What's your Janet Jackson top 20? (2020 edition)

Together Again is her top song on Spotify but only has 106m streams. That's The Way Love Goes has 94m and All For You 81m. really low numbers, considering! the other legendary divas all do far better. we need that cultural Janaissance, stat.

Together Again is her top song on Spotify but only has 106m streams. That's The Way Love Goes has 94m and All For You 81m. really low numbers, considering! the other legendary divas all do far better. we need that cultural Janaissance, stat.

exactly! her numbers are relatively quite dismal. it can't just be nipplegate, can it? i notice quite a few of her videos aren't on youtube in an official capacity (together again, if, you want this) either. i'm sure her reputation for janceling and miming can't have helped but it's just such a shame about the songs.

I'd imagine being associated with the Jackson family sideshow, and her legendary work ethic haven't helped, but I think being unfairly jancelled around the turn of the century means a lot of the people who do the lion's share of streaming just... don't know her music at all.

I'd imagine being associated with the Jackson family sideshow, and her legendary work ethic haven't helped, but I think being unfairly jancelled around the turn of the century means a lot of the people who do the lion's share of streaming just... don't know her music at all.
MJ’s streaming numbers are extremely healthy though, so nothing to do with the family.

MJ’s streaming numbers are extremely healthy though, so nothing to do with the family.
Not to put too fine a point on it, MJ died and his legacy was saved. Same can be said of Whitney. They're forever preserved and spared the increasingly savage reviews of lacklustre albums, dwindling sales and deteriorating aging vocals. They're like that mosquito trapped in amber in Jurassic Park, a thing of beauty, as their peers age into dinosaurs.

Personally I think JJ's career was beginning to wane slightly anyway prior to the Superbowl incident. The 'All For You' album - as has been noted elsewhere - was not the stellar follow-up to 'The Velvet Rope', which itself had produced fewer hit singles than 'janet.' had done. 'Damita Jo' was a FAR better album than 'All For You' and contained several tracks that would undoubtedly have been hits had they received airplay and - no pun intended - more exposure. However, the impact of the Superbowl incident's total media blackout was to effectively end her success at 'All For You' and refuse to acknowledge existence of her undisputed imperial phase until it was far too late in the day for it to matter. To end on a positive note, it's great to see an acknowledgement and re-appreciation of her legacy, for she undoubtedly has one of the finest and I totally agree with Questlove's comment that she helped set the standard.

today is the 20th anniversary of NIPPLEGATE!

19e3068vltg1ygif.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom