Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
10/10 album and it's not even their best!

2014Suede_ComingUp_120614-1.jpg

10 Trash
11 Filmster
09 Lazy
09 By the Sea
09 She
10 Beautiful Ones
07 Starcrazy
08 Picnic by the Motorway
08 The Chemistry Between Us
10 Saturday Night

11 Trash
09 Filmstar
07 Lazy
10 By the Sea
09 She
10 Beautiful Ones
07 Starcrazy
08 Picnic by the Motorway
09 The Chemistry Between Us
10 Saturday Night

Brilliant album. It was ridiculous leaving Europe Is Our Playground off though.

I wasn't sold on Lazy as a single at the time and I think it maybe still makes me view it a bit more harshly.

It was the perfect album for them at that time. After being written off by most of their supporters in the music press (the music press - remember that?), they had no choice but to roar out of the traps and "Trash" was the PERFECT single with which to do that. Making an album as dayglo bright as the sleeve was a great move and it still stands as a superb album.

10 Trash
10 Filmstar
08 Lazy
09 By the Sea
07 She
09 Beautiful Ones
09 Starcrazy
10 Picnic by the Motorway
11 The Chemistry Between Us
10 Saturday Night

It was ridiculous leaving Europe Is Our Playground off though.

I know what you mean because the original recording of that - as heard on the b-side of "Trash" - is absolutely magnificent but it absolutely would not have fitted.

If you run through the "Coming Up" b-sides, there is potentially an excellent but much darker album than "Coming Up" which wouldn't have had the same response or impact. But it's hard not to imagine an album with "Europe...", "Have You Ever Been This Low", "Young Men", "Every Monday Morning Comes", "WSD" and so on alongside, say, "Picnic" "By The Sea", "Saturday Night" and so on.

Such a strong album, I love it though the debut is probably the one I connect most to due to its timing and association with other things for me.

I think Lazy is a great single. It’s problem is it’s a single on the same album as Trash and Beautiful Ones which are like the boisterous, slightly more fun siblings.

I know what you mean because the original recording of that - as heard on the b-side of "Trash" - is absolutely magnificent but it absolutely would not have fitted.

If you run through the "Coming Up" b-sides, there is potentially an excellent but much darker album than "Coming Up" which wouldn't have had the same response or impact. But it's hard not to imagine an album with "Europe...", "Have You Ever Been This Low", "Young Men", "Every Monday Morning Comes", "WSD" and so on alongside, say, "Picnic" "By The Sea", "Saturday Night" and so on.
I’ve dug out Sci Fi Lullabies disc 2 as a result of this post for the first time in years.

From peepshows to discos
From Spain to CAMBER SANDS

:(:disco::( x every lock of hair in Brett’s lovely head

Quite why they EVER felt the need to meddle with the original version is beyond me. Utterly immaculate and easily in my Suede Top 10. Possibly even Top FIVE

Oh God and ‘W.S.D.’ INDEED! We’re so disco we can’t get on in this world anymore :(:disco:

SUEDE SOIRÉE AWAITS!

Oh I don't know if I can even

But OH we are YOUNG and not TIRED OF IT
OH we are YOUNG and EASILY LED
:(

"It's sadder than it probably sounds..."

I've retrieved the deluxe editions of the first three albums for a bit of looning.

Reactions: Zu
I didn't see the Coming Up edition of Suede until 2013, when they toured "Bloodsports". They were bloody marvellous and knew exactly what they were doing: all the singles from "Suede" and "Coming Up" (except "Lazy"), deep cuts from "Dog Man Star" (they opened with "Still Life"!), key b-sides like "My Insatiable One", exactly fuck all from "Head Music" or "A New Morning" and the 4 best songs from "Bloodsports". Superb.

I didn't see the Coming Up edition of Suede until 2013, when they toured "Bloodsports". They were bloody marvellous and knew exactly what they were doing: all the singles from "Suede" and "Coming Up" (except "Lazy"), deep cuts from "Dog Man Star" (they opened with "Still Life"!), key b-sides like "My Insatiable One", exactly fuck all from "Head Music" or "A New Morning" and the 4 best songs from "Bloodsports". Superb.
They are spoilt for choice for sure. Head Music was a dip in form but I still enjoyed it. Everything Will Flow remains lovely although it’s veering towards MOR and She’s In Fashion was a good single.

"It's sadder than it probably sounds..."

I've retrieved the deluxe editions of the first three albums for a bit of looning.

OMG the deluxes passed me by! They didn’t have what I wanted in Rough Trade today and I think I deserve all three if they’re still available

‘Coming Up’ as a whole gets a generous 8 from me, although it’s more realistically a 7. I much prefer their grandiose, half-hysterical melodramas (‘Pantomime Horse’, ‘The 2 Of Us’, ‘Black or Blue’, etc.) and some of it was just too jolly for my liking, hence heading for the B-sides. Also, I really don’t like ‘Saturday Night’ very much AT ALL

They are spoilt for choice for sure. Head Music was a dip in form but I still enjoyed it. Everything Will Flow remains lovely although it’s veering towards MOR and She’s In Fashion was a good single.

The deluxe edition helps "Head Music" because the b-sides show that there was a good album in there, they were just in too grave a state of disrepair as a group to find it. It still wouldn't have been up to the standard of the first three but it would have been less of a crash.

OMG the deluxes passed me by! They didn’t have what I wanted in Rough Trade today and I think I deserve all three if they’re still available

I had to get replacement DVDs for "Suede" and "Coming Up" off of Demon because they fucked up the authoring but other than that they were excellent packages. I mean, no-one listens to demos twice but, hey, so what?

I‘m on a major Suede Binge after having forgotten about them since Head Music.. I never really gave the new albums a chance but Night Thoughts and Blue Hour are brilliant and up there with their first 2 albums.
I think not listening anymore was simply because they encapsulated a certain time in my life ( Dog Man Star was a huge influence for me and one of my most listened to records) that it always felt like reliving a moment that was over.. but those last two albums actually feel like a new beginning. They are such a brilliant band and I’m so happy to have found them again! .. now I can’t wait for Autofiction

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom