Steps - Platinum KNOCKOUT - Round 2

VOTE FOR YOUR EIGHT LEAST FAVOURITES

• Total voters

GinAg (39)

User
Pronouns
He/Him
So the first-round losses are very 'end of the album' heavy. The exception is their debut single 5,6,7,8 which as a Europop line dancing number doesn't really fit with the rest of their oeuvre, falling squarely into the realm of novelty. Just Like the First Time, Baby Don't Dance and A Hundred Years of Winter all suffer from appearing on their least successful album 'Last Dance' and WTFH2. 'Better the Devil You Know' really fell into that "'Tragedy' was a monster hit let's cover other disco classics" category. The choice to cover Devil was clearly not one they labored over for long, seeing as Kylie was one of the biggest pop stars in the world at that point. The ballads at the end, were never why I enjoyed Steps. Someone somewhere decided that pop acts needed saccharine ballads to compliment the hi-NRG pop, but that was a LIE. Words Are Not Enough has some charm though, especially in remixed form. Still not the least imaginative cover of I Know Him So Well (Hi Mel and Emma). Tears for misery fest 'Happy' and 'Dancing With a Broken Heart' the latter was allegedly a Delta Goodrim (sp?) original.

=30 Better the Devil You Know (9)
=31 A Hundred Years Of Winter (10)
=32 Dancing With a Broken Heart (11)
=33 Baby Don't Dance (13)
=33 Happy (13)
=33 Just Like the First Time (13)
=36 5,6,7,8 (15)
=37 I Know Him So Well (23)
=38 When I Said Goodbye (26)
=38 Words Are Not Enough (26)

Last edited:
Oh I love Hundred Years of Winter :( people just can’t handle Darren Hayes being homosexual

Oh I love Hundred Years of Winter :( people just can’t handle Darren Hayes being homosexual
I think I listened to the original album once and that was once too many. That being said the Freemasons remix here is pretty decent.

I'm targeting the midtempos now. Obviously the glorious It's The Way You Make Me Feel is the exception

I couldn't make it to eight in the end!

what a fantastic Back Cat! Although OH PISS I forgot to vote for "After the love is gone" - I'm not sure that dance routine even flew in 1999, oof!!
It's got everything:
Dragon-print clothes, chopstick up-do, high kicks, hadoukens, Ganesh arms... a veritable Asian buffet of cancellation

A Hundred Years of Winter wasn't on Light Up The World, it was on What The Future Holds Pt II!

I couldn't make it to eight in the end!

what a fantastic Back Cat! Although OH PISS I forgot to vote for "After the love is gone" - I'm not sure that dance routine even flew in 1999, oof!!
It's got everything:
Dragon-print clothes, chopstick up-do, high kicks, hadoukens, Ganesh arms... a veritable Asian buffet of cancellation
I'm sure I just watched back in the day and thought "a China Town theme, how charming."

Speaking of Steps being cancelled, I found this:

I wonder if LSL is still pro capital punishment. Heads will roll at Capital.

• BOOM BOOM
Reactions: COB
I suspect they're somewhat more advanced these days. On BBC Breakfast (@Halli) they looked revolted at the prospect of having Tory fans. This was after the reveal that Angela Raynor is a Steps fan.

But by god, I'd forgotten all about Light Up The World. Whose idea was THAT?

Bit obsessed with this 1950s bodybuilder CGI of Lee

Screenshot_20220825-124304_Chrome.jpg

But by god, I'd forgotten all about Light Up The World. Whose idea was THAT?
Totally something thrown out super quickly to compliment the TV show and the tour. Full of limp covers. Dance pop was huge at that point too, they could have easily dropped an album full of EDM bangers. Then they fucking vanished for 5 years!

Totally something thrown out super quickly to compliment the TV show and the tour. Full of limp covers. Dance pop was huge at that point too, they could have easily dropped an album full of EDM bangers. Then they fucking vanished for 5 years!

But it wasn't super quickly/ tossed out. The TV show was the previous year and they'd already had The Ultimate Collection to cash in on that the previous year!

It did coincide with a tour, but it was only a small, few- date Christmas tour. The main tour had already been and gone earlier in the year.

But it wasn't super quickly/ tossed out. The TV show was the previous year and they'd already had The Ultimate Collection to cash in on that the previous year!

It did coincide with a tour, but it was only a small, few- date Christmas tour. The main tour had already been and gone earlier in the year.
Forgot about the Ultimate Collection!

In that case there really was no excuse. At least they probably looked at that and thought "that's what we don't want" when the Tears project came around. I seem to recall they specifically promised "no ballads".

Forgot about the Ultimate Collection!

In that case there really was no excuse. At least they probably looked at that and thought "that's what we don't" want when the Tears project came around. I seem to recall they specifically promised "no ballads".

I wonder if they were scared to fail on their own material. A christmas album is a "test the water" (which failed...), I suppose, without too much long term damage.

And there was Story of a Heart on Tears...albeit that they provided a disco version too!

I had this weird chart nerd vendetta against Stomp considering how that was their other No.1 when there were so many more deserving.

But these days I do sort of love it

I want to die in a CAR CHASE listening to THIS VERSION of The Runner.

I have about 3 albums of Steps singles to catch up on before I vote, but I’m listening to A Hundred Years of Winter for the first time and I will not be voting for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom