Presale Sunday

Even when it doesn’t get a daily thread until nearly midday.

Oh dear. That post is going to look a bit insane when the two threads get merged.

Do you Scots have the best old words and phrases for everything?

I have a handful of favourites, of which 'hurkle-durkle' is one, even if it does sound rather too energetic for the activity being described. I love 'dwam' which is used if you've been daydreaming or otherwise not paying attention e.g. "sorry, I was in a dwam, what did you say there?".

And never forget that Scotland is the only country in the world where 'cunt' can be found in a compliment.

Dunno, the ausies use cunt pretty liberally with great effect and coño is spanish for cunt but is considered a pretty mild expletive and is used as a term of endearment/encoragment

How does a kilt fitting go? In my mind they measure your waist and you’re done :D

presumably it’s more complicated then

How does a kilt fitting go? In my mind they measure your waist and you’re done :D

presumably it’s more complicated then
I mean, basically. They measure for your jacket and shirt too and you try some on then they order it in the Tartan you pick

Finally getting to enjoy our new garden in the sun.

The garden is south facing and partly surrounded by trees, so the sunlight is very much of the dappled variety, which is just lovely!

Plus we've managed to get a washing line up, which helps proceedings!

I was under the impression that you can't just choose a tartan, it has to be your family tartan.
You CAN do it like that, but it's not as big a thing nowadays - also neither of us have a Scottish surname so you'd have to go back at least a generation or two until there is one (unless you get into Irish tartans for me I suppose), and it's all too much faff so we both just went for ones we liked the look of :D

We have an election next week and the liberals are losing so they’ve gone with this very subtle message for today’s conference

• Wow
Reactions: COB
I think the big question is whether you are allowed to wear underpants when you’re just trying on the tartan.

You CAN do it like that, but it's not as big a thing nowadays - also neither of us have a Scottish surname so you'd have to go back at least a generation or two until there is one (unless you get into Irish tartans for me I suppose), and it's all too much faff so we both just went for ones we liked the look of :D
My mum has a tartan from her maiden name, but it is HIDEOUS.

Also so much of the family tartan stuff was just made up anyway in Victorian times

I think the big question is whether you are allowed to wear underpants when you’re just trying on the tartan.
I tried it on with my jeans still on.

The secret with a kilt is you wear underwear and lie about it. If you're caught out, you're probably glad you had the underwear on in the first place.

I think I'd wear pyjamas. They look itchy.

My friend and his dad never wore undies under their kilts. I know this for a fact because once they'd had a reasonable amount to drink it would be indecent exposure galore.

My friend and his dad never wore undies under their kilts. I know this for a fact because once they'd had a reasonable amount to drink it would be indecent exposure galore.
Perhaps they were just perverts

Perhaps they were just perverts

No, just drunken Scotsmen. If anybody should be called perverted it was probably those of us shrieking "show us what's under your kilts!" or "give us a feel of your furry sporrans" :shy:

You couldn't take me anywhere in the olden days.

Yeah, whenever my cousins are required to wear kilts for any event, there’s a ceremonial flashing to prove that they are true Scotsmen. It’s meant to only happen the once…

Just been to deliver my niece her birthday presents for Thursday. After pleading appeals, she was allowed to open them today. Everything went down well so I'm currently popular. My wee nephew is awfy emotional tho'. He gets het up really fast.

Our family surname has a tartan which is utterly vile. Happily, there is also a "Modern" version and this was cheerfully adopted by everyone involved for my brother's wedding. That's nearly 20 years ago now. Blimey.

Omg the lawn mower works. I've had the BEST AFTERNOON

(RIP Sarah x)

Omg the lawn mower works. I've had the BEST AFTERNOON

(RIP Sarah x)
Just as ours packed up last week. Hopefully may be able to pick a new one up in a sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom