European Super League Football STRAIGHT PEOPLE MELTDOWN

I don’t support any LOCAL TEAMS but I do go out of my way to watch the Euros/World Cup etc

The EXCITMENT during 2018 when we were actually doing well made it all feel a bit Eurovision, particularly with the HEATWAVE on top of it all.
Winning 2018 was beyond amazing :disco:

Everyone’s in a big fucking hoo-ha but wasn’t the Premier League essentially born out of exactly the same principals - bring in more money for the clubs that actually bring in the money (who invited Tottenham though lol)

I do think it’s a bit shit in that there’s no jeopardy involved and it’s just a big boys club of millionaires waving their dicks about for the sole purpose of getting richer.

The LEAST they can do then is learn a good dance or lip sync routine then, since it’s not really about sport any more.

I hate football because it's so fucking dominant. If it wasn't, I'd probably enjoy it more.
I'd probably enjoy it more if my mates didn't talk about it all of the bastarding time. Like, I enjoy watching it but thanks to my dear pal dyspraxia I could never play it. I also have a terrible head for stats and the thousand different micro-facts you need to bust out to talk about a single game, so knowing I could never talk about it in the forensic way other people do just made me dig my heels in and learn as little as possible.

I hate football because it's so fucking dominant. If it wasn't, I'd probably enjoy it more.

Exactly this.

The really fucking annoying thing is, that it shouldn't be the football fans that are getting upset by this - it should be the non-football fans... because all this means is MORE FUCKING FOOTBALL. :|

Exactly this.

The really fucking annoying thing is, that it shouldn't be the football fans that are getting upset by this - it should be the non-football fans... because all this means is MORE FUCKING FOOTBALL. :|

It doesn't mean more football. It's supposed to effectively replace the Champion's League, which is already there.

Everyone’s in a big fucking hoo-ha but wasn’t the Premier League essentially born out of exactly the same principals - bring in more money for the clubs that actually bring in the money (who invited Tottenham though lol)
Absolutely this. I honestly didn’t know anything about this until I did some digging today. I was two when the Premier League came together so I literally just thought it was the name for the England’s top league.
I didn’t realise that it was essentially Thatcherism waving its big dick around in the sporting world.

The social and political element is unsurprisingly the thing I find the most compelling about this. That said, I get the impression that the grassroots game ceased to be a long time ago so I see this attempt as a symptom of what football has become rather than causing the demise of the game. It feels a bit rich for Sky Sports presenters to sit around condemning it when Murdoch’s empire has played a big role in making football the money machine that it is today.That said, it seems like this will have far reaching implications if it goes ahead in its proposed form.

Regarding the debate about football more broadly, I think I am able to be a bit more open-minded since i’ve never been expected to like it. I don’t hate it but there are two main things about its place in our culture that bothers me. As someone who has a lot of interests that it is seemingly fair game to take a pop at within the culture™️, the pedestal that football is placed on and the unquestioned seriousness with which i’m supposed to regard it fucks me off. The second thing is that I hate the workplace boys club culture that it creates around it. In my old job, the CEO would occasionally come over and chat to the guy who sat next to me about football whilst ignoring me and it continues to be source of BANTZ that I can’t participate in at my current place.

I’m not sure if anyone else here saw the snafu on Twitter earlier but there was a bit of a discourse between gays-who-like-football and those who don’t on Twitter earlier after Jack Remington posted the following:

I come down somewhere in the middle of it. I know a few gay guys who are really into football who think this kind of sentiment is regressive, but I also empathise with those who see the LGBT world as an escape from football’s hegemony outside of our spaces and as somewhere where you CAN take the piss out of it. I also wouldn’t blame people are assuming that gays who like football might be a dreadful masc4masc type. I’ll admit when I first saw my friends posting about football it occasionally felt like they were trying to prove a point, but they genuinely love the game and basically seem to want to claim football back from the mainstream, ultra-masculine culture that surrounds it. I kind of respect that and very much get the appeal of having a space where you can play or talk about it that feels totally removed from football fandom as most queer people understand it. I’m sure a few people on here can relate to loving things that have a predominantly awful cis straight male fanbase.

Last edited:
I'd like footy a lot more if it wasn't the rampant racism, homophobia and sexism. But it's not so much the clubs (although they could be doing more) it's the barbarism when you put a group of hyped up football fans in closed crowded spaces and sell alcohol. It's not just the hooligans and gangs, having been to many games it's quite widespread. And there's a general feeling of "it's just during the game, we don't mean it, it's all fine afterwards" to justify the behaviour. I just can't mesh with that kind of mentality.

But I do follow it and I love my team. Everton are pioneers of promoting equality in sport and have been doing, what other clubs and have now started doing, for years. It's amazing how influential football teams are and the work they do in the community is very important and is getting bigger now because of CSR and ethical business initiatives becoming trendy.

I was 10 when the Premier League started but have no actual memory of it being a particularly big story at the time. Was it?

I rather liked football when I was at school, but what @Tetris-Rock just described about where it falls in the hierarchy of our culture really explains why I’ve come to loathe it. There simply isn’t room for any other subject to be met with the same mass enthusiasm for some reason. Even our female director is a Chelsea supporter and she likes to insert “bantz” in to some of her update emails to appear more relatable.

There simply isn’t room for any other subject to be met with the same mass enthusiasm for some reason.
I'm all for people being massive fans of something, but there is a certain exclusivity with football that puts me off. It's like that's the subject you need to know about, it's the hobby you're supposed to enjoy - for a nominal heterosexual growing up clumsy and more into comics and video games than I ever was in sport, this definitely marked me out as different.

Obviously as I've got older I've met a ton of lads who don't bother with football so I feel less weird, but still it's the number one topic with a lot of my friends.

For five years of my life I worked for THE SUN DREAM TEAM which permanently damaged my relationship with football. If you think the BANTZ was bad in your office... thankfully me and a few of the girls worked HARD to provide balance and escape.

A term I discovered in my dissertation - hetero-patriarchy I feel can slapped on football. Football manages to achieve this by effectively leaving gays and girls out the conversation and therefore continuing such a hetero-patriarchy. Of course this isn't the full picture, but it's an effective tool of repression.

I was therefore delighted to see the Women's World Cup become such a huge hit.

It was the HOT TOPIC in the barbers yesterday but I let them off with eye rolling, they'd had lots of big news. Sometimes it's a valid conversation!

Absolutely this. I honestly didn’t know anything about this until I did some digging today. I was two when the Premier League came together so I literally just thought it was the name for the England’s top league.
I didn’t realise that it was essentially Thatcherism waving its big dick around in the sporting world.

I get this argument but it's not exactly the same thing. Yes, they were both borne out of principles of making more money and that is a comparator.

But there are really big differences too. If the Premier league rules had been founded such that "only these six teams can play, guaranteed for the next 23 years" then it would have had as much uproar as this - but it wasn't, it fundamentally remained the same competition. I don't want to hyperbole, but football is often about the underdog story or the fun of watching teams get relegated. This proposal very different from the current structure of the Premier League.

As someone who has a lot of interests that it is seemingly fair game to take a pop at within the culture™️, the pedestal that football is placed on and the unquestioned seriousness with which i’m supposed to regard it fucks me off.
Yes this and it applies to women as well as gays. I remember having BLAZING online arguments years ago with seemingly otherwise intelligent men who would mock and sneer at certain traditionally female interests (this was back when I used to watch Hollyoaks which I think is what kicked it off :basil:) but GOD FORBID you ever point out that their beloved game of men kicking a sack of air around is ALSO intellectually VACANT.

I'd like footy a lot more if it wasn't the rampant racism, homophobia and sexism. But it's not so much the clubs (although they could be doing more) it's the barbarism when you put a group of hyped up football fans in closed crowded spaces and sell alcohol. It's not just the hooligans and gangs, having been to many games it's quite widespread. And there's a general feeling of "it's just during the game, we don't mean it, it's all fine afterwards" to justify the behaviour. I just can't mesh with that kind of mentality.

But I do follow it and I love my team. Everton are pioneers of promoting equality in sport and have been doing, what other clubs and have now started doing, for years. It's amazing how influential football teams are and the work they do in the community is very important and is getting bigger now because of CSR and ethical business initiatives becoming trendy.
Yes this. Lots of people who are at any other time completely pleasant turn into lunatics. It’s animalistic and outdated.

Ag’s points about hetero-patriarchy are so spot on too. You are made to feel inferior as a gay man or any woman, because it is supposedly for straight men to enjoy. It compounds the homophobia that young gay boys feel at school and at home with their families and it is incredibly damaging.

All the kids at school are ‘boycotting’ football now and never watching it again... ok then... fine. 😂

I’m not sure if anyone else here saw the snafu on Twitter earlier but there was a bit of a discourse between gays-who-like-football and those who don’t on Twitter earlier after Jack Remington posted the following:

I come down somewhere in the middle of it. I know a few gay guys who are really into football who think this kind of sentiment is regressive, but I also empathise with those who see the LGBT world as an escape from football’s hegemony outside of our spaces and as somewhere where you CAN take the piss out of it. I also wouldn’t blame people are assuming that gays who like football might be a dreadful masc4masc type. I’ll admit when I first saw my friends posting about football it occasionally felt like they were trying to prove a point, but they genuinely love the game and basically seem to want to claim football back from the mainstream, ultra-masculine culture that surrounds it. I kind of respect that and very much get the appeal of having a space where you can play or talk about it that feels totally removed from football fandom as most queer people understand it. I’m sure a few people on here can relate to loving things that have a predominantly awful cis straight male fanbase.

I saw a bit of the debate on this, and it felt like there were quite a few bad faith interpretations of the tweet above. It reads to me as somebody who doesn't like football tweeting his surprise that the feed was FULL of football talk, not, as some people interpreted it, somebody saying that gays and girls CAN'T talk about football. Someone tweeted that it was setting back all of the hard work gays have done to get acceptance in sport! I saw a comment that the tweet was 'the reason they don't feel accepted in the gay community'!

I'd understand a THIN-SKINNED response like that if it was a particularly NICHE or LOOKED-DOWN-UPON hobby, but if anything I feel like being a gay who plays sports comes with CULTURAL CAPITAL.

For five years of my life I worked for THE SUN DREAM TEAM which permanently damaged my relationship with football. If you think the BANTZ was bad in your office... thankfully me and a few of the girls worked HARD to provide balance and escape.

A term I discovered in my dissertation - hetero-patriarchy I feel can slapped on football. Football manages to achieve this by effectively leaving gays and girls out the conversation and therefore continuing such a hetero-patriarchy. Of course this isn't the full picture, but it's an effective tool of repression.

I was therefore delighted to see the Women's World Cup become such a huge hit.

Gay world cup next please

I mean surely there is NO WAY this is EVER HAPPENING?! Seemingly NO ONE wants it!!!

tenor.gif

Sadly all the teams will pull out and the fans will claim victory, leaving dreadful Brexit arseholes feeling even more empowered.

Sadly all the teams will pull out and the fans will claim victory, leaving dreadful Brexit arseholes feeling even more empowered.

For once it was nice to see something that had pretty much everyone in agreement, such a contrast to the past however fucking long years.

I mean surely there is NO WAY this is EVER HAPPENING?! Seemingly NO ONE wants it!!!
I've hardly been following but the reaction's been very hard to ignore. What are the other countries saying about it? The only thing I read was that Bayern Munich was against it.

I've realised that the only reason i'm really paying attention to this is because the whole thing has HIGH camp value.

We started with a HYSTERICAL emotional response from a largely straight male fanbase who usually reserve tears for their gran's funeral, and now the whole thing is imploding after A DAY like its the fucking sporting answer to CHANGE UK. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom