Is there too much Drag Race?

Here's what I think

• Total voters

dUb

AH AH AH
Pronouns
He/Him
How do you feel about this?

Personally the current rate suits me just fine. I can choose which ones I want to watch (i.e. all of them)

Sorry to bring Eurovision into it but I think it’s probably analogous with all of the National finals showing in the first months of the year.

The French producers don’t care about the 6 weeks of Melodifestivalen on at the same time, nor should they. They’re making it for their own audience and only the utter hardcores sit and watch EVERYTHING, and if you are one of those people then surely the vast array of content available is a good thing.

The only exception is perhaps that Allstars is getting a bit STRETCHED now and I don’t see how it’s at all necessary to have it running in addition to an International Allstars format.

I don’t think so, yet - there is clearly a demand that is being fulfilled, particularly in the current geographical expansion. What might be more of an issue is too many cycles in quick succession in the US - perhaps that version needs to start pausing for breath a little longer considering the series have started to become a little patchy.

Myself I only watch US, UK and Allstars. I don’t feel a need to watch any of the others but it’s great those versions exist for those audiences.

I'd feel less fatigued if the lip sync songs were less pedestrian, the editing eased up and the writing of the acting and musicals either had a kick up the arse or actively encouraged the queens to change the dialogue.

Even though I've not yet dived into the Spanish or Thailand Sophomore Season seasons I'm probably grateful to have stuff to watch to be honest.

I enjoy it and watch it religiously but I do worry it'll burn out soon, particularly if the quality isn't great.

I didn't feel it last year because S12, AS5 (mostly), Canada and UK2 were all so good.

I enjoyed Down Under but both it and S13 have been a bit iffish (still fun, but iffish), so this year has felt a bit much.

I never need to see someone speak to the child version of themself ever again.

Sorry to bring Eurovision into it but I think it’s probably analogous with all of the National finals showing in the first months of the year.

The French producers don’t care about the 6 weeks of Melodifestivalen on at the same time, nor should they. They’re making it for their own audience and only the utter hardcores sit and watch EVERYTHING, and if you are one of those people then surely the vast array of content available is a good thing.

The only exception is perhaps that Allstars is getting a bit STRETCHED now and I don’t see how it’s at all necessary to have it running in addition to an International Allstars format.
I disagree with this, because WoW are involved at every turn and should be strategic for the overall brand. All Stars especially should be rested every other year, and that would go along way to solve the "too much" problem and make All Stars itself a better show.

They also need to use the goodwill of drag race to explore other options because the Drag Race cash cow will dry up, possibly sooner than is expected, and they need more than just basement shows to survive that.

Yes there’s too much. I watch it but I care less and less with each one.

I think my biggest problem is that I’m bored with Ru. I couldn’t even watch the Down Under finale cause it was so stupid.

Same goes for production, they’ve gotten lazy. It’s so overproduced and you can see them pushing the contestants and not in any fun way.

The production point is a good one, it has got lazy. There is so much low hanging fruit when it comes to lipsync song choices, particularly when there is an associated theme, but production is oblivious. Most of these comments apply to the US version, the UK show is less afflicted (presumably they are just more enthusiastic!) but even that had disappointing lipsync songs.

It is too much for me to want to keep up with it all now. But it's my choice to watch what I want, so I don't think it's necessarily too much unless the quality suffers. Looking at Down Under, it certainly seems to have, unfortunately.

It is too much for me to want to keep up with it all now. But it's my choice to watch what I want, so I don't think it's necessarily too much unless the quality suffers. Looking at Down Under, it certainly seems to have, unfortunately.
And with All Stars, it definitely has.

Obviously I can stop watching but it’s just too much of a habit. I’m also someone who’s been watching since season 2 so it’s been a very long time and it makes sense that I’m tired/can see the cracks.

For a hardcore fan that has the need to watch everything, maybe, but 99% that are watching Drag Race España are not going to watch any other series, so for most of the audience probably not.

I think I'll just stick with the regular series, All Stars and UK. The rest I can do without and is a chore to watch. I'll probably save them all for when I'm next on bed rest, recovering from a lobotomy or something.

Last edited:
I feel a little silly wading into this discussion as I’ve never watched one episode of Drag Race, but it always surprises me how MANY versions of the show there is. Every few weeks I feel like I see a new season/edition starting when looking at new posts on the forum.

Like @Pingu said I suppose it’s similar to the Eurovision national final season in that regard, with their being tens of countries running televised competitions all at once. But I suppose the difference is it’s usually crammed into five or six weeks between February-March rather than it running concurrently throughout the year. I don’t think I could keep up with Eurovision stuff if it took place EVERY WEEK! :D

I think I'll just stick with the regular series, All Stars and UK. The rest I can do without and is a chore to watch. I'll probably save them all for when I'm next on bed rest, recovering from a lobotomy or something.
The Rupaul-less series are actually refreshing because: NO RUPAUL

Yeah I’m really enjoying Espana even if I don’t get the references. Strong cast, not as much emotional manipulation and the host is much more engaged.

It’s sort of interesting how the different regions vary, especially the Ru-less ones. Canada was amazing for example.

but yeah I think dUb got it really, you don’t have to watch it all, and it’s most social media FOMO homos (omg put that on a Twitter bio) who are complaining.

maybe the quality has taken a dip but I think it’s more that WoW aren’t always good at it than spreading too thin. It’s a formula anyway, it’s only the blanks that need to be filled in.

the AllStars question though, I guess that’s more subjective now, since a lot of the most famous queens have gone on already. It is an unsustainable pace for the US though, surely, in terms of supply. I thought international AS was supposed to give US AllStars a break but perhaps not?

Is AllStars supposed to be every year now? I thought it was every 2? Really, it's better being every 3. I wonder though, if some of the reason the names aren't so great these days, is because an Allstars full of quality queens is a huge risk for those taking part. Like with Ginger in AS2, she's back in this one I guess, but if you're considered a favourite it must be off-putting to go against a whole crowd of favourites. It's why I'm looking forward to the International one way more than AS6 as it feels a lot more "All Star-like". I don't know though, it's probably a number of factors, latter seasons being less good etc.

I guess it feels like there's too much in the sense that there's no break or anticipation now - and this is without watching any of Thailand/Holland/Spain. We have the US series and the UK running together, but without covid I suspect they'd have been one after the other, then it's straight into Down Under, then we go straight into All Stars, THEN I assume straight into International, and by then I guess we won't have long until the UK Season 3 is back. I'd prefer bigger gaps, that's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom