Has anyone been to Cape Town?

Rachey

A little bit lesbian
So Mandy and I are going in January. And all I keep being told / reading is how dangerous it is, the muggings, rapes and murders that happen, and now I'm wishing we weren't going 😭

Any moopers been?

Yes, but in 2010. It's beautiful though I was there for a project and we very much got a whitewashed tour.

I wouldn't go for long walks around the neighbourhood, but I think that it's a good deal safer than Johannesburg and some of the other big cities? Just take precautions and get taxis if possible.

You'll be fine in Cape Town. It depends where you're going but it's one of the most beautiful places on earth. Just have your wits about you in the car if you're going places, but really it's no different to other major cities - don't accept random cab rides, don't flash your phone and jewellery about when out, don't wander out of the busy areas, etc etc

I think you'll love it.

We're not hiring a car. We're being picked up from the airport and taken to Franschoek for 3 days which I'm hoping is safe.

Then a private transfer to our hotel in Camps Bay where we are staying for 5 nights, we have have an organised trip to Table Mountain, and we're going to Robben Island but have to make our way to the V&A, so not sure the safest way to do that?

I'm just wary about going out for dinner in the evening etc, especially as it's just Mandy and I.

Then we're on an organised trip to Port Elizabeth. I've not even started googling there yet!

We're not hiring a car. We're being picked up from the airport and taken to Franschoek for 3 days which I'm hoping is safe.

Then a private transfer to our hotel in Camps Bay where we are staying for 5 nights, we have have an organised trip to Table Mountain, and we're going to Robben Island but have to make our way to the V&A, so not sure the safest way to do that?

I'm just wary about going out for dinner in the evening etc, especially as it's just Mandy and I.

Then we're on an organised trip to Port Elizabeth. I've not even started googling there yet!
I'd just ask your hotel for best advice on the things you're stuck on re: transport and other aspects. With dinner, just stick to areas that are busy and avoiding walking in less crowded areas.

It'll be fab. Table Mountain is amazing, as is Robben Island.

I'd just ask your hotel for best advice on the things you're stuck on re: transport and other aspects. With dinner, just stick to areas that are busy and avoiding walking in less crowded areas.

It'll be fab. Table Mountain is amazing, as is Robben Island.
I've read tourists get mugged on Table mountain 😬

I think I'm over thinking it. I mean. Parts of London, Southampton, Birmingham are t safe and I never worry there.

Last edited:
I've read tourists get mugged on Table mountain 😬

I think I'm over thinking it. I mea. Parts of London, Southampton, Birmingham are t safe and I never worry there.
Stick with your group and be mindful of where your stuff is! And look mean.

Yes, in 2001.

I don't really remember much of the city itself though. We did have one incident where my aunt drove up the wrong street and got swore at.

Yes, in 2001.

I don't really remember much of the city itself though. We did have one incident where my aunt drove up the wrong street and got swore at.
Ok that sounds tame compared to what I've read.

I don't plan on going anywhere near the city centre 😬

I think I'm over thinking it. I mean. Parts of London, Southampton, Birmingham are t safe and I never worry there.
I think you are - I went in 2019 and loved it; I'd happily go back and to the centre too. There's lots of bar/restaurant areas in the centre that feel safe even at night, so I wouldn't worry about avoiding those - just don't go off exploring non-tourist areas on your own.

Franschhoek was also amazing; do the wine tram!

I think you are - I went in 2019 and loved it; I'd happily go back and to the centre too. There's lots of bar/restaurant areas in the centre that feel safe even at night, so I wouldn't worry about avoiding those - just don't go off exploring non-tourist areas on your own.

Franschhoek was also amazing; do the wine tram!
Oh we have a 3 day wine tram pass and wine tasting, I can't wait.

Ok, so maybe I need to stop googling and just listen to people who have been!

I got around using Uber and had no issues (apart from ironically finding myself without signal up Signal Hill).

Moopy, I'm going to pack soon...I'm just wondering if I need walking boots or will walking shoes suffice? It's going to be over 25 degrees and I'm worried boots will be too hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom