Diddy's Asian Persuasion III - Sunday May 23 13.00 BST

PART 4 - MODERN LIFE ISN'T RUBBISH

15) Mondo Grosso - False Sympathy

ASFM sad-bop outfit Mondo Grosso went down a storm in Katevision, so I thought I should look for a second helping. A typically understating grower, the Kyoto-based DJ producer has critical acclaim in many fields, but recently had some success as a solo act his own right.

Fun fact, I had never heard this before today but I wanted a sequel to all my recent ASFM entries. I think my spider sense paid off!

16) Masaki Suda - Niji

Recently named the most bankable actor in Japan, Masaki Suda scored another huge hit with "Niji", meaning rainbow. This track soundtracked one of the latest Doraemon movies, and leaned into his more sentimental ballad territory - not his usual style but certainly his most successful. His hair isn't even a disaster in this touching video, for a change.

Spotifying the shit out of that.

The soundtrack is better than the film (but worth a watch) - Their other soundtrack album, to "Your Name / Kimi no na" is FANTASTIC, my most played album ever (it's mostly instrumental with a few killer singles that have vocals, so I used it while I studied a lot)

I'm glad I binned off Aimyon then, she's a huge star but she wrote this and I'm sure her own song would've gotten a similar reaction!

17) Kyary Pamyu Pamyu - HARAJUKU IYAHOI

Well she was a bit of a flop at Diddyvision, but I feel a twinge when I hear this song. She is THE Harajuku artist, combining the electronic sugar pop sounds of Capsule (Perfume's producer) with sumptuous and unusual visuals, this is a tribute to Harajuku.

The theme of this section was leftover bits I didn't have a theme for a representation of modern Japanese pop now

Weirdly I get a bit emotional with this one, it sort of summarises everything I love about Japan and its innocent oddness. Some weirdly minor-key runs too just GET ME

Expecting Lala Ri at any point

m3pz2i9592t61.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom