Gifs and ethnicity / "digital blackface", etc.

Following with interest. I know I often resort to ANIMAL GIFS on Whatsapp because I try to avoid using ones of POC, ones of white men are just no and there's only so many times you can use Judge Judy.

I say that and then scroll back in a group to see I used this one on Tuesday. Oh well

Love You Heart GIF by The Masked Singer

I would say to those thinking we should just get rid of GIFs… that absolutely wouldn’t change things, because people would just go back to their text memes that were posted before, Whitney quotes and whatnot.

I wanna see the receipts.

SkeletalFormalGerbil-max-1mb.gif

tenor.gif

These are 2 of my most used gifs, both from BBUSA but... OMG! one of them is a POC, does that make me half racist? Thank god Britney is white, or I would be a total racist.

Seriously, some people need to get a life, if someone thinks that I'm supossed to use only white people gifs, well fuck off. I don't care if they're black, white or purple, how is that in any way racist? I don't get it.

SkeletalFormalGerbil-max-1mb.gif

tenor.gif

These are 2 of my most used gifs, both from BBUSA but... OMG! one of them is a POC, does that make me half racist? Thank god Britney is white, or I would be a total racist.

Seriously, some people need to get a life, if someone thinks that I'm supossed to use only white people gifs, well fuck off. I don't care if they're black, white or purple, how is that in any way racist? I don't get it.

No one has said that, yet you created a narrative and are angry about it without bothering to read all the nuanced things that have been said in this thread.

This thread is exhausting.

Wait, I'm a POC according Americans, so I'm not supossed to use white people gifs? :basil: God I think I'll have to stop using gifs then, it's too confusing.

No one has said that, yet you created a narrative and are angry about it without bothering to read all the nuanced things that have been said in this thread.

This thread is exhausting.
It’s a difficult read. I don’t know why people have to centre themselves in a discussion and/or jump to being defensive? Can’t we talk about the experiences of other people without throwing ourselves into the narrative?

Tisch’s post about not having considered the viewpoint in the opening post before but now giving it some thought was such a great response. BE MORE LIKE TISCH, MOOPY.

I was being a bit silly and I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I don't know, these days I see people on twitter being offended for the smallest things that I can't believe were said with bad intention. 🤷‍♀️

It's problematic, because 1. I am a Mariah stan and it's a challenge not to use her gifs at every available opportunity + you want to keep your legend relevant in the meme era; 2. it's difficult to show disdain without using the iconic Aretha "I think I'm gonna pass on that one" gif

Also I had to do a [insert gif of POC doing a double-take] that a poster referred to themselves with pride as a white-passing Arab, and it wasn't @RaspberrySwirl
Though read back, ma puce, I literally said it made me privileged. And I really don’t say that with any pride, au contraire même.

It’s a difficult read. I don’t know why people have to centre themselves in a discussion and/or jump to being defensive? Can’t we talk about the experiences of other people without throwing ourselves into the narrative?

Tisch’s post about not having considered the viewpoint in the opening post before but now giving it some thought was such a great response. BE MORE LIKE TISCH, MOOPY.

But why is it difficult and exhausting?

Some of you seem to presume that those of us that have argued against this idea are angry because we’re being deprived of something (posting certain gifs) when in fact all that was said was that someone is making something harmless (to a certain extent, we’re not talking about deliberate use of gifs of POCs to ridicule them) into an issue that only leads to more focus on race, segregation and polarisation.

Just having a little think about this. To those who feel strongly: would you say there is a difference between a genuinely famous POC (Oprah, Morgan Freeman) to say "random black woman pulling a funny face"?

Just having a little think about this. To those who feel strongly: would you say there is a difference between a genuinely famous POC (Oprah, Morgan Freeman) to say "random black woman pulling a funny face"?

I think there is a difference between posting a gif of a black person that you know specifically, regardless of how famous they are or not to the wider world, and posting a gif of a black person that you don’t know of, especially if the second option is perpetuating stereotypes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom