Rick Astley & Blossoms to do two gigs of Smiths songs

I like the idea of this, all the smiths none of the racism, but I’m assuming he’d get some sort of pay out?

I like the idea of this, all the smiths none of the racism, but I’m assuming he’d get some sort of pay out?

Yes. The songwriters get royalties from live performances of their songs.

The best Smiths music is really very good.

I always got the impression Morrissey was a bigoted cunt, since the mid 90s and hated him. Always a bit weird that others didn't realise.

The best Smiths music is really very good.

I always got the impression Morrissey was a bigoted cunt, since the mid 90s and hated him. Always a bit weird that others didn't realise.

It didn't really become apparent until after The Smiths. The first real stinkbomb was a song called "Bengali In Platforms" on his first solo album which, at the time, was considered clumsy rather than racist (the refrain was "cos life is hard enough when you belong here"), the song being "why would you want to live in a shithole like this?" rather than "what are you doing here anyway?". The NME did their infamous cover after the song "The National Front Disco" about 4 years later, when Moz unfurled a Union Flag whilst supporting Madness at Finsbury Park in 92. But he didn't go absolutely full gammon until a good while after that.

I get the impression it was a very last minute thing that they might not even have come up with at the time they last saw him!

Plus he is busy doing his own (not very good) stuff.

But WHO KNOWS!

Johnny Marr has no reason to be jealous of anyone. He's always been very supportive of other bands and musicians and, lets face it, can afford to be. He's taken care of his Smiths royalties and plays because he still has the love for music; despite being asked to join the live bands of people like Pink Floyd and Rod Steward for stadium tours, he spent times as a member of Modest Mouse, The The and The Cribs...this is not the move of someone whose ego needs massaging.

What Difference Does It Make?
Bigmouth Strikes Again
Still Ill
Reel Around the Fountain
Cemetry Gates
Ask
Hand in Glove
Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others
The Boy With the Thorn in His Side
Girlfriend in a Coma
Well I Wonder 😍
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
Panic
William, It Was Really Nothing
Barbarism Begins at Home 😍
Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want

How Soon Is Now?
This Charming Man
There Is a Light That Never Goes Out

Blossoms were fantastic and had obviously done their homework. Much better than M*rrissey’s current band. Rick wasn’t trying to do a Moz impression, but obviously his own voice is fruity and wonderful :disco:

I’d have liked a Rick classic in Morrissey style for a laugh…

What Difference Does It Make?
Bigmouth Strikes Again
Still Ill
Reel Around the Fountain
Cemetry Gates
Ask
Hand in Glove
Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others
The Boy With the Thorn in His Side
Girlfriend in a Coma
Well I Wonder 😍
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
Panic
William, It Was Really Nothing
Barbarism Begins at Home 😍
Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want

How Soon Is Now?
This Charming Man
There Is a Light That Never Goes Out

Bloody hell, to borrow a phrase from today's parlance, they did not have to go that hard! That's a major set list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom