What’s your favourite B*Witched number one?

Tell me your favourite B*Witched Numba One

• Total voters
One of them popped up in my feed on this yesterday

The Northern Line guy doesn’t appear to be terribly well acquainted with reality. He couldn’t possibly get a normal job or go to the supermarket after two minor hits that nobody remembers?

If this is how these lessers feel, I wonder if other legitimate ex-boy/girl band members had it worse. Imagine getting Robbie and Mel C in this for some serious insights and anecdotes, as for S Club 7 I'd love it if they had gotten Rachel or Jo too.

To be honest I'd be less interested in people like Robbie or Mel C because they always maintained a level of fame and visibility. I'm more interested in the ones who have to forge a more 'normal' life.

I remember dating that guy who had been in one of the Pop idol groups and he was just so miserable. It has been about 5 years and he wasn’t doing anything but going into the studio and recording. I guess he ran out of money in the end because he ended up working at Burberry (the HQ not the shop)

I chose those two based on the band they come from, I probably should have said I'm more interested in bands that had some kind of success outside the UK. Out of those featured, you could arguably say B*Witched and S Club 7 had worldwide fame of some level? I know 911 because I would buy imported TOTP magazines back in the day but I've never heard any of their songs. No idea who Northern Line was!

I often think of B*Witched and how insane it was they were dropped 3 singles after scoring four number ones and feel a pang of sorrow. I mean what else did the late 90s/early 00s WANT from an act? :D I guess everything from the importance of flashy videos getting their due returns on The Box and MTV Select with Donna Air, to CD pressings to shipping them off to CD:UK put everything on a knife edge as if nothing was sustainable. The true era of musical gluttony. A1 were pretty similar but B*Witched were the greatest cautionary tale of that time.

"To You I Belong" is the best. Just magical and I'm very happy they avoided that Spice Girls clash so they both got their number one. I doubt anyone would have predicted less than 2 years later B*Witched would be chopped and the Spice Girls would be snatching another (last) chart topper

The labels for the girl and boy bands were so aggressive. In the 60s 70s and 80s all the big acts would have difficult albums and then they’d eventually have comeback albums. Cher, Diana Ross, Aerosmith, Elton, Bowie, all spring to mind. Imagine if they’d all have been dropped after 1 poor album.

To be honest the way the record labels in the 90s were run entirely on cocaine and nepotism it’s hardly surprising

For whatever reason I'm listening to Awake and Breathe now and there really wasn't much more they could have done to change things, was there? There's no novelty value C'est La Vie type hit to be found, but equally I think Jesse Hold On was really good and way better than Rollercoaster which was their cheapest tattiest single so...oh well. It just wasn't happening, people didn't take to Jesse and it spiralled from there.

"Are You A Ghost?" would have inevitably done better than I Shall Be There though. That one is stunning. The rest, not so much

I remember thinking the singles from Awake & Breathe were really weak actually, even at the time.

Jesse Hold On was a pleasant 4th single campaign wrap-up but not a lead.

I Shall Be There brought out all the worst elements of the singer’s voice.

Jump Down was just embarassing.

They probably never had much of a shelf life but the album was a rush job and it really showed.

The new song they did with the rooftop video was very good. I honestly think they were dropped out of sheer obnoxious 90s industry hype.

Rollercoaster is such a weird video :D I just watched it. They fly around eating metal lollies, team up to punch a man into space and eat him, and eat planets and continents with no remorse. Is it like the Dark Phoenix saga?
Finally they cower before Satan.

I love Keavy flailing like a shark attack at the back of that rollercoaster dance line :D

Well I came in here to basically say all of this again so I’ll save myself the time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom