The UK physical singles chart

Marilyn

User
I've been thinking about making this thread for a while to celebrate the most under-appreciated and chaotic chart on Official Charts dot com: the physical singles chart. I cannot believe they still manage to list a top 100 when the sales toward the bottom must be in single figures but I'm sure glad they do

Some highlights from this week:

#1 with a bullet: Spice Girls - Wannabe (understandable given the reissue)
#10: New Order - Blue Monday (58th week)
#37: Kim Wilde & Boy George - Shine On
#76: Aphex Twin - Come To Daddy (144th week)
#78: Melanie C - Goin' Down (????)
#93: ABBA - Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!
#95: Elton John - Something About The Way You Look Tonight/Candle In The Wind 1997 (Diana anniversary sales?)

Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan and David Bowie are chart mainstays, usually with several entries each per week, and I swear to god a few months ago Ride It by Geri was a re-entry at the bottom of the chart

Anyway this is a space for me (or other physical singles chart enthusiasts) to report on whatever random gay-interest stuff manages to make this chart, until I forget to check/get embarrassed that I made this thread

Who I'd buying a new copy of Candle on the Wind?

And how did enough people buy a new copy of Goin' Down to get it to #78?? Is this a #stoptothetop style campaign between 3 Melanie C fans who found a stash of unsold singles at a local store? These are the mysteries of the Official Charts Physical Singles Sales Chart

I was just on Discogs confirming that Candle In The Wind 1997 was never reissued in any form and found this absolute horror :D

R-7568782-1444217985-6122.jpeg.jpg

I don't know about all of you but I'm BOPPING!

I was just on Discogs confirming that Candle In The Wind 1997 was never reissued in any form and found this absolute horror :D

R-7568782-1444217985-6122.jpeg.jpg

I don't know about all of you but I'm BOPPING!

a. Amazing
b. That means a handful of copies still exist on shelves.

I recall it spent about 10 years on the Canadian singles charts.

Oh I’ve just seen the devil horns on the paps

Sorry it’s just all a bit much to take in at once

Btw no matter where ABBA end up on the real singles chart next week, at least they’re guaranteed to be #1 on this one :disco:

• Love
Reactions: Zu
It's ABBAMANIA on the physical singles chart!

#1 I Still Have Faith In You
#2 Don't Shut Me Down
#34 The Winner Takes It All
#35 Chiquitita
#45 Super Trouper
#65 Happy New Year
#75 Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!

I did notice some of the previous picture discs were on display in HMV - £17 each. Eeep.

Interesting article about the resurrection of the CD single :disco:

As if you'd step into Woolworths with only £5 pocket money. Experience would tell you how much you'd have to have amassed from your parents wallets to make the difference if you were short.

Ugh. It's like the audio cassette 'surge' all over again. Does 'up 18%' mean anything when the total sold is still less than 60k for the year to date? The figures are so low to be statistically irrelevant.

Particularly when the article states that one of the two Sheeran songs has sold 11k on the format - and therefore that alone is responsible for the increase.

Ugh. It's like the audio cassette 'surge' all over again. Does 'up 18%' mean anything when the total sold is still less than 60k for the year to date? The figures are so low to be statistically irrelevant.

Particularly when the article states that one of the two Sheeran songs has sold 11k on the format - and therefore that alone is responsible for the increase.

Sales are SURGING!!! :kim:

Well exactly! That 11K is… 18% of the total :basil:

So with two songs, it means that if Ed hadn’t bothered, the market would be down year-on-year

Ed Sheeran saviour of music :love:

Seriously though, one very popular artist causing the SURGE is still a good thing in my opinion - it hopefully means smaller artists will try to get in on the hot CD single action and give me more crap to collect

• Love
CDs are still cheap to manufacture - if they weren't, the industry would have dumped them by now. The CD singles we've seen are just merch, a dip of a toe to see what kind of market there still is, where it lies and what that market will pay for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom