Donna Summer - Encore (THIRTY-THREE DISC box set)

What the FUCK? I never knew they had that many albums...and one of them seems to be called "Cruisin'"!! Also, what in the actual hell is going on with the sleeve second from the right? The combination of their weird New Romantic and the album next to it seemingly being called "Fox On The Box" has weirded me right out.

Speaking as someone who has seen "CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC" I have to warn everyone DON'T GO DOWN THAT TUNNEL

Speaking as someone who has seen "CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC" I have to warn everyone DON'T GO DOWN THAT TUNNEL

Mr Sheena and I were discussing this today. TERRIBLE.

But I did flog my DVD I bought for a fiver for £35 so it’s all good.

Mine is apparently seven stops away, together with the Dua Lipa LP. :disco:

However, I am at work so it remains to be seen where it ends up. FINGERS CROSSED

Mine is ALSO being delivered today, but sadly to work. I have asked a MINION if she can let me know though and I might SNEAK OUT later to get it- it would be QUITE the QUARANTINE TICKET :disco:

Some amazon deliveries show it for more, but not this one. The ETA is any time NOW, though.

If Amazon are delivering it usually shows for me once they are nearish.

Anyway, delivered half hour ago. Hopefully it is sitting outside my flat.

Well the box is certainly weighty and it looks nice. However once opened (and obviously not wanting to be a DISCO DEBBIE DOWNER) the card sleeves are going to require great care and the package is very impractical.

I've been too busy with Dua to listen to anything yet, but I will get to it over the weekend.

Mine won't get here until Tuesday even though I ordered it at the same time as all of you did! :(
Have you checked your account recently? Mine was saying Tuesday until a couple of days ago.

I haven't played a single thing yet, but finally managed to get my mitts on the box set at work today and my god, it's absolutely beautiful. The presentation is absolutely top notch- in fairness, Donna's reissues pretty much have been so far. Just wish it was complete- you could kinda expect that for £170- but minor griping. Let's hope the remastering is as good as the aesthetic.

Yeah mine arrived yesterday and I've not even opened it yet!

I can't for the life of me upload it on Discogs though... the bar code isn't recognised (yet)..

Yeah mine arrived yesterday and I've not even opened it yet!

I can't for the life of me upload it on Discogs though... the bar code isn't recognised (yet)..

I just went to do it 2 seconds ago :D

Time to make your first submission, Suedey!

You would have thought there would have been at least one working from home homosexual who would have put it on Discogs by now.

I'm three albums in and they sound good to these ears. Would guess that any issues are more likely to be found with the bonus discs, but hopefully there will be no glaring problems. My listening plan is to gradually work through all the albums in order, interspersed with the bonuses; I'm not sure I will be able to face the Christmas album mind.

The essay is wonderful too, my current bedtime reading.

I know it may SEEM HARD TO BELIEVE, but there will be an OLD GAY with EVEN MORE SEVERE OCD along to do it in a week or so, MARK MY WORDS

Popped Lady Of The Night on tonight and it’s better than I remember it. Obviously The Hostage is still :disco: but there’s some other good bits on there- I really enjoyed Wounded.

Only got through the title track of Love To Love You Baby before we popped a film on, but the sound quality is grand. Already well worth the money just for that!

Listening to them one after another, I very much enjoyed the first two albums but A Love Trilogy was such a step up.

And eighteen minutes of Try Me, I Know We Can Make It over seventeen minutes of Love to Love You Baby every time.

A Love Trilogy was where it first properly went properly disco. I read a review that said those albums between LTLYB and I Remember Yesterday haven’t aged well- fucking nonsense. Four Seasons of Love is INCREDIBLE.

Try Me, I Know We Can Make It is sublime, but that album is all about Wasted for me :disco:

Got my box set yesterday but haven’t had the chance to listen to it yet. Would anyone be up for me restarting my Kala does Donna Summer thread?
I didn't get the box set as I haven't dipped into Donna much beyond the singles but have always wanted to, so do go ahead

I've just realised I don't even own Bad Girls! :o

I think introducing me to THAT back catalogue may be the best thing Mr L ever did for me :disco:

I was genuinely just imagining how WONDERFUL it would be to discover someone as absolutely fucking magnificent as Donna Summer and have all of that to wade through.

I was a relative latecomer (I had a Greatest Hits I loved, but it was early 00s I think when I got all the studio albums) and I remember not being able to take them off. I miss those "discovery days"- I can't think there's many artists out there who I haven't "found" yet who would provoke the same reaction in me.

I'm up to Cats Without Claws, which is a much better, more consistent (and synthtastic) album than patchy old She Works Hard for the Money. Those in demand spiritual numbers do drag down the early eighties albums.

I'm up to Cats Without Claws, which is a much better, more consistent (and synthtastic) album than patchy old She Works Hard for the Money. Those in demand spiritual numbers do drag down the early eighties albums.

Cats Without Claws was my big surprise when I finally found it on vinyl a few years ago. I think it’s genuinely her best non-disco album. Supernatural Love is a lost classic and I have a real soft spot for the GAY OLE DRAMA of Oh Billy, Please :disco:

Just been watching the A Hot Summer Night special on YouTube. She really was quite aggressively Christian at that point, and had the nerve to toss out the four Bad Girls hits in a fleeting medley right after an interminable rendition of Woman complete with drawn out band introductions.

The live vocals were on point though, AS EVER. In album form Don't Cry For Me Argentina ain't that exciting but live it was quite a moment, despite some of its time staging.

Interesting that she did Romeo too, presumably because of Flashdance, but I wonder if it would have been a proper hit in different circumstances. It is very early Cyndi Lauper.

I have now completed my run through Donna's complete(ish) works and it has been thoroughly enjoyable. So many lost gems on the bonus discs too, even if a little less duplication of Love to Love You Donna and The Ultimate Collection in the mixes chosen would have been appreciated. I Feel Love and Breakaway seem to pop up A LOT too.

Now to find somewhere to put the rather large box. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom