St Vincent - Daddy's Home

GNL

It's pronounced Ginnél
St Vincent is trading in NEON LYCRA for CORDS and 'warm wurlitzers' for her new album Daddy's Home. Out May 14th (with TRADING CARDS).

24c8b457a486a704fdb952046e767924c28228b8.png

I don't know if she has a large following on Moopy, but her last album Masseduction was a masterpiece, so GET INTO IT.

Reactions: RJN
Masseducation was great! I think anyone who liked Melodrama would like it too. I hope she works with Jack Antonoff again

Happy Birthday Johnny is one of the saddest songs I’ve heard

The poster is much better than the album cover.

Masseduction seems so long ago, I didn't really look into the acoustic version but Fast Slow Disco was tremendous.

The poster is much better than the album cover.

Masseduction seems so long ago, I didn't really look into the acoustic version but Fast Slow Disco was tremendous.

Agreed. The album artwork isn't very eye-catching tbh.

'Fast Slow Disco' was GAY RIGHTS! :disco:

Last edited:
I’ve heard of St Vincent but not really checked her out so I gave this song a listen and I’m OBSESSED.

When I said, "let me think, " and you yelled through your teeth
Accused me of actin' like all royalty
Always for show, no true charity
You saw me on magazines and TV
But they only knew the real version of me
Only you know the secrets, the swamp, and the fear
What happened to blood, our family?
Annie, how could you do this to me?
Of course, I blame me
When you get free, Johnny
I hope you find peace

:(:(

She's such a fantastic writer. The opening to that song is one of my favourite lyrics of hers.

Remember one Christmas, I gave you Jim Carroll
Intended it as a cautionary tale
You said you saw yourself inside there
Dog-eared it like a how-to manual

1. Pay Your Way In Pain
  2. Down And Out Downtown
  3. Daddy's Home
  4. Live In The Dream
  5. The Melting Of The Sun
  6. Humming [Interlude 1]
  7. The Laughing Man
  8. Down
  9. Humming [Interlude 2]
  10. Somebody Like Me
  11. My Baby Wants A Baby
  12. …At The Holiday Party
  13. Candy Darling
  14. Humming [Interlude 3]
Multiple humming interludes :D She has unusual track names so I won't judge until I hear them

Reactions: GNL

It's a bit PRINCE.

Last edited:
I think it’s going to be a grower, hopefully. I didn’t dislike it, but it didn’t grab me immediately like New York did when I first heard it. Maybe because it’s less poppy

I love the visuals

just played this. my immediate thoughts were: can I just play Fast Slow Disco instead?

so that's what I'm doing :disco:

Definitely hear some Prince and some Bowie in there. I'm quite into the sound but not all in on the song yet, and that was with the visuals which I liked.

Can't say I LOVE this single, and a lot of the reference points for this album are some of my least favourite musical artists :D So QUITE LIKELY I may have to sit this album out.

I've always struggled a bit with St Vincent. The likes of Pitchfork have been pushing her SO HARD since the first album as some sort of US-equivalent to a PJ Harvey figure, when in MY OPINION it's only really Masseduction that stands up as a complete work. I'd also argue Sharon Van Etten is the PJ figure that they should be backing instead :D But let's not pitch females against each other on International Women's Day, or indeed EVER!

Fast Slow Disco is so fun that she had her Robyn moment, and such an amusing FUCK IT THIS IS FOR THE GAYS moment :D It really took a lower-tier album track and elevated it. The cheapo video that's literally full of BEAR GAYS is quite FUNNY too, very Mary J Blige 'Give Me You' (GAY REMIX) :D

Ok, I am now fully ON BOARD. I love the single, the video, the whole aesthetic of this project. YASSS! :disco:

I've always been a bit put off by her but having unpacked the issues (:)) I think I may be on board now :disco:

Ok, I am now fully ON BOARD. I love the single, the video, the whole aesthetic of this project. YASSS! :disco:
Same. Funnily enough for me the single was instant. Masseduction wasn't instant for me which in retrospect is sacrilege because it quite clearly is her best album and yes it's a masterpiece.

Lovely kimono - shame about the over the counter drug addiction :(

This made me laugh too, considering Annie got her bike freshly stolen today!

this makes me wanna dye my hair blonde, move to new york, and get my bike stolen.

Callous :D

The Tori reference :disco:

Last edited:
I like that SO much more than Pay Your Way In Pain on first listen. Much more instant. I especially like the choir (or maybe just layers of her vocals) towards the end. Sounds perfect for laying by the pool.

Anything instant at all?

'Somebody Like Me' sounds a lot like her early work, if you're familiar.

I really love 'My Baby Wants a Baby'. In fact the second half of the album generally is stronger than the first, I'd say.

I really like "...At the Holiday Party", but the whole album is such a mood piece it's difficult to pick out highlights.

At the holiday party
Red wine-lipped a little early
Reminiscing got us laughing
And that's when I saw your face cracking

Reactions: GNL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom