PJ Harvey - general discussion (new vinyl reissues)

Uh Huh Her demos coming April 30th. Possibly my favourite Polly album. Shame sounds exactly the same though :D Which is no surprise since the album was basically DEMOS ANYWAY.

Sorry for randomly bumping the thread and for Dark Carnival's benefit:
99-F50874-2134-4469-87-A3-8025-A3-CFC1-BC.jpg
u4P1aWx_d.webp

I started with Is This Desire? which, for a long period of time, was my favourite album of hers. I'm not sure at this point what my favourite is to be honest. Changes all the time.

I've not really listened to the UH HUH HER demos but 'The Letter' one is slightly FUNKIER than the final product. In fact feels less like a demo 💥

OMG literally lolling and JAZZING IT UP myself at this Peej//NYC collab of DREAMS!

Also why is the White Chalk vinyl randomly about 27.99? All the others have been like 17.99 - 19.99 :D Is there something SPECIAL about the White Chalk one?

Not that I'm TIGHT, and White Chalk is one of my absolute Polly faves - but this reissue and demo vinyl really does start to ADD UP as an monthly expense :D

I stopped buying the demo vinyls after Rid of Me. I still stream them but I can't really justify the expenditure!

I think White Chalk is still £17.99 on her website but with shipping it goes up to around £24 which is the same price on Amazon.

My current PJ Harvey album rankéttè:

1. Rid Of Me
2. To Bring You my Love
3. Is This Desire?
4. Stories From the City, Stories from the Sea
5. Uh Huh Her
6. Let England Shake
7. White Chalk
8. Dry

9. Hope Demolition 6

1. Uh Huh Her
2. Is This Desire?
3. Rid of Me
4. To Bring You My Love
5. White Chalk
6. Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea
7. Hope Six Demolition Project
8. Let England Shake
9. Dry

tumblr_oh9jp7dwHQ1tmuf2bo7_500.gifv

1 Rid of Me
2 To Bring You My Love
3 Is This Desire
4 Dry
5 Uh Huh Her
6 Stories From The City Stories From The Sea
7 Hope Demolition Six Project
8 Let England Shake
9 White Chalk

There are none that I dislike or that bore me.

Maybe I need to reassess Hope Demolition 6 after these two scores. It just never gelled with me.

So anyway is it just me or do the Uh Huh Her demos sound more polished/finished than the final album versions? The extra harmonies in 'The Pocket Knife' :disco:

1. Rid of Me
2. Stories From The City, Stories From The Se
3. Uh-Huh Her (would be 2 if she'd included the title track)
4. To Bring You My Love
5. Dry
6. Is This Desire
7. White Chalk
8. Let England Shake
9. Hope Demolition Six Project

1-6, I could shuffle about on any given day and still be happy enough. White Chalk is an outlier. I struggled with 'Shake' - it was so widely praised but I couldn't quite get it; couldn't work out what I was missing. Hope6, I just couldn't get into at all.

Shall we attempt a PJ Harvey top 10? I would find that much more difficult than ranking her masterpiece albums to be fair (except for Home Demolition Six Project which is just a no from me.)

We could go for an 'at the moment' / 'off the top of my hairdo (Sheena (TM))' approach instead of all time.

Top 10 is totally mood dependent. I could give you a different one every day if the week.

The only song on Hope 6 I’m not fussed on is The Ministry of Social Affairs. Otherwise all the others have lots of lovely twists and turns and enjoyable melodies.

RIGHT NOW off the top of my head

1. It's You
2. My Beautiful Leah
3. The Dancer
4. Rid Of Me
5. The Darker Days of Me and Him
6. Shame
7. The Last Living Rose
8. April
9. You Said Something
10. White Chalk

Right. Off the top of my tete as well:

1. The Dancer
2. A Place Called Home
3. Missed
4. Naked Cousin
5. The River
6. Angelene
7. The Letter
8. When Under Ether
9. Shame
10. Happy & Bleeding

Meet ZE Monsta came up on my playlist yesterday when I was out for a long walk in the forest and I nearly collapsed.

1170420.jpg

Seriously her visual reinventions are so underrated as well.

And out of the Tori/Bjork trio of the '90s she's the only one whose output has remained consistent. Not that I would want to put strong independent females against each other (even though I just did ugh sorry) - it's only because they were on that iconic Q cover together..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom