Theatre '21

First proper West End musical comeback visit today with the matinee of Everybody’s Talking About Jamie.

Honestly I actually had tears of joy in my eyes by the end of the first number. So so good to be back, and such a gorgeous uplifting show too. This was much better than when I saw it the first time as I previously felt a bit of a disconnect between the first and second act. Much of it had to do with casting actually - the current lot are IMO superior to the original cast, especially Melissa Jacques as Jamie’s mum.

First proper West End musical comeback visit today with the matinee of Everybody’s Talking About Jamie.

Honestly I actually had tears of joy in my eyes by the end of the first number. So so good to be back, and such a gorgeous uplifting show too. This was much better than when I saw it the first time as I previously felt a bit of a disconnect between the first and second act. Much of it had to do with casting actually - the current lot are IMO superior to the original cast, especially Melissa Jacques as Jamie’s mum.
I’ve got Heathers and Jamie in the next couple of weeks. Can’t wait.

I’ve got Heathers and Jamie in the next couple of weeks. Can’t wait.
Oh good luck with Heathers. I didn’t have a great time with that as it had a rather annoying and loud fanbase of 16 year old girls who yelled and screamed during the show. Hope some of that hype may have died down by now.

You’ll have a brilliant time with Jamie anyway.

I was tempted by the Jamie tour, until I discovered we get Shane Richie instead of Bianca Del Rio.

I saw Six in Plymouth last week. It was good but I did not enjoy the forced clapping/audience screechathon and sat stony faced throughout.

I saw Six in Plymouth last week. It was good but I did not enjoy the forced clapping/audience screechathon and sat stony faced throughout.
Oh I’ve booked that for October. The soundtrack is very fun to listen to, but again I’m weary of an overly enthusiastic demographic in the audience.

Oh I’ve booked that for October. The soundtrack is very fun to listen to, but again I’m weary of an overly enthusiastic demographic in the audience.
Don’t worry, it was fine until the last song/encore, at which point I promptly left.

Oh good luck with Heathers. I didn’t have a great time with that as it had a rather annoying and loud fanbase of 16 year old girls who yelled and screamed during the show. Hope some of that hype may have died down by now.

You’ll have a brilliant time with Jamie anyway.

Heathers just got cancelled for a covid positive cast/crew member

kim walker heathers GIF

So this was a first. Saw The Prince of Egypt matinee yesterday which was absolutely excellent and exceeded expectations (I have not seen the animated film). About 10 minutes into the second act, the lights went up and the police came rushing into the Dominion, shouting for a group of women to identify themselves. They did and were told to exit immediately.

The theatre later said it was due to a medical emergency, but I can’t really think of many plausible scenarios that would warrant interrupting an entire theatre production by the police.

I've got the massively divisive Open Air Theatre production of "Carousel" coming up soon (string section replaced by a brass band, Billy doesn't smack Julie around as much, overwhelmingly long interpretive dance sections) which I'm excited about but am hoping it's not a miss for me as I love Carousel dearly, for all its flaws.

Then a week later there's unimpeachable triple threat Sutton Foster in Cole Porter's "Anything Goes" which I pray is going to knock my socks off. It's "fight to get a ticket" stuff for this show's limited run and everyone who's seen says it's incredible – if you like tits, teeth and lots of tap :disco:

(showtime is from 1'23" in that YouTube clip)

I don't think ticket sales were all that when Megan Mullaly was the planned lead, were they? I felt as if it was being rammed down my throat pretty much everywhere online earlier this year. Although I guess I may be doing her a disservice and a lot of that could be due us still being in lockdown and people being incredibly hesitant to buy tickets for anything.

Oh I have Anything Goes booked for October, front row stalls. I’ve heard great things. Shame the Chinese rendition from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom couldn’t be inserted in there in some way.

I don't think ticket sales were all that when Megan Mullaly was the planned lead, were they? I felt as if it was being rammed down my throat pretty much everywhere online earlier this year. Although I guess I may be doing her a disservice and a lot of that could be due us still being in lockdown and people being incredibly hesitant to buy tickets for anything.
I don't think they were, but nor were they when it switched to Sutton. The eyewatering prices didn't help, nor did the fact it's playing in the middle of nowhere at the Barbican.

The reviews have been through the roof though which is probably a combination of a genuinely excellent production and pent up demand for something / anything with a feel good factor.

Oh I have Anything Goes booked for October, front row stalls. I’ve heard great things. Shame the Chinese rendition from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom couldn’t be inserted in there in some way.
That's the first time I ever heard the song - I've loved it ever since :D

Yi wang si-i wa ye kan doa Xin li bian yao la jing boa jin tian zhi dao
Anything goes!

I saw an 80s version of Anything Goes in London with Queen EP and Bernard Cribbins (!) which itself was a transfer of a Patti Lupone starring Broadway production. We met Elaine after and she was very EP - I was thrilled!

I went back again but it was ruined cause they put rotten old John Barrowman in it. I didn't bother with the 00s National Theatre production because of him.

My FACE IS HURTING from smiling too much at Back To The Future. So incredibly fun, I’ve booked again to go for my birthday but think I may book again before that too as I might convince my brother to come.

My friend managed to take some sneaky picture at the end as we were front row stalls.

This was directly above our heads
7541D641-3C0A-42CF-B28D-31F355CE71E4.jpeg

I've bought Frozen The Musical tickets for next Spring. The reviews have been largely positive haven't they? Not that a 7 year old and a 5 year old will care massively what the critics think.

If you have Apple TV, they have a recording of Come from Away streaming. It’s a lovely show.

As if it was ever going to not be saccharine!

Considering Hamilton in October, just need to find two seats which are actually together and not at opposite ends of the theatre. Reviews for the current run are mixed.

I am in the interval for INDECENT PROPOSAL THE MUSICAL.

Non shock spoiler - this is one of the worst things I’ve ever seen :D

• BOOM BOOM
Reactions: GNL
I REALLY want to go and see this Jaws behind-the-scenes play starring Robert Shaw's son (playing his father) about the 3 main actors and their hardships on set. It's had really good reviews as well. I'm in London in a couple of weeks but I don't think I'll have time to go see it. And it's probably a one and done run. WEEP.

I might be able to squeeze it in but would probably have to go alone. If not I might head back down in January just to catch the end of the run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom