MOOPY ALBUM SYNC LISTEN - Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill

You sound like Tori Amos speaking about Jagged Little Pill in May 1998:

"I really like her. She's such a good person. I like her as a person a lot. I like the songwriting and I think I like her singing but I've got to tell you, I have a hard time listening to that record, just on a sonic level. It would make a dog's ears hurt. I hate records that have so much high end and no bottom."
She's one to talk!

07 All I Really Want
10 You Oughta Know
08 Perfect
10 Hand In My Pocket
06 Right Through You
06 Forgiven

08 All I Really Want
10 You Oughta Know
06 Perfect
09 Hand In My Pocket
07 Right Through You
05 Forgiven
08 You Learn

You Learn is very Laugh Love Live but make it 90s grunge pop. It's a strong mid album breather.

06 All I Really Want
09 You Oughta Know
08 Perfect
09 Hand In My Pocket
08 Right Through You
07 Forgiven
08 You Learn

She is generally considered a talented songwriter who never "lost it" right? Is JLP considered her best material by the fanbase or not?

You Learn is really a lovely summary of life, isn't it? I mean not quite Des'Ree but CLOSE

07 All I Really Want
10 You Oughta Know
08 Perfect
10 Hand In My Pocket
06 Right Through You
06 Forgiven
10 You Learn

Oh I don't know about that Jark, I have a couple of friends who are fans and are VERY disdainful about her recent output (before this era i might add)

Head Over Feet is my favourite of the singles. It may be the contentment in it, which seems a little weird in the context of the rest of the album.

She is generally considered a talented songwriter who never "lost it" right? Is JLP considered her best material by the fanbase or not?
Probably not by her fanbase. I think that's partly because more "wordy" stuff came later (SFIJ in particular) and partly because 25 years later her concerts are still 85% JLP and the fans are sick of it now.

Breaking it down, it's an amazing album and I can still listen to it in full and feel like no time's passed. It's a classic and is the only one of her albums I'd describe as such, but it's probably not my favourite. If that makes sense.

Head Over Feet is my favourite of the singles. It may be the contentment in it, which seems a little weird in the context of the rest of the album.

I distinctly remember reviews from the time that HoF was released as a single saying "She may be a manhater, but even Alanis isn't immune to love"

08 All I Really Want
10 You Oughta Know
06 Perfect
09 Hand In My Pocket
07 Right Through You
05 Forgiven
08 You Learn
08 Head Over Feet

Oh I don't know about that Jark, I have a couple of friends who are fans and are VERY disdainful about her recent output (before this era i might add)
Her most recent album (8 years ago now :eyes:) was a bit of a disappointment. The songs were good but the production was bad.

I think that coupled with the fact that she just fucked off and spent the next six years talking about crystals on Instagram did lose her some solid fans over the years. They just wanted some music and she just wouldn't/couldn't.

Thankfully, and finally, it looks like Such Pretty Forks will be somewhat a return to form. She's been missed.

10 All I Really Want
10 You Oughta Know
09 Perfect
09 Hand In My Pocket
10 Right Through You
10 Forgiven
10 You Learn
10 Head Over Feet

07 All I Really Want
10 You Oughta Know
08 Perfect
10 Hand In My Pocket
06 Right Through You
06 Forgiven
10 You Learn
09 Head Over Feet

I distinctly remember reviews from the time that HoF was released as a single saying "She may be a manhater, but even Alanis isn't immune to love"
One more example of reviewers being awful. There's no suggestion that she hates men when they're not behaving like arseholes.

ALBUM RANK

1. Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie (1998)
2. Under Rug Swept (2002)
3. Jagged Little Pill (1995)
4. Flavors of Entanglement (2008)
5. So-called Chaos (2004)

6. Havoc and Bright Lights (2012)

Last edited:
08 All I Really Want
10 You Oughta Know
06 Perfect
09 Hand In My Pocket
07 Right Through You
05 Forgiven
08 You Learn
08 Head Over Feet
07 Mary Jane

06 All I Really Want
09 You Oughta Know
08 Perfect
09 Hand In My Pocket
08 Right Through You
07 Forgiven
08 You Learn
07 Head Over Feet
09 Mary Jane

this album doens't have any serious lows like I half expected. It's really consistent while also being stylistically diverse. Mary Jane is so pretty and lovely.

I don't think I've heard 'Mary Jane' for about twenty years. It's a really sweet song.

10 All I Really Want
10 You Oughta Know
09 Perfect
09 Hand In My Pocket
10 Right Through You
10 Forgiven
10 You Learn
10 Head Over Feet
10 Mary Jane

I think the way the musical does Ironic is VERY clever but others disagree :side-eye:

It's a bit of a throwaway number, set in school. The daughter is sing-reading a poem she wrote and after the first "isn't it ironic" a student puts his hand up and the song stops and he goes "erm... that actually isn't ironic". And there's a bit more BANTER about that and then it kicks into the full instrumentation.

I thought it was a good way to ADDRESS the boring moans that this song attracts

She has said that this song was meant to be a bit of a laugh and it is difficult when everyone in the world is pointing and laughing at you for being stupid and having a song called Ironic that isn't ironic.

I think the way the musical does Ironic is VERY clever but others disagree :side-eye:

It's a bit of a throwaway number, set in school. The daughter is sing-reading a poem she wrote and after the first "isn't it ironic" a student puts his hand up and the song stops and he goes "erm... that actually isn't ironic". And there's a bit more BANTER about that and then it kicks into the full instrumentation.

I thought it was a good way to ADDRESS the boring moans that this song attracts
I guess this her way of saying YES I KNOW after twenty five years of people commenting on it.

Reactions: dUb
07 All I Really Want
10 You Oughta Know
08 Perfect
10 Hand In My Pocket
06 Right Through You
06 Forgiven
10 You Learn
09 Head Over Feet
06 Mary Jane

I'm sure there's also a sporcle quiz to list the things Alanis finds ironic as well.

Also this song was banned after 9/11
That's going be either because of the reference to the plane crash or the bit where she says 'Death to America, the Great Satan, inshallah'.

06 All I Really Want
09 You Oughta Know
08 Perfect
09 Hand In My Pocket
08 Right Through You
07 Forgiven
08 You Learn
07 Head Over Feet
09 Mary Jane
11 Ironic

A once in a generation kind of anthem. Perfection.

10 All I Really Want
10 You Oughta Know
09 Perfect
09 Hand In My Pocket
10 Right Through You
10 Forgiven
10 You Learn
10 Head Over Feet
10 Mary Jane
10 Ironique

Users who are viewing this thread

Back