Microsoft have bought Bethesda

I can't tell if this is going to be good, bad, or more of the same

Every single decent gaming studio they've bought has turned to SHIT so GOOD LUCK with the new ELDER SCROLLS!

Elder Scrolls has been in decline since Oblivion (some will say Daggerfall) but I've still enjoyed the installments, Skyrim in particular was fun if a bit light on the RPG aspect. Fallout 4 was a nail in the coffin though for me, it felt like a duplication rather than a new game, you couldn't tell it had been 7 years since the previous! and news of Bethesda using the same engine for TES 6 is disparaging!

will the acquisition mean (temporary) exclusivity on a title like TES? seems a bit superfluous when they've also got Bethesda's biggest competitor in that field, Obsidian

I mean I'm GRANDSTANDING because THERE'S NO FUN in being 100% TRUTHFUL and ACCURATE with these things, but they did acquire Rare off Nintendo just when they had tipped over in quality output and also bought off Lionhead Studios until they ran it into the ground making Fable sequels until they had to close down.

touching further on the point of Bethesda and Obsidian (which is apparently also a subsidiary of Microsoft) I guess it isn't very good news. it's been an absolute joy to see Obsidian (re)claiming territory which Bethesda has long abandoned in favour of mobile games and online platforms. at their height Bethesda delivered some now classics of the RPG genre. if becoming a sheeple in the same fold means slacking in competition then boo, hello bland central :(

When did Bethesda have an actual big hit?

Skyrim which is sadly close to ten years old

I believe ESO has a rather large player base too... and Doom

Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 are both duds. I'm surprised they are even keeping Fallout 76 alive for the five fans that are holding on

How is XBox actually doing these days? Isn't it kinda flopping?

Their catastrophic XB1 launch has taken them A LONG time to get over but they're going in HARD this gen with a serious value proposition across two consoles.

£28.99 pm for 24 months and you get the full Series X with Gamepass ultimate. £20.99 for the Series S. Third parties are only as benevolent as your audience size, if they get a march, then they could be hitting up the early 360 glory days.

They won't anything in Japan but even the Ps4 has utterly wilted in the face of Switch, which overhauled it and then monstered it.

Could go any way this gen.

My guess is that after contractual exclusives, Microsoft will use gamepass as the only way for other platforms to access these games (which would depend on Sony and Nintendo playing ball). I keep reading this idea that Microsoft should "do right by the industry" by keeping Bethesda games multiplatform and just don't think the volume of this concern would be the same if it had been Sony to make this acquisition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom