The Power of the Dog

Vote

• Total voters

Phoenix

I’m the hostess of the dinner
Pronouns
He/Him

Another Oscar contender that’s out next week on Netflix (might be playing this week). Starring Benedict Cumberbatch as a menacing rancher with Kirsten Dunst as his sister in law with her very gay son.

Power of the dog? More like power of the twink

This is out on Netflix now. Watch it, it’s good.

I really enjoyed it. Gothic and brooding. Even Cumberbatch didn’t turn my stomach like usual (though that frontal wasn’t necessary but the naked cowboys certainly WERE) and Kirsten Dunst gave GOOD FACE.

Last edited:
Saw it in the cinema 2 weeks ago and still felt the need to watch it on Netflix today, one of the best movies of the year

I really loved this! I personally didn't find it slow, but I DO watch a lot of films that would widely be described as "slow" as probably not the next judge on that front. I found it really absorbing, and the scenery was desolate but also lush. (I do also generally like Western films too :D)

I've never read the book, and had very little idea of the premise so went into it quite blind.
I was mainly expecting some sort of riff on the Brokeback Mountain GAY ROMANCE story, so the gag was on me when it was revealed that it was all about protecting Kirsten Dunst rather than getting some COCK.
What an intelligent way to kill somebody. I liked the foretelling with the young guy stroking the rabbit then SNAPPING ITS NECK earlier in the film too.
Quite interesting that the first line in the film is literally something about protecting your loved ones, then the second scene about why you shouldn't touch cows with anthrax :D
There were also hints at sexual abuse between the two brothers, and the completely different ways they dealt with it which felt very Jane Campion in how it was touched on, but left for interpretation.

I'm also a certified Cumberbatch hater also, but he was undeniably FANTASTIC in this. So much so at points I completely bought him as a character and stopped seeing Benedict on screen. My main note would be that the entire film would have made a bit more sense if we'd seen him be a bit
crueller to Kirsten Dunst

When Sam Elliott started talking about “Chippendales” allegedly being in this film, I genuinely thought he’d mixed it up with Channing Tatum’s DOG.

I just watched this and really liked it. It was slow to start with, but the last hour or so was pretty enthralling. I was really surprised by the ending. I feel like I need to watch it again having seen how it ends. Also I’ve loved Kirsten Dunst since her season of Fargo and enjoyed her performance here.

Netflix recommended it. It had Cumberbitch in it and was a western so I thought I'd love it. I didn't. No plot, nothing happening other than implied things.

Had the kid's card marked when he was cutting up bunnies (serial killer vibes), sealed it when he said he found his dad hanging and cut him down (didn't show any emotion), knew it was all over and I should stop watching when he was slicing the hide from the anthrax cow. I only continued to watch to the end because I was convinced something else would happen or there'd be a big reveal.

I gave it 3 for the quick glance of Cumberbitch's bod and bits in the pond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom