Depeche Mode - Memento Mori

I'll always give new DM music a go although I never picked up Spirit as I didn't like the singles. They look odd as a duo (also consider: Depeche Mode - DM - Dave, Martin :o )

They only did one big London show last time, I think. I saw them in 2013 and am now particularly glad I did given that this now seems to be the touring model and also RIP Fletch.

I quite like it :disco: even if it doesn't really go anywhere. Is it a tribute to Andy? I'd like to think so.

Dave would still get it and the crawling in his trademark leather waistcoat still does things to me.

I'm pretty much the singles only as far as Depeche Mode go (and I don't think I could pick out anything from the last few albums) but that new one is really beautiful.

Reactions: LTZ
The new album is maybe their best since Violator .. at least it’s the first one I have listened to all the way through and not actively disliked a single song. I was such a huge fan until Violator, but after that it was over for me

There isn't anything that hits me as hard as Ghosts Again but the album is a really solid listen top to bottom. Lots of lovely vintage sounding synths, not least on Wagging Tongue and Caroline's Monkey.

The crazy pricing for the album though... They have their most classic sounding single for aeons, lots of positive coverage and goodwill then price the album so that anyone not in their core fanbase would abandon any consideration of purchasing. A 'deluxe' single CD with no extra songs in a pretty basic looking little book format for £25, and the regular CD priced similarly ridiculously.

There isn't anything that hits me as hard as Ghosts Again but the album is a really solid listen top to bottom. Lots of lovely vintage sounding synths, not least on Wagging Tongue and Caroline's Monkey.

The crazy pricing for the album though... They have their most classic sounding single for aeons, lots of positive coverage and goodwill then price the album so that anyone not in their core fanbase would abandon any consideration of purchasing. A 'deluxe' single CD with no extra songs in a pretty basic looking little book format for £25, and the regular CD priced similarly ridiculously.
What else are artists supposed to do when streaming royalties are basically nil and everyone now regards music as being basically free and thinks they have some sort of right to get it as such? I agree that it sounds a bit pricey but STILL!

What else are artists supposed to do when streaming royalties are basically nil and everyone now regards music as being basically free and thinks they have some sort of right to get it as such? I agree that it sounds a bit pricey but STILL!

I am sure that Depeche Mode are getting by on their tour ticket sales. It just seems well above the going rate. Maybe the extra £ they'll make on purchases by their fanbase will make up for lost casual sales.

They haven't got cassettes, t-shirts, vinyl, clear vinyl and flasks in special bundles? For me, it's not that I think music is for free, but that I don't have a CD player and never stuck with iTunes (I would absolutely love to have a collection in some sort of player though, so really should make an effort). I do buy the odd album though (can't say my last purchase to ensure asfm-anonymity sadly, but it was a few days ago).

Taking it out on the people who are still onboard is a very short-term strategy.

My worry is that this is a move towards any physical format being considered "premium" rather than how it has been the last few years where the CD price has been fairly flat but the profit is made on double LPs on piss coloured vinyl with an etching of the singer's PRIVATES on side D. I have seen a few CDs at £14 that would have been £11-12 last year which is to be expected when runs are shorter than even but £18 can fuck off.

I PROPER LOVE Ghosts Again now. It's very haunting and I love the way Dave DRAWLS out the flowers line.

The other single I heard was one hell of a meaningless RACKET.

First listen and I do like this album but it feels more like lovely background music than anything IMMEDIATE. That might make it a real grower though.

I hope so. Ghosts Again really has grown on me, and a first listen of the album was really promising. I didn’t like the last 3 or 4 at all.

I never got beyond a few cursory spins of the Greatest Hits with Depeche Mode, but I’m taking advantage of the lighter evenings to embark on a chronological journey through the discography.

The first two were strictly singles + filler, but I get the impression they peak around the early 90s so I’ll persevere.

The album run from Black Celebration (86) to Songs Of Faith And Devotion (93) is their purple patch, but there is a load of great stuff beside them.

Violator (90) is pretty much flawless.

Reactions: VoR
I never got beyond a few cursory spins of the Greatest Hits with Depeche Mode, but I’m taking advantage of the lighter evenings to embark on a chronological journey through the discography.

The first two were strictly singles + filler, but I get the impression they peak around the early 90s so I’ll persevere.
If you've SURVIVED the DREADED 'A Broken Frame' then THE ONLY WAY IS UP

God what a load of old TOOT that album is

I like Leave in Silence but yes, there wasn’t much else to reccomend that one!

I don’t think dear Donna is entirely right about A Broken Frame.

Leave In Silence, See You and The Meaning Of Love alone are all very much worthwhile.

Don't Say You Love Me has a dramatic flair that is almost Bond-esque.

I really like Wagging Tongue but would like a version which kicks in with a bit more oomph.

I don’t think dear Donna is entirely right about A Broken Frame.

Leave In Silence, See You and The Meaning Of Love alone are all very much worthwhile.
Except of course, she is. A Broken Frame is definitely their worst 80s album.

They still commit to a remix EP:

The Wet Leg version seems to have the NMF placements. I like the more faithful Kid Moxie one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom