Mariah Carey - We Belong Together

There ain't nobody better

• Total voters
Funnily enough, although I don't play much 80s because it's very much a younger crowd, Madonna and Kylie's early hits are oft requested, but what could you play of Mariahs? The Morales mix of My All? I'd be laughed out of town.

Funnily enough, although I don't play much 80s because it's very much a younger crowd, Madonna and Kylie's early hits are oft requested, but what could you play of Mariahs? The Morales mix of My All? I'd be laughed out of town.

When are gays at a hotel disco ever DISCERNING?

I never really started to like this until recently. TEOM was the first time in my life where I had a difficulty being a lamb due to the lack of tunes and her annoying fast singing. But it was the comeback she needed and so I'm glad it happened.

Last edited:
The final minute is just phenomenal. Thinking about this song being 8 years old already is quite alarming! Time goes pretty fast.

Does anyone still have the cover version I did at the time? :D

I remember a lot of waiting with bated breath on here when they premiered It's Like That and especially WBT because most people realised that she managed recapture her most successful sound and gave it a 2005 update but the little question that remained was whether it really was going to catch on. Though the video premiere of It's Like That alone had the air of 'oh we could be on to a good one here' - def jam poured some serious money into all of this from the get go.

Last edited:
The It's Like That video inspired me and two friends to make the most tragic entrances when going into bars and clubs (but only when plastered) for at least a good few months, so for that reason alone We belong Together isn't QUITE my era defining moment, but the wedding dress trail was a good metaphor for the gap she had on her nearest rival. It totally sealed her status, the video captured some of her most beautiful ANGLES, not to mention the air-hitting step towards the camera when ad-libbing. I do think she has another US #1 in her, what she's achieved is too one off to not be recognized again properly. Having said that, she has nothing to prove.

Oh, and Fantasy and Always Be My Baby would be my suggestions for most well known non-cover in the UK. I think the Summer of '96 might actually be my favourite musical era of all time, Always Be My Baby was one of those songs you'd listen to the radio and just hope it would come on.

Well a quick look at Spotify shows

1. AIWFCIY
2. ABMB
3. Fantasy
4. AIWFCIY (some shit mix)
5. Hero

It's a shame Dreamlover has been usurpsed by Fantasy in most peoples' affections. They both do the same thing BRILLIANTLY but for me the former song is just that bit more effortless.

"Dreamlover" hasn't dated very well though. It's all '90s beats and stuff. "Fantasy" still sounds good today - even the retarded "boyfriend" bridge.

I probably had a similar initial reaction to it that Slave illustrated - thought it was very decent and would help the campaign along but never thought it would become one of the biggest chart hits in history.

In time, I think its legacy is helped by the context of it in her career. I remember someone on here was arguing that "It's Like That" was the comeback of the TEOM project and not this. Granted, "It's Like That" was her first lead hit in nearly five years but it was nowhere near a career-defining hit that this was or as poignant. It's difficult to describe the song's significance as it's not like it orchestrated a movement for the genre (although arguably it did in Mariah's OWN career with all those carbon copies) or even the biggest recurrent hit of its period but rather it was just that triumphant comeback that every artist yearns for after a flagging career. Like Lou suggested, it wasn't just a commercial return to form but it cemented her place as a fixture of musical iconography. Without it, she may have secured a minor and brief comeback with "It's Like That" but she'd more or less be a Toni Braxton.

Last edited:
"Say Somethin'" might actually be my favorite TEOM track aside from WBT and FLAB which were always in my Mariah top ten anyway.

Last edited:
Mine is Joy Ride, but then again, I always have a soft spot for the RUBBISH tracks

Can I just say...

81-61-30-12-7-3-2-1-1-1-1-2-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-4-3-5-6-9-12-15-18-22-26-31-33-40-49-49-50-44-37-39-44-48
The first week at #1 was a cheat with the fake downloads. The song is still a perfect ten, though.

Wasn't this her "Sweet 16th" US #1?

The first week at #1 was a cheat with the fake downloads. The song is still a perfect ten, though.
Some of those were "free downloads", yes, but it was within Billboard's rules at that point still so I don't see how it's anymore of a cheat than getting a free album with a concert ticket etc.

And who really cares when it was 1/14 weeks of its time at #1?

Last edited:
Obsessed had at least as many 1s in its chart run (whilst sitting at #11 for 6 weeks :()

Last edited:
I don't know how anyone can dislike this song. Everything about it is great. The vocals, the technique, the lyrics, the harmonies, the melody. And I disagree with anyone who says it's too corny, because it's fairly tame for a romance song. Corny would be Hero or Without You.
Still think it's the best song of all time. Mariah scooped herself a lot of new fans with WBT...teens who grew up during her flop era...like me.

Last edited:
It's fucking drivel and you could not be more wrong.

Last edited:
I don't know how anyone can dislike this song. Everything about it is great. The vocals, the technique, the lyrics, the harmonies, the melody. And I disagree with anyone who says it's too corny, because it's fairly tame for a romance song. Corny would be Hero or Without You.
Still think it's the best song of all time. Mariah scooped herself a lot of new fans with WBT...teens who grew up during her flop era...like me.
Is it too early to declare a Halli Post of the Decade? :disco:

It did produce her quite possibly most overblown and maximal moment in the last decade, it has to be said.

Carry me higher Higher HIGHER :disco:

The song is emotionally all over the place in the best possible way. "I only think of you" is the emotional quick-sand moment for me, as in I'm not getting back out of it. Everything snaps into place, then the gorgeous vocal trail at the end, which is unfathomably stunning in that classic jaw-breaking Mariah way. I don't even think I included it in my recent top 20.

It's just one of those tracks that defies objectivity or subjectivity. It just IS. I truly believe that the 00s were the worst decade for popular music since the concept was born, so in that sense what you're looking to do is wade through the layers of shite and mediocre to find those true anchor moments that remind you that there were some truly magical moments in a relatively unfulfilling and uninspiring era. Beyonce's CIL. Kylie's CGYOOMH. Rihanna's Umbrella. Timbaland's Apologize. Missy's Work It. Alicia's Broken Heart. This is one of those tracks. Doesn't matter what it sold or where it ended up or the fact I don't listen to it that often. It already proved itself in so many ways.

Yeah.

I liked the first half of the 00s. There was a great surge in popularity for Hip Hop and RnB, which I just naturally gravitate towards. As for the second half, Mariah was the only thing I liked. The rest was complete garbage. Mariah saved half the decade for me.

Music hit the skids between 2003 and 2006. JT and Nelly Furtado were the turning point, after which the only way was up. Pop peaked in 2009 and has been in decline ever since, but I feel things are turning around again as of late 2012/13.

2005 had some stellar stuff to put it mildly, it's one of the few years from the decade I can strongly pick out as a favourite for music.

For some people it's their first kiss, for some it's graduation, for some it's marriage and for some it's their first house. But for me it was We Belong Together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom