Kim Wilde's first three albums reissued AGAIN

FetchFugly

Pregnant
https://www.cherryred.co.uk/kim-wil...first-three-albums-are-announced-for-january/

Two CDs and a DVD each, currently twenty quid a pop on Cherry Red. I'm not sure what I think of a whole disc full of new mixes from Matt Pop and co for the debut. Select and Catch As Catch Can get an unreleased song each, plus demo versions, but I don't think that is enough to get me to buy again unless they are greatly reduced in price.

And I know they are a different label, but what about the rest of her MCA albums?

MEASLY PICKINGS but I’m bound to bite eventually as the first three album reissues were very underdone.

It is becoming so fucking annoying that they keep finding more stuff in the vaults for these second wave releases, though. It really does STINK.

As for the other MCA albums, apparently they’re stuck in the infamous “Universal hell”. Universal apparently refused Cherry Pop access to anything post- Close as they saw how well the earlier reissues had done and wanted it for themselves. Indeed, it was them who released the Close remaster. Presumably, they have also held back the rights to the earlier MCA albums as well now, and everything is under their ownership...

MEASLY PICKINGS but I’m bound to bite eventually as the first three album reissues were very underdone.

It is becoming so fucking annoying that they keep finding more stuff in the vaults for these second wave releases, though. It really does STINK.

As for the other MCA albums, apparently they’re stuck in the infamous “Universal hell”. Universal apparently refused Cherry Pop access to anything post- Close as they saw how well the earlier reissues had done and wanted it for themselves. Indeed, it was them who released the Close remaster. Presumably, they have also held back the rights to the earlier MCA albums as well now, and everything is under their ownership...

GITS. The post-Close stuff will presumably be of more niche appeal anyway than the eighties albums.

I picked up Catch As Catch Can the last time (which is such a good album which criminally underperformed. I was too young at the time but I imagine Love Blonde as a single, which Kim was against, gave the wrong impression of the album and fucked up its chances) so will probably only get the other two.

I picked up Catch As Catch Can the last time (which is such a good album which criminally underperformed. I was too young at the time but I imagine Love Blonde as a single, which Kim was against, gave the wrong impression of the album and fucked up its chances) so will probably only get the other two.

Did she hate 'Love Blonde''? I know she hated 'Dancing in the Dark', which was the single that properly preceded the album. That song's failure was more closely linked to the album being ignored, I'd have said...

Did she hate 'Love Blonde''? I know she hated 'Dancing in the Dark', which was the single that properly preceded the album. That song's failure was more closely linked to the album being ignored, I'd have said...
Yeah she came round to it with time but said she thought it a bad choice as single and thought it too gimmicky for her to be singing about blondes. Literally the 2 weakest tracks on the album were the lead singles.

Last edited:
I like 'Dancing in the Dark' but it's NOT a Kim Wilde song. It sounds like a Five Star song. It's the only song from that era that the Wildes didn't have a hand in writing.

It's nice to have these released as expanded versions, and of course I'll get them. But I still really want the last 3 MCA albums, Love Moves in particular - although it was an absolute flop it is a pretty decent album. Love Is is great too. Now and Forever, well it's of its time.

I like Dancing in the Dark but it was just too different to what had come before really. Which is why they went with Love Blonde- it was closer to her earlier material.

I still think the waste of House of Salome is the ultimate crime here, though...

It’s actually quite interesting how long it took the UK to deal with “dance Kim”, for want of a better term. Teases and Dares is a great album, and the two lead singles from it are amongst her very best work for me, but it took the damage limitation release of Rage to Love, which harked back to her earlier career, before she really dented the charts...

House of Salome, Sparks, Back Street Joe and possibly Sing It Out For Love were the singles that should’ve been from Catch As Catch Can.

House of Salome I put in the HOLY TRIPTYCH alongside The Touch and The Second Time. Should have all been from the same album.

Don’t want to know about VACATIONS in this CHEAP MOTEL
Don’t want to know about your SEA GREEN CURTAINS

:disco:

Although having said that, I spent MANY A MOON believing it was the PATRONS in that CHEAP MOTEL she took umbrage with, which makes sense if you think about it...

You just don’t get that sense of lyrical drama these days the way Kim delivered it there and with songs like Never Trust A Stranger.
“Like a tiger you HUNTED and TRACKED me down
SAVAGED my soul and took over control
And then when you'd used all the love you found
You left without TRACE”

Sam’s middle eights in Touch Me and I Surrender are up there too.

What do we think happened with Love Moves? Why was it SUCH a flop? I don't think it's the material - there's some really great songs on it - the five singles she released are up there with some of her best in that period, was it just TOO pop, and not enough of a change from Close? I've heard comments that the record label were very lacklustre with the promotion too. They really should have released Can't Get Enough Of Your Love as a single in the UK, but I think after It's Here stalled in the charts the writing was on the wall...

Can't Get Enough always felt like more of a semi to me, but I'm not surprised France lapped it up most of all after this. Semi's for everyone I'm guessing:

I still love It's Here and especially Someday, but the rest just played it too safe.

Catch As Catch Can is her sci-fi nu-wave fantasia peak. Can You Hear It is probably my favourite Kim song period, but Sparks and the exquisite Sing It Out for Love (think Joy Division presenting femme) would have been my singles. The starkly hooky Dream Sequence and more steady Backstreet Joe also amazing showcases for her. It's a really ambitious, cinematic and beautiful album.

Last edited:
Love Moves bombed in a world which had moved on to other, hipper trends by 1990. There’s nothing WRONG with it per se, but there’s no You Came or Never Trust a Stranger to hang it’s hat on, which is the problem. It was a bit BLAND, I guess.

It took ripping off Belinda wholesale to mount a comeback :D

This thread led me to have a look at Kim's Wikipedia discography. How did "Cambodia" not chart in France when it's one of the biggest selling singles of all time there?

I'd have thought it was an error, but it's one that is also repeated on the "Cambodia" page itself?

And though I'm sure it was the POINT, the wording of THIS made me TITTER:

The third globally and final single off the album was "Say You Really Want Me", which caused a minor controversy when the video was banned from children's programming because it showed Kim writhing on a bed having fun with a pearl necklace.

:D

This thread led me to have a look at Kim's Wikipedia discography. How did "Cambodia" not chart in France when it's one of the biggest selling singles of all time there?

I'd have thought it was an error, but it's one that is also repeated on the "Cambodia" page itself?

France didn't have a proper singles chart until 4 November 1984. There were other charts before then, but this is the date the charts are officially recognised.

France didn't have a proper singles chart until 4 November 1984. There were other charts before then, but this is the date the charts are officially recognised.

Oh but they DID!

But they probably had competing versions...

Probably as good a place as any to post that she's announced a Greatest Hits tour next year.

Amazon are currently asking over thirty one pounds each for these. Matt Pop apparently doesn't come cheap.

I see she is re-releasing the Xmas album again. Presumably the GH is off like the tour until next year.

LET’S RANK, SUEDE

1. Teases and Dares
2. Close
3. Kim Wilde
4. Another Step
5. Select
6. Never Say Never
7. Love Is
7. Here Come The Aliens
9. Catch As Catch Can
10.Love Moves
11.Now And Forever
12.Snapshots
13.Wilde Winter Songbook
14.Come Out And Play

I see she is re-releasing the Xmas album again. Presumably the GH is off like the tour until next year.

I didn’t bite for the last reissue so I might do for this. I quite like the album, despite my ranking above.

I didn’t bite for the last reissue so I might do for this. I quite like the album, despite my ranking above.

Yes the deluxe seemed to be fairly limited on the previous run, by the time I decided I might want it the price had jumped.

I'm assuming it is the same, Amazon says it is two discs but I can't see a tracklisting anywhere.

Also WHY is Amazon so rubbish at putting up tracklistings for everything now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom