Masters of the Universe: Revelation

COB

The ⭐ 👹
Upcoming Netflix series that acts as a continuation of the original show:

I'm actually shocked by how great this looks! It's the same animation studio as Netflix's Castlevania series (which is AMAZING and I kept meaning to make a thread for), which is probably part of why. Voice cast includes Mark Hamill as Skeletor, Sarah Michelle Gellar as Teela (who is apparently a much more focal character in this), and Lena Headey as Evil-Lyn (:disco: :disco: :disco:).

Weirdly enough the actor who originally voiced Skeletor is also in it, but playing a different character :o

I started thinking “ugh do we need a darker reboot of everything?” But the Bonnie Tyler soundtrack is camp as tits, so :disco:

I'm a bit sad about the Skeletor voice actor though. In Japan (yeah yeah I know) voice actors are sort of famous for being voice actors - I know that sometimes happens in the west too, but there’s a lot of stunt casting for voice actors, isn’t there?

All that said, Hamill has voice actor chops from Batman doesn’t he?

I just hope he calls a henchman a BLITHERING BOOB

• Love
Reactions: COB
They’ve succeeded in making Prince Adam look a little less of a dweeb at least. I like the darker tone but I hope they’ve maintained some of the humour.

I just hope he calls a henchman a BLITHERING BOOB
As a child I had an episode on video where he calls He-Man a MUSCLEBOUND BUFFOON, which I remember absolutely loving (not realising at the time that camp comedy was a thing, of course)

As a child I had an episode on video where he calls He-Man a MUSCLEBOUND BUFFOON, which I remember absolutely loving (not realising at the time that camp comedy was a thing, of course)

I love that whole sub genre of dialogue from cartoon villains, including henchman having to address them as “Your evilness” etc. I mean you’d think they’d have their own justifications for doing “evil” acts so they wouldn’t think of themselves that way?

anyway if we can get YOU MEAT-HEADED MORON, it’s all good

This is out now, five episodes today and another five at some point in the future. I'm three episodes in and quite enjoying it - they've really shaken up the setting and characters, and I'm enjoying how much the women are driving the story. Evil-Lyn is even more of an unbothered QUEEN than I could've hoped for too :disco:

Also the show is apparently being review-bombed by the usual 'anti-woke' people, since this first half of the season focuses more on characters who aren't He-Man and Skeletor (and I guess lots of the characters being female is part of it too). Talk about TEDIOUS :zombie:

I actually love the nerve of
starting the series by killing off Adam/He-Man, bringing him back then killing him AGAIN straight away :D

Couldn't sleep, watched the first episode. I really liked it. It was weird because the first ten minutes just feel like a total retread of the old stories and even though they got going very quickly and we saw lots of old characters all in one go which I loved, I just thought it was going to be the same old routine again and again, a remake more than a sequel with new ideas. And then of course the second half of the episode happened and... well. Let's see where this is going!

I did have a little look online and was amused/bemused by the response. As usual the fans have to make it all about themselves. This fanboy trend of everyone wanting to be the creative director of a show/film/book/comic etc needs to stop. Viewers don't decide how a story plays out, it's about how it's executed. I thought the quality of the storytelling, and the faithfulness of the mythology, and the sheer amount of mythology covered in one episode, was enough for any fanboy.

the 97% rating on Rotten Tomatoes is telling - when people are not so preoccupied with getting writers to write it exactly how they want it to be written, they might actually enjoy it!

:D wow,
Kevin Smith REALLY wants to make sure Adam is dead doesn’t he?

finished the 5 eps and really enjoyed it!

I have very little knowledge of the original series but really enjoying this so far!

There's so many easter eggs for the fans but they're not in any way distracting for newcomers. A lot of it feels like a reboot - the best part of this series is that it's a serial, it has an actual story, whereas the original cartoons where 100% episodic - Skeletor attacks, He-Man wins, repeat. This is so much better for actually making use of the mythology.

For instance, Mer-Man is just a Skeletor henchman in the original series, whereas the mythology (comics, mini comics) reference Mer-Man as being the lord of the sea, having his own army, etc etc. And the new cartoon references this in one of the episodes. There's much more of a power struggle in this one, more shades of grey, and so much more interesting.

Basically the new one is a cartoon for adults and the old one was very much a cartoon for kids.

Also maybe @COB knows / remembers but
are Teela and Adam half siblings? I seem to recall something but I don't think it was ever covered in the original cartoons - maybe in the 2000s cartoon or the comics (which I'm not familiar with). There was only one easter egg I couldn't translate and it seemed to be a reference to this...

Teela and Adam are definitely not siblings. Adams parents are king Radnor and Queen Marleena, Teelas parents are The Sorceress and Fisto, however she was raised my Man-At-Arms.

Adam had a twin sister Adora AKA She-Ra that was kidnapped by Hordak.

Oh yeah, I think the idea is that Teela is destined to become the new sorceress, hence the dramatic irony in her being all I HATE MAGIC in this series :shock:

I did not know about Fisto :ken: genuinely though Man At Arms was her dad. That naughty sorceress

I know who Adams parents are but I thought that might have been a secret too and his mum is the sorceress, and therefore wasn’t chosen at random to be He Man

in more hot mythology news, I hope we get a bit of The Horde or Snake Men in the new show. They add a whole new layer to the politics of it all. Can’t remember the story behind the Horde other than what is covered in She Ra (and I don’t even watch that) but I do remember a story about the Snake Men who actually hate Skeletor more than He-Man because he betrayed them and banished them, as they were once the rulers of Snake Mountain hence the name

and Evil Lyn had something to do with said betrayal, the opportunistic little witch.

@Silly Moo to confirm

Fisto and Man-At-Arms are brothers, I think this was only established in the 2000’s reboot which was a good series. It was also more serial in its formula and good at expanding on the mythology of the earlier series.

If I remember rightly Skeletor had no previous connection with the snake men but did with The Horde, Skeleter was Hordaks apprentice but betrayed his master and sent him to another dimension. When The Horde returned Skeletor freed the Snake Men as he wanted help in defeating The Horde.

I think the Snake Men stuff was from the comics - not the original figurine mini comics but the new ones that were commissioned, which were supposed to be good but not sure if they were CANON. I'm not really a comics guy and didn't partake. I didn't really follow the 2000s series but heard it was well received. I mean they have good source material.

Looks at us talking about the mythology like it's TOLKIEN :D loves it.

HE-MAN FORUM NOW

A quick look at wiki suggests that were quite a few different comic series, which largely respected the continuity of the cartoons but all went off in different directions exploring different elements (the Horde, the Snake Men, the lineage of He-Man). Difficult to know which part is from what and what Kevin Smith might consider canon or not.

I bet there's reddits and all sorts dedicated to this stuff... I'm such an amateur.

I never bothered with the comics either. To be fair the lore and mythology has changed from series to series to comic so it’s hard to know what is now considered cannon. I think they try to pass it off as similar to the MCU by having alternate time lines to make it all cannon.

Selfishly I would still love a darker, adult live action He-Man (series or movie series I don't care) but with Mattel still leading the franchise I can't see it ever being anything other than a platform to sell toys. The source material has lots of opportunities to expand into a Star Wars world with proper politics. They'd have to change some of the names though, kinda like Marvel with the nickname-real name hybrids.

I know at one point there was plans to do a Masters of the Universe film in the style of the film 300 but it never materialised.

For further lore Skeletor is actually Randors half brother making him Adams uncle, his real name is Keldor. The blue skinned race are Gar from another planet, it was this race that introduced technology to Eternia.

Adams mother Marleena is actually a human from earth, she was an astronaut and her spaceship crash landed on Eternia.

I know at one point there was plans to do a Masters of the Universe film in the style of the film 300 but it never materialised.

For further lore Skeletor is actually Randors half brother making him Adams uncle, his real name is Keldor. The blue skinned race are Gar from another planet, it was this race that introduced technology to Eternia.

Adams mother Marleena is actually a human from earth, she was an astronaut and her spaceship crash landed on Eternia.
Oh yeah I do remember all of that. I don’t know how because none of that is in the original series. I think I must have had a wiki binge one day and picked up loads of stuff

They’ve certainly done a good job at expanding very basic source material over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom