Janet Jackson - Rhythm Nation 1814

...What you really want?

• Total voters
So I gave this a 10 purely for the sake of nostalgia and the fact that I loved it as a child/pre-teen. It's probably a 9 at best.

I would change my vote to a 9 I think. Maybe an 8.5 to be picky

Weird how much this album passed me by when it was out - it’s pretty much her True Blue or Bad, it’s closer to a Greatest Hits than a studio album. Even moreso in the US

The biggest revelation for me in rediscovering early Janet in recent years has been Love Will Never Do. My GOD what a song that is.
I actually disagree with that. It’s widely considered a socially aware concept album, which I find weird because the biggest hit singles apart from the title track had fuck all to do with that theme, and the “socially conscious” songs remained as generally weaker album tracks that never even made it to radio, which only her actual fans would even know.

With only 4 out of 12 songs sticking to that theme, I just find it a bit odd how it’s seriously heralded as some kind of 80s/90s version of What’s Going On.

True Blue and Bad are practically Greatest Hits packages.

I meant simply as an album full of huge hits, which it was in America.

I meant simply as an album full of huge hits, which it was in America.
It is over there, yes. It’s still weird how they also label it as a concept album though. It’s a bit like saying Dangerous was a concept album because of Jam, Heal The World, Black or White and Why You Wanna Trip On Me.

"Alright" has grown on me as well over the years. It's that perfect bridge between 80s frothy pop and the new jack swing that would dominate the early 90s.

Love Will Never Do is still hands down my favourite Janet track. What utter perfection.

Alright is her biggest grower for me too, though the Shep Pettibone mix is where it’s at for me these days.

10 Rhythm Nation
10 State of the World
10 The Knowledge
10 Miss You Much
10 Love Will Never Do (Without You)
08 Livin' in a World (They Didn't Make)
10 Alright
10 Escapade
10 Black Cat
10 Lonely
10 Come Back To Me
11 Someday is Tonight