Janet Jackson - Rhythm Nation 1814

...What you really want?

• Total voters

POP!

Let the light in
If you look past the socially conscious/'conceptual' image it's actually an incredibly strong pop album, her best, IMO. It's where the interludes stepped in, but it didn't overwhelm the album really by this point, just a really quite tight collection of songs.

album-rhythm-nation-1814.jpg

Rhythm Nation
State of the World
The Knowledge
Miss You Much
Love Will Never Do (Without You)
Livin' in a World (They Didn't Make)
Alright
Escapade
Black Cat
Lonely
Come Back to Me
Someday is Tonight

Last edited:
10 Rhythm Nation
09 State of the World
07 The Knowledge
10 Miss You Much
11 Love Will Never Do (Without You)
05 Livin' in a World (They Didn't Make)
08 Alright
09 Escapade
09 Black Cat
08 Lonely
10 Come Back to Me
09 Someday is Tonight

Has two of her best songs

10 Rhythm Nation
10 State of the World
08 The Knowledge
08 Miss You Much
10 Love Will Never Do (Without You)
06 Livin' in a World (They Didn't Make)
09 Alright
07 Escapade
06 Black Cat
08 Lonely
11 Come Back to Me
08 Someday is Tonight

0/10 for ALL SONGS AND THE COVER AND THE LYRICS AND THE PRODUCERS AND THE INLAY NOTES AND THE SONG WRITERS AND THE MUSIC VIDEOS AND THE LIVE PERFORMANCES AND HER FACE AND HER FAMILY AND LUTHER VANDROSS AND FAT PIGS AND BREATHY CRAP AND NEW JILL SWING AND THE 1980S AND WORDS THAT RHYME WITH PLANET AND THE PEOPLE OF RHYTHM NATION AND HER RECORD COMPANY AND SOCIETY ITSELF AND THE NO.2 POSITION OF THE UK CHARTS

10 Rhythm Nation
05 State of the World
08 The Knowledge
10 Miss You Much
06 Love Will Never Do (Without You)
04 Livin' in a World (They Didn't Make)
07 Alright
10 Escapade
08 Black Cat
08 Lonely
07 Come Back to Me
07 Someday is Tonight

I NEED a remastered version of this. Even how SHIT she has been for years hasn't dimmed it.

I just remember that it generated ENDLESS SINGLES, NONE OF WHICH were ANY GOOD

EIGHT hit singles off of this in the US :D

I think the chart positions suggested it spawned a bunch of minor-but-not-big hits in the UK.

Last edited:
I remember there being something in the Record Mirror about how each single was more successful than the last, in terms of chart position. But I think that was broken before the end of the run of singles.

11 Rhythm Nation
09 State of the World
09 The Knowledge
10 Miss You Much
08 Livin' in a World (They Didn't Make)
10 Alright
10 Escapade
05 Black Cat
07 Lonely
09 Come Back to Me
08 Someday is Tonight

Come Back To Me still makes me feel all alone when I hear it, but in a good way. It's so beautiful.

It's MARVELLOUS. A true TRIUMPH from someone who, let's face it, hasn't had MUCH OF THAT lately...

Very good indeed

But not a PATCH on Control, which remains her masterpiece. The singles on that shit on everything the lame bytch (or rather Jam/Lewis) has done ever since.

Miss You Much is amazing, but some of the other singles are cheesy.

Black Pussy and Love Will Never Do are GODAWFUL

Last edited:
I LOVE 'Black Cat', but I fully appreciate I really ought not.

Someday Is Tonight totally rips off West End Girls

:confused:

I'd never have thought of that in a million years. It sounds like Miss Ross in orgasm mode

And :D @ Agnetha's review

Last edited:
Janet at her best IMO

10 Rhythm Nation
09 State of the World
09 The Knowledge
10 Miss You Much
07 Livin' in a World (They Didn't Make)
09 Alright
08 Escapade
10 Black Cat
07 Lonely
10 Come Back to Me
08 Someday is Tonight

Just read about all these being released for the album's 30th anniversary.

That's way too much for me to ever wade through, but I do love it when management go the extra mile like this for the true fanz. It's probably the best way to distribute this kind of thing in the day of the dwindling CD.

Yeah, it's exhausting. I had most of those CD singles and remember enjoying some of the remixes, so at some point I'll do a bit of digging.

That's way too much for me to ever wade through, but I do love it when management go the extra mile like this for the true fanz. It's probably the best way to distribute this kind of thing in the day of the dwindling CD.

Thing is, the true FANZ would lap this up as a box set far more than this. It’s really not going far enough...

10 Rhythm Nation
09 State of the World
09 The Knowledge
11 Miss You Much
06 Livin' in a World (They Didn't Make)
09 Alright
10 Escapade
10 Black Cat
07 Lonely
10 Come Back to Me
09 Someday is Tonight

Thing is, the true FANZ would lap this up as a box set far more than this. It’s really not going far enough...
True, but it's got to be a pretty limited market. I don't really understand the economics of box sets and vinyl reissues but a "Complete Remixes" one would be very niche indeed.

10 Rhythm Nation
09 State of the World
08 The Knowledge
11 Miss You Much
08 Love Will Never Do (Without You)
10 Alright
09 Escapade
06 Black Cat
09 Lonely
10 Come Back to Me
10 Someday is Tonight

Not quite Control, but boy does it run it close.

True, but it's got to be a pretty limited market. I don't really understand the economics of box sets and vinyl reissues but a "Complete Remixes" one would be very niche indeed.

In a world where Cherry Red/ Pop makes a profit on their obscure artists, do you really think an artist the size of Janet wouldn’t make money off throwing together a box set of things that already exist and have been paid for?

It’s easy money!

Yeah, I don't understand the £££ of it either, but in a world where Showaddywaddy are getting vinyl box sets of their studio albums, surely a physical for this isn't that out there.

Wasn't Control The Remixes initially made available digitally before being released on vinyl and CD some time later, though? I'm not quite sure why they had that approach, but perhaps they are planning to do the same again.

Yeah, I don't understand the £££ of it either, but in a world where Showaddywaddy are getting vinyl box sets of their studio albums, surely a physical for this isn't that out there.

Wasn't Control The Remixes initially made available digitally before being released on vinyl and CD some time later, though? I'm not quite sure why they had that approach, but perhaps they are planning to do the same again.

That’s true.

The whole catalogue needs doing really. There’s so much out there...

She has re-released all of the studio albums on vinyl* though, hasn’t she?

I think a boxset of this would be lovely but I suppose it would depend on how profitable the studio albums have been.

* Which pains me (a little) because I spent £100 on the Velvet Rope vinyl a few years ago :D/:manson:

Last edited:
Also I was listening to this album cycling to the barbers this morning and it struck me how much the conversation hasn’t really moved on that much. By that I mean, it would still make a powerful political statement today.

She has re-released all of the studio albums on vinyl *though, hasn’t she?

I think a boxset of this would be lovely but I suppose it would depend on how profitable the studio albums have been.

* Which pains me (a little) because I spent £100 on the Velvet Rope vinyl a few years ago :D/:manson:

Yeah but I mean expanded editions of the albums...there’s still cash in that.

Especially if she’s willing to open the vaults and put unreleased stuff in, but so few are...

11 Rhythm Nation
09 State of the World
09 The Knowledge
10 Miss You Much
11 Love Will Never Do (Without You) [Can I have two 11's? :disco: ]
05 Livin' in a World (They Didn't Make)
08 Alright
10 Escapade
08 Black Cat
05 Lonely
07 Come Back to Me
07 Someday is Tonight

0/10 for ALL SONGS AND THE COVER AND THE LYRICS AND THE PRODUCERS AND THE INLAY NOTES AND THE SONG WRITERS AND THE MUSIC VIDEOS AND THE LIVE PERFORMANCES AND HER FACE AND HER FAMILY AND LUTHER VANDROSS AND FAT PIGS AND BREATHY CRAP AND NEW JILL SWING AND THE 1980S AND WORDS THAT RHYME WITH PLANET AND THE PEOPLE OF RHYTHM NATION AND HER RECORD COMPANY AND SOCIETY ITSELF AND THE NO.2 POSITION OF THE UK CHARTS
I don't entirely agree 12 years on.

10 Rhythm Nation
05 State of the World
08 The Knowledge
10 Miss You Much
06 Love Will Never Do (Without You)
04 Livin' in a World (They Didn't Make)
07 Alright
10 Escapade
08 Black Cat
08 Lonely
07 Come Back to Me
07 Someday is Tonight
Oddly I think I stand by these ratings apart from Alright which is a stone cold BANGER.

Alright is AMAZING.

This is now my favourite album by her, though the follow up and Control are so very close. I never liked The Velvet Rope all that much.

I did end up getting all the remix singles when they released them to digital which was possibly too much of a good thing :D

Weird how much this album passed me by when it was out - it’s pretty much her True Blue or Bad, it’s closer to a Greatest Hits than a studio album. Even moreso in the US

The biggest revelation for me in rediscovering early Janet in recent years has been Love Will Never Do. My GOD what a song that is.

08 Rhythm Nation
07 State of the World
07 The Knowledge
10 Miss You Much
07 Alright
08 Escapade
08 Black Cat
07 Lonely
08 Come Back to Me
07 Someday is Tonight