitation ("isn't this what you always wanted to do?"). To say nothing of the amount of NEURODIVERGENT people who work in areas like coding, animation and design for which overworking is a coping mechanism that will eventually manifest itself in burnout, stress and depression. Crucially, they are not unionised so they don't have the power to negotiate better conditions unless at an individual level.

Thank you for answering my question, albeit a bit ragey. I'm only raising something in curiosity, I wasn't being accusatory, and don't think we should be uncivil.

I've worked in TV for many years and it's an industry with LONG HOURS and OVERTIME, but it's not +12 hours a day 7 days a week for over a year like the reports about CDPR claim, because the amount of people calling BECTU would stop it in a heartbeat. The management at CDPR had to send an email apologising to the spouses of their employees for them not having been around for a sustained period of time. I mean, what the hell kind of modern slavery is this shit?

Clearly that's not acceptable. Great that you can relate in some way.

I mean, I can relate too, despite being in an entirely different, also minimally unionised industry. I've been working unsociable hours regularly, stressed to the eyeballs and ready to jump out of windows at times. Doesn't stop me being curious about the focus here.

latest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom