German floods

GinAg (39)

User
Pronouns
He/Him
I know natural disasters aren't Moopy bait, but these pretty rough and the death toll is rising fast. I presume @Apocalypt Flyer is OK, although I'm read he's lives in Liechtenstein now.

Sounds awful. They’re evacuating Liège in Belgium which is a city of 200,000 people which is crazy.

I'm good, thanks @Ag - it's about 100 miles west of where I grew up.

Once in a century kinda floods and rainfall in that area. Mainly because it's flash floods rather than the more common slowly rising type where people have time to evacuate and secure homes. I mean, the potential for significant flooding was flagged by the German Met Agency for days but the severity really surpassed expectations.

Last edited:
That looks absolutely terrible, those poor people. Reminds me of Boscastle in the UK (which must be well over a decade ago now), which just entirely washed buildings away.

That looks absolutely terrible, those poor people. Reminds me of Boscastle in the UK (which must be well over a decade ago now), which just entirely washed buildings away.
2004!

This is not far from where I grew up a child although it looks like it escaped the worst of it as far as I can tell. It’s terribly sad. :(

Apparently, the 1,300 is a result of communication breaking down in the area and a lot of yesterday's initial chaos. According to Rhineland-Palantine's interior minister a more realistic number of people genuinely missing is probably closer to 100-200 but that's still terrible, obviously.

But then again, when you see entire villages just breaking away like this, it isn't a surprise. And this one isn't by a notable river or anything. Just solid earth turning into mudslides.

It just looks apocalyptic. I thought the floods we had in Sheffield back in 2007 (and then again a few years ago) we’re bad but this is just on another level entirely. Crazy for such a developed country.

All those wrecked houses...It's so sad. All those memories gone just like that.

Nature is so indiscriminate. What a bitch.

Goodness. I can't remember anything like this in Europe, unless I am being forgetful, in recent history. I mentioned Boscastle above but that seems to pale in comparison.

Hopefully there will be a continent wide response, including aid - this is borderless. I think the UK has already offered assistance, so hopefully something or some people will be on their way if requested.

Unbelievably no one died in the Boscastle flood.

Goodness. I can't remember anything like this in Europe, unless I am being forgetful, in recent history. I mentioned Boscastle above but that seems to pale in comparison.

Hopefully there will be a continent wide response, including aid - this is borderless. I think the UK has already offered assistance, so hopefully something or some people will be on their way if requested.

Definitely the worst and most violent floods in our lifetimes.

Unfortunately, it also showed up the very lethargic disaster and flood warning attitudes from the authorities. This came fast and harder than expected - but absolutely not out of the blue. I guess, it just frustrates the meteorologist in me. I'm not saying anyone should bear direct responsibility but on the whole, people in charge really need to rethink disaster management and citizen awareness, especially since we won't have a shortage of extreme weather events in the future.

Meanwhile, flood warnings for my neck of the woods for the next 48 hours. Up to 200l of rain per m² :eyes:

Unbelievably no one died in the Boscastle flood.
1626472423040.jpeg

Oh no :(

these sort of things often come out of the blue, but pretty shocking if the authorities knew about it.

we just had a landslide in a famous spa resort that killed 11, I saw a video of it, really scary when all that earth and debris is just relentless

Is there no danger of flooding where you are, then?

No, luckily not - so far anyways. It stopped raining here 3 or 4 hours ago. Things can become quite localised and extreme due to the mountainous topography and the biggest downpours are literally just a valley away. But really close shave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom