Radio 2 vote for your ultimate Madonna songs!

Radio 2 are doing a poll of people's favourite Madonna songs (like they did with Kylie). We have until the 8th December to vote.

The only thing is, it's top ten hits only! #justicefortakeabow

I love both Madonna and Kylie in general so this is definitely not a one is better than the other comment but it’s way harder for me to single out 5 Madonna choices than 5 Kylie, for positive reasons.

I don't like that you can vote multiple times for the same song. It encourages casuals to vote heavily for the obvious ones.

I need to give this some thought.

Get Together
Dress You Up
I'll Remember
You'll See
Nothing Really Matters

Like a Prayer
The Power of Goodbye x 2
Erotica x 2

They need the votes more, I wagered.

5 votes for I GUESS I JUST DON'T RECOGNISE YOU WITH YOUR CLOTHES ON TEE-HEE-HEE-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-FFFPPPPHHHH

Borderline
Crazy For You
Erotica
Like A Prayer
Another Suitcase In Another Hall (out of pity)

I could have voted for most of them, but went wit:

BORDERLINE
LA ISLA BONITA
YOU'LL SEE
FROZEN
CRAZY FOR YOU

Ray of Light
The Power of Good-Bye
What It Feels Like for a Girl
Like A Prayer
Hung Up

Impossible really, but I went with

Borderline
Frozen
Justify My Love
The Power Of Goodbye
Rain

I went with

La Isla Bonita
Crazy for You
Open Your Heart
Ray of Light
Nothing Really Mattters

Partly my fave, partly giving a few non obvious faves a lil boost :disco:

The Top 40 favourite Madonna singles as voted for by Radio 2 listeners are:

Like A Prayer (1989)
Vogue (1990)
Into The Groove (1985)
Papa Don't Preach (1986)
Like A Virgin (1984)
Borderline (1986)
Crazy For You (1985)
Ray Of Light (1998)
Holiday (1984)
Material Girl (1985)
La Isla Bonita (1987)
Hung Up (2005)
Live To Tell (1986)
Frozen (1998)
True Blue (1986)
Beautiful Stranger (1999)
Express Yourself (1989)
Cherish (1989)
Open Your Heart (1986)
Dear Jessie (1989)
Music (2000)
This Used To Be My Playground (1992)
Justify My Love (1990)
Dress You Up – 1985)
Don't Cry For Me Argentina (1996)
Deeper and Deeper (1992)
Who's That Girl (1987)
Don't Tell Me (2000)
The Power Of Good-Bye (1998)
American Pie (2000)
You'll See (1995)
Rain (1993)
4 Minutes [Madonna feat. Justin Timberlake] (2008)
Erotica (1992)
Hanky Panky (1990)
Sorry (2006)
Nothing Really Matters (1999)
Drowned World (Substitute For Love) (1998)
Die Another Day (2002)
What It Feels Like For A Girl (2001)

Top 10 is pretty what to expect, I was shocked Beautiful Stranger so high and Dear Jessie too

True Blue too high, The Power of Goodbye too low, Frozen robbed, and I Guess I Just Don't Recognise You With Your Clothes On Dirty Titter CRIMINALLY SNUBBED

I don't think that's too bad a lost. It was never going to be perfect, and I think most of my favourites have made it in somewhere.

The list pretty much expected to be fair but what a catalogue.

Who’s That Girl and Sorry always feel like her forgotten number ones. I guess they are too much in the shadow of La Isla Bonita and Hung Up respectively.

The biggest problem Who's That Girl faced was not being included on The Immaculate Collection. And looking at the results of this poll, most voters were around back then.

True Blue as well of course, but that's probably better remembered being the title track of her biggest studio album, rather than the title track of a box office bomb.

Last edited:
I hear True Blue on the radio just as often (if not more) than most of the big TIC hitters to be honest.
Cwejbookofstats etc.

Rescue Me is the only TIC track not on it, isn't it? Well, excluding Lucky Star as it isn't eligible. And Justify My Love as the other new track the lowest of those that are.

And then the other 14 tracks on it are all in the top 19.

Who’s That Girl is rather forgotten here too, compared to her other hits from that period. I think it being a transatlantic number 1 was more attributable to her imperial era at the time/the tour etc. but yeah being excluded from TIC didn’t help.

Who’s That Girl is rather forgotten here too, compared to her other hits from that period. I think it being a transatlantic number 1 was more attributable to her imperial era at the time/the tour etc. but yeah being excluded from TIC didn’t help.
Has it ever been on one of her other tour setlists? That’s not me expecting you to be the one to know by the way! I always feel La Isla Bonita is brought out to fill her Latin influenced pop quota instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom