The Netherlands 2019: Duncan Laurence - Arcade

Mahmood:
- Sold our European tour
- Biggest selling Italian language song of all time
- Burberry campaign
- EMA award, and Barrio now gold in Italy.

Erm, what? It’s the most played Eurovision song on Spotify but the biggest selling Italian song of all time? Hardly. And he’s hardly selling out stadiums - his London gigs were in a venue that LOUISE sold out last year.

He is doing very well but he’s hardly Eros Ramazzoti or Laura Pausini.

Last edited:
And I would say that last year was also the case of the runner up being a lot more successful after Eurovision.

This is having a proper resurgence, apparently thanks to TikTok (what else?)

It originally spent just one week in the UK top 100 at #67, but in the past four weeks it's gone 90-95-98-78, so there's a good chance it'll earn a new peak. (In fact, it's at #55 on the midweeks!)

It's also at #103 on Spotify.

Last edited:
How odd, but totally here for TikTok making this a bit rather than the normal rubbish.

There was a random duet version released with Fletcher a few months back, though I guess that probably followed on from the TikTok interest.

MAHMOOD SHOULD HAVE WON
I mean Mahmood has a PLATINUM album, spawned a number of singles from said album, released a couple of new singles/collaborated with some well known Italian artists, has a new album in the pipeline and a SECOND European tour.

And Duncan has released what, ONE new song since his win? :D

I mean Mahmood has a PLATINUM album, spawned a number of singles from said album, released a couple of new singles/collaborated with some well known Italian artists, has a new album in the pipeline and a SECOND European tour.

And Duncan has released what, ONE new song since his win? :D
Maybe it has more to do with Mahmood's work ethic than individual song quality then? I agree that Soldi was a better song but Arcade had so many other production values at ESC.

If we sould've gone with the biggest hits then the last few winners would've been as follows...

2019: 'Soldi'
2018: 'Fuego'
2017: 'City Lights'
2016: 'If I Were Sorry'

Had those four really been better winners?

Apart from 2016, all of those would've been much better if you ask me :D
Blanche and Frans were duds on stage, of course they shouldn't have won :D

- "All alone in the danger zones" *scared blank stare* - Blanche, City Lights
- "Feel like it bursts inside" *same scared blank stare* - Blanche, Wrong Turn

Last edited:
Guys, Duncan has released a full album, an EP and multiple collaborations since he won. :D

By Eurovision winner standards he’s been insanely productive!

Guys, Duncan has released a full album, an EP and multiple collaborations since he won. :D

By Eurovision winner standards he’s been insanely productive!
Shame they're all SHITE then isn't it?

(I haven't heard any of these. Opinions expressed in this post, whilst almost certainly correct, are based on no evidence whatsoever)

Blanche and Frans were duds on stage, of course they shouldn't have won :D

- "All alone in the danger zones" *blank scared stare* - Blanche, City Lights
- "Feel like it bursts inside" *same blank scared stare* - Blanche, Wrong Turn
Fuego was robbed though, Netta basically rode the pre-contest hype to victory. I believe Eleni would've won had it just been one extra qualification round.

Maybe it has more to do with Mahmood's work ethic than individual song quality then? I agree that Soldi was a better song but Arcade had so many other production values at ESC.

If we sould've gone with the biggest hits then the last few winners would've been as follows...

2019: 'Soldi'
2018: 'Fuego'
2017: 'City Lights'
2016: 'If I Were Sorry'

Had those four really been better winners?
2019: 'Soldi' - YES
2018: 'Fuego' - YES
2017: 'City Lights' - YES
2016: 'If I Were Sorry' - NO

Fuego was robbed though, Netta basically rode the pre-contest hype to victory. I believe Eleni would've won had it just been one extra qualification round.
Absolutely, seeing how QUICKLY everyone grew tired of TOY (AND NETTA :eyes:)

Blanche managed to do what Roberto Bellarosa did a few years prior but even better, ie. cross the line into being SO inept as a performer that it actually works.

The live anxiety breathing exercise that was her arm dancing in the green room later with the rest of the Belgian delegation was also one of the spectacles of our time.

Reactions: Hak
I thought Duncan's album was great (although not even very successful here). He did score a few hits though.

And Arcade is at 182 million streams on Spotify, 10 million more than Soldi. I think that is pretty impressive for a Eurovision song.

Well it's leapt up to #70 on Apple Music and is climbing the top 100 on Spotify, so it may just become a 2021 actual hit :D

The POWER of FESTIVAL DI SOLDI :disco:

Reactions: COB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom