Erika de Casier

win_the_game

Infidel dickpig
Well now seems about as good a time as any after the INCREDIBLE reception @RJN's ASFM entry received this evening. I liked it at least.

The album 'Essentials' is available on all streaming platforms now. Despite some decent reviews, it largely went under the radar last year.

Reactions: RJN
I will investigate this

and let’s be honest, getting a thread started about your artist choice is a bigger win than getting most points in ASFM. Well done @RJN

I’m claiming this as a moral victory.

and I agree that Essentials was very good. Little Bit was my favorite, as well as Intimate, but maybe others will prefer other songs. Plus I admire the gall she has in naming her album “Essentials”.

I have had A Little Bit stuck in my head since @RJN sent his entry, I shall give the others a spin!

Reactions: RJN
The new album 'Sensational' is just SENSATIONAL :disco: I love it so much. She seems to exist entirely in a genre of her own. It takes a bit of work, as some of her songs don't seem to follow traditional structures and hooks but I'm so impressed with it. Very possibly the album of the year. Some of the lyrics are amazing too, particularly on 'Polite' and 'Busy'.

It's giving me Protection era Massive Attack, meets late 90s/early 00s RnB production, meets the prime of the most intelligent UK garage tracks (MJ Cole is an obvious influence).
That she kind of makes the naff sounds heard in the late 90s British rip offs of American RnB production and somehow makes them expensive and COOL is quite the skill.

I'd quite like to see her live, but also imagine there's quite a strong chance she'd be a mumbly mess :D

Busy is so good, especially when it gets ridiculous spoken word. I'd call it a major stretch to say it's serving Massive Attack, and the album as a whole is a bit much/lacking variety. but she shows plenty of promise.

Busy is so good, especially when it gets ridiculous spoken word. I'd call it a major stretch to say it's serving Massive Attack, and the album as a whole is a bit much/lacking variety. but she shows plenty of promise.

I don't think it's a stretch AT ALL. I'm not saying it sounds like a Massive Attack album, just that they are a clear influence on the album and that elements of the production and spaciness of some of it is a clear nod to 90s trip hop - of which Massive Attack were one of the leaders.

Last edited:
oh my my my, I really like this! it's perfect for the bare-arsed, half-arsed tossing and turning on the linens these hot summer days

I tried to listen last night but got bored so turned off, might try it on in the background whilst doing something else. See it subliminally seeps in.

Well I’m delighted Erika has found a SELECT fanbase on here. :disco:

Essentials remains one of my favourite albums of the last couple years. The new one is good but needs a bit more time to embed.

Oh this album takes MULTIPLE listens in my opinion :D
I turned it off the first few times I tried, but I really love it now. It's much tighter and cohesive than the debut for me, and the songwriting is much better.

It's also got a bit of a whiff of STINA NORDENSTAM to it, if anybody remembers who she is :D Her 'And She Closed Her Eyes' album in particular.

Anyway, up there with Wolf Alice and White Flowers as an album of the year contender for me!

I’m a massive Stina fan (not that there’s been much in the way of output from Ms Reclusive since 2005). :disco:

I’ll need to give this another listen as I’m not hearing the Stina-vibe YET.

It's more the Nordic miserablism, phrasing/wordiness and desolate ambient vibe of the whole album that remind me of Stina rather than it being the same genre. Erika really sits in a complete world of her own making in my own mind - a bit like Stina does (did) too.

Production on this immediately makes me think of Gaelle’s Transient album.

“Friendly” is the instant highlight. Might come back to this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom