Eternals

ft. Bebe Winans

• Total voters
I thought Richard Madden was gonna be a queen in this

I don't care about Marvel basically since Age of Ultron but that's a pretty good trailer. maybe I'll give DIRTY DISNEY some of my pink pound :o

also Angie back in a fun blockbuster :o hope she's not PHONING IT IN

My neck is broken from the whiplash at Chloe Zhao going from The Rider and Nomadland to this.

I thought Richard Madden was gonna be a queen in this

Brian Tyree Henry is playing the gay one (I’m sure he will lightly graze the hand of another man and destroy homophobia). Madden is most likely in a love triangle with Gemma Chan and Kit Harrington.

The costumes look great and apparently not everything is cgi (which shocked Marvel).

new trailer, quite ACTION PACKED

Last edited:
Surely this will be the first MCU (relative) flop? Sandwiched between a surprise hit and a surefire megahit, an unknown property, bit of a dull trailer...

I think the trailer is good, but the Thanos explanation feels heavy handed and tonally it looks a bit serious maybe to excite the basic Marvel fans. plus Angie is box office poison now. :disco:

I'll be there for Ang and a jacked up Kumail who I hope will be entirely relying on that body-ody-ody

Marvel film Eternals called ‘amazing’ and ‘a mess’ in divisive first reactions

The first reactions to new Marvel film, Eternals, are rolling in.

Months after Shang-Chi, the studio premiered its next Marvel Cinematic Universe release, which will introduce a new set of characters to fans, in Los Angeles.

These characters are a race of immortal beings with superhuman powers who have secretly lived on Earth for thousands of years.

Leading the cast are Angelina Jolie, Richard Madden, Gemma Chan, Kit Harington and Brian Tyree Henry. The film is directed by Nomadland Oscar winner Chloé Zhao.

The reactions are ranging from the disappointed to the glowing.

IndieWire’s David Ehrlich wrote: “ETERNALS: in style & tone this is easily the least Marvel-like movie in the MCU (it doesn’t look like plastic. also, sex happens) & the scale is cosmic in a way that makes the avengers arc feel like a blip. so why is it still just misfit spandex people fighting bad CG for 3 hours

Next Best Picture’s Matt Neglia added: “Aside from a few dazzling moments & a wonderfully diverse cast, ETERNALS disappointed me. The story is an expository convoluted mess as it jumps through time and multiple continents with an uneven tone.

“Ramin Djawadi’s score soars but Chloé Zhao’s distinctive style is sadly absent.”

Meanwhile, Insider’s Kirsten Acuna called the film “probably the most shocking and surprising Marvel movie you’ll see”, adding: “Many twists and turns. Kumail Nanjiani Is hilarious in every scene. As always, stay to the VERY end.”

Variety’s Courtney Howard said: “Eternals is amazing! Chloé Zhao & company turn in an evocative, emotional, extraordinarily epic superhero film.”

Actor Patton Oswalt also praised the film, writing: “This one was next level. Never saw brisk storytelling AND epic scope paired up like that. Did NOT go where I thought it would go. Chloé Zhao rules.”

Eternals is in UK cinemas on 5 November.

I'm seeing some chatter about Harry Styles being in it?!

I think we know by now that no filmmaker, however distinct their style, will have free reign to make the movie they want to make under Marvel. but I'm sure they all think they will. :eyes:

I’m absolutely numb to new Marvel films these days so this has barely registered as a thing that’s happening. I might consider watching it if Sersi is in it, but I’ve not bothered to check.

This would have been such an event 10 years ago (the female last Best Director Oscar winner directs a Marvel flick with ANG!) but it does feel a bit low key so far. Or maybe I'm as numb as @ButterTart :D It certainly felt that way for Shang-Chi (apart from Ronnie).

Anyway, I'm sure Chloe Zhao will mute the colour palette, hold shots for longer than usual and give us a couple of nice character moments before we end up with a 90% CGI final 45 minutes in which everything ever is at stake but the Eternals pull through. SPOILER.

I'll be seeing it for sure as I can't help myself.

It really screams “you don’t have to bother with this one lol” to me but apparently advance US ticket sales have been very strong

Anecdotally my 15yo nephew who loved Shang-Chi and can't wait for Spider-Man doesn't know what it is :disco:

Everything Marvel film coming after this one got shunted on a slot yesterday which is interesting.

Or not really that interesting, but I do wonder why. Maybe they're just behind with the FX or maybe they're trying to shake things up a bit?

Spider-Man is still coming this year. No?

Spicer-Man coming out in November.

The Hawkweye Disney show a few weeks later.

We'll be fine :disco: but FUCK Disney for pushing Dr. Strange back until May, my poor poor Wanda.

I like that there are all the articles about Kumail Nanjiani's amazing body transformation secrets that don't mention the ACTUAL secret :tongueout:

Spider-Man is still coming this year. No?

I keep forgetting about that one :D

So the date for that is fixed, and it's everything else after that that got bumped (Dr Strange 2, Thor 4, Black Panther 2, Captain Marvel 2, Antman 3).

I like that there are all the articles about Kumail Nanjiani's amazing body transformation secrets that don't mention the ACTUAL secret :tongueout:

:D

Work out for 18 months with a trainer 3 times and day and only eat your pre-prepped food. Anyone can do it!

55% on Rotten Tomatoes, 56% on Metacritic... I thought if nothing else this one could rely on positive reviews!

Let's see how the box office goes :eyes:

I'm so curious to see how this will go - the public don't know the characters, which isn't necessarily a problem since it was also true of Guardians of the Galaxy and that was a big hit. All of the marketing for this hasn't really presented these characters as being FUN in any way though, whereas GotG was able to really convey that in their trailers by focusing on the comedy and the Eighties soundtrack etc. I'm thinking we won't see much of these characters after this film is out :eyes:

56 on Metacritic? :D ouch. the critics are always very generous to Marvel movies so it must be really humdrum.

I'm feeling more and more that this is a WAIT TIL DISNEY+ job for me, and I think I've seen every MCU movie at the cinema up til now :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom