Screaming at Windows 10 Insanity

Mericat

Resting glitch face
Why did nobody tell me Windows 10 was a bit rubbish? I mean, I happily trotted along with Windows 8.1 for too long and now I finally have the laptop of my dreams, it comes with Windows 10 and no homegroup facility. How is a girl meant to transfer her lifetime collection of digital music from one computer to the other without homegroup?

Well... I'll tell you. She does it by downloading zip files from her Google One backup, painstakingly slowly and in a very chippy, annoyed fashion.

I think you can right click the folder and mount to the network, then you'll be able to access it from the other pc without needing home group.

But it's been ages since I last used windows 8

I think you can right click the folder and mount to the network, then you'll be able to access it from the other pc without needing home group.

But it's been ages since I last used windows 8
Thanks Zen, it kinda works but only in as much as the Windows 10 laptop will open up the media from the other laptop in *horrors* Windows Media Player only and I can't then transfer it or copy it, only access it. I think the slow download train is the only way to really do it forever. I'm on 'J' alphabetically speaking.

What is HomeGroup? I just keep all of my digital music on an external drive.
It used to be a way of linking computers on the same (wireless internet) network so you could easily access and transfer files between them... now it's been removed from Windows 10. And yeah I keep mine backed up on an external drive too, but after having one of them die on me, I decided backing up online was safer.

I'm glad I'm not the only Windows 10 hater. When my old laptop started acting up I just bought a couple of 1tb hard drives and dragged everything onto them. Spawn chose my new laptop and it was my 50th birthday prezzy, sadly not Alienware @Mericat (one day it shall be mine, so jealous right now) but she got me an Acer one with SSD and I trust her computing knowledge that it's supposedly a good one. Or it would be a good one without Windows 10. I transferred the documents, pictures and videos but still haven't finished the music files (eighteen months later) because there were so many of them (spawn's ex had put all of his DJ-ing music files in there) and the first folder I tried to transfer was going to take eight hours. And I've just realised I don't know where the drive with the music on is any more.

I'm ok on my work laptop but dear God the number of times my private laptop is struggling to establish a connection with my wifi due to alleged "ethernet cable" issues is driving me up the wall.

I DON'T USE AN ETHERNET CABLE. :(

I'm glad I'm not the only Windows 10 hater. When my old laptop started acting up I just bought a couple of 1tb hard drives and dragged everything onto them. Spawn chose my new laptop and it was my 50th birthday prezzy, sadly not Alienware @Mericat (one day it shall be mine, so jealous right now) but she got me an Acer one with SSD and I trust her computing knowledge that it's supposedly a good one. Or it would be a good one without Windows 10. I transferred the documents, pictures and videos but still haven't finished the music files (eighteen months later) because there were so many of them (spawn's ex had put all of his DJ-ing music files in there) and the first folder I tried to transfer was going to take eight hours. And I've just realised I don't know where the drive with the music on is any more.
Poor Floppet, losing your drive. The alienware is from the outlet, and I had significant contributions from my chap and my mum. I feel very fortunate.

I'm ok on my work laptop but dear God the number of times my private laptop is struggling to establish a connection with my wifi due to alleged "ethernet cable" issues is driving me up the wall.

I DON'T USE AN ETHERNET CABLE. :(

We have two wifis on our router, one normal and one 5g. My default connection is the normal one because 99% of the time Windows 10 is unable to connect to the 5g one but during the week it booted me off the normal one and has been running perfectly through the 5g one since then. For no reason whatsoever.

Poor Floppet, losing your drive. The alienware is from the outlet, and I had significant contributions from my chap and my mum. I feel very fortunate.

Oh it'll turn up one day in the bottom of a carrier bag of odd socks, old Tesco receipts and bank statements I'm sure.

Why did nobody tell me Windows 10 was a bit rubbish? I mean, I happily trotted along with Windows 8.1 for too long and now I finally have the laptop of my dreams, it comes with Windows 10 and no homegroup facility. How is a girl meant to transfer her lifetime collection of digital music from one computer to the other without homegroup?

Well... I'll tell you. She does it by downloading zip files from her Google One backup, painstakingly slowly and in a very chippy, annoyed fashion.
Are you sure? I've transferred all my photos from one laptop to another a few months ago. Both win10. It's painfully slow but doable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom