WORST YEAR EVER?

I am not having 2010 thrown into this - the top 7 + Georgia were all EXCELLENT. What I consider to be my favourite winner of all time, and I think I'd struggle to find a better top 4. Some good stuff missed out in the semis too (Anna, Sieneke, Horehronie, Feminnem)

I think a great winner can elevate my opinion of a year, but one that I dislike won't necessarily dampen my opinion - 2016 is absolutely one of the best years in terms of songs, shows, hosting etc even if I can't stand 1944.

Reactions: D5K
I really don't pay half as much attention to production, staging and even hosting. They're all kind of a means to an end, and I don't recall any of the three being so actively terrible in the last 12 years or so, that I'd actually mark a year down. Not by much anyway. Production and staging are bigger, flashier and bolder in the modern era and we more or less get that every year so it's job done for me. And for as long as we've ditched random order of the draw, most years have been excellent because there has always been a sense of drama in the running order and results. Which is to say, for the last 12/13 years or whatever it is, I get what I came for. Anything else is nitpicking, or being annoyed at certain results. Obviously some years are elevated by truly stellar hosting mixed with incredible songs and memorable finishes (2016) but even the "worst" years are fine. 2011 I guess is soured by the questionable nature of the win rather than the song itself.

I'd have to go back to 2001/02 to find a show I didn't enjoy so much, and then before that it's early 90s hell editions.

I really don't pay half as much attention to production, staging and even hosting. They're all kind of a means to an end, and I don't recall any of the three being so actively terrible in the last 12 years or so, that I'd actually mark a year down. Not by much anyway. Production and staging are bigger, flashier and bolder in the modern era and we more or less get that every year so it's job done for me. And for as long as we've ditched random order of the draw, most years have been excellent because there has always been a sense of drama in the running order and results. Which is to say, for the last 12/13 years or whatever it is, I get what I came for. Anything else is nitpicking, or being annoyed at certain results. Obviously some years are elevated by truly stellar hosting mixed with incredible songs and memorable finishes (2016) but even the "worst" years are fine. 2011 I guess is soured by the questionable nature of the win rather than the song itself.

I'd have to go back to 2001/02 to find a show I didn't enjoy so much, and then before that it's early 90s hell editions.
I can see why people might mark down a year if certain results don’t go the way they hope though. I think if all my favourites were knocked out in the semis one year, or scored poorly in the final, I’d find it hard to rank that year among the BEST, particularly if the overall song quality itself was quite weak.

50s - okay but too many clubby entries
60s - some nice and elegant finds. would shop here more often if i wasn’t such a Eurovision himbo
70s - god what a bunch of freaks! *loads shotgun* “…and don’t let me find you coming round here again!”
80s - very yuppy era. fun but where is your soul?
90s - my favourite. apart from one blip (1994) this is where the contest enters its Boudicca era, with many solo female artists successfully burning the house down. A decade that starts with a Carola win and ends with Charlotte Perrelli’s first of four wins can never be maligned. To those of you that complain - Bebi Doll in 1991 threw the first brick at Eurovision and without her there would be no Natalia Gordienko - Sugar. In 1999 Doris Dragovic invented the concept of cheating and without her there would be no fake live vocals that we know and love.
00s - the teenage rebellion era where you make terrible fashion choices, desperately chase trends and get sick from just one Bacardi Breezer (Lou - Let’s Get Happy)
10s - the popularity starts to grow and ££££ mean that we now get things like men in hamster wheels. The notion of hosting the contest was redefined in 2016 with surely the greatest show ever?
20s - I’m not ready to talk about it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom