Baby Reindeer (Netflix)

They've found the alleged rapist as well. He's the absolute spit of the actor. Funnily enough he announced just three days ago he was stepping down from his current role.

She loves Trump :D
1713785559928.png

I binged the entire thing across two nights and found it utterly compelling and easily the best thing Netflix has put out in recent years.

The most powerful scene for me was
when he came out to his parents, and particularly his Dad's reaction and the subtle reference to his own experience. Very powerful stuff.
What I did find challenging, as I'm sure most will agree
the volume of rape and drugging. I mean it was non-stop in one of the episodes. Very harrowing and absolutely awful

It didn't surprise me that Martha was handled with empathy and I felt her character was supposed to make us grapple with it. Stalking and harassing someone is absolutely vile so why on earth would anyone feel sorry for her? But then of course, it is complex and she was clearly very very mentally ill. I felt sad for most of the characters to some degree to be honest, aside from the
rapist.

And those final moments?
when he visited his abuser, who was cold as ice and even called him brave for speaking his truth.
Textbook psychopath.

Absolutely incredible stuff, although highly doubt I'll ever feel the need to watch it again. Teri his girlfriend was an absolute gem and I found myself so frustrated watching their relationship but I could understand his turmoil.

I saw Ag comparing it to I May Destroy You and hurried to watched it and now a whole evening later, I finished watching it. :bruised:

It’s not as strong as IMDY but definitely more mentally exhausting. Sadly I kept expecting something even more extraordinary would happen but I guess it peaked at him fucking Martha

Episode 4 was epic, but as soon as I saw ginger guy I knew what would happen and it mostly made me want to get high and destroyed :)

Loved the soundtrack too

They've found the alleged rapist as well. He's the absolute spit of the actor. Funnily enough he announced just three days ago he was stepping down from his current role.

:moira:: It is NOT that guy

GLyncB4WMAAF9fN

*completely missing the point of this message*

The guess-the-rapist game CONTINUES!

:moira:: It is NOT that guy

GLyncB4WMAAF9fN

*completely missing the point of this message*

The guess-the-rapist game CONTINUES!

A little strange. Sean Foley is the absolute double image of the actor who played the rapist, amongst some other things...

It seems it absolutely isn’t him.

People need to turn it in ASAP. We can never be sure if this particular issue is being dealt with legally or not, perhaps Richard isn’t allowed to say?

It is bizarre how much the actor looked like Sean Foley but it does genuinely seem like the masses are barking up the wrong tree this time.

“Richard Gadd who is not known to me…”

Proceeds to tell his life story :D

I've become obsessed with her facebook page this past week

A shame about the bigotry, as aside from that she has the makings of being a brilliant Moopy poster

With the supposed outing of its main antagonists and really quite strong unproven accusations being thrown around, I'm wondering if this will end up getting taken down. From the little irl snippets were seeing the "dramatisation" aspect does seem to be holding less and less weight, and people are just going to keep on searching and finding stuff.

Case in point, I cba to find it now, but someone's dug up a stand up clip from 2012 (also featuring a young Ed Gamble :disco:) where you hear a woman constantly laughing maniacally in the background. People are assuming that's her. If it carries on (which it will) how long till these people are doxxed and it becomes an actual problem?

With the supposed outing of its main antagonists and really quite strong unproven accusations being thrown around, I'm wondering if this will end up getting taken down. From the little irl snippets were seeing the "dramatisation" aspect does seem to be holding less and less weight, and people are just going to keep on searching and finding stuff.

Case in point, I cba to find it now, but someone's dug up a stand up clip from 2012 (also featuring a young Ed Gamble :disco:) where you hear a woman constantly laughing maniacally in the background. People are assuming that's her. If it carries on (which it will) how long till these people are doxxed and it becomes an actual problem?
Is it this?

I must say, he really was a rubbish stand-up.

I don’t believe he’s so naive he genuinely thought the internet wouldn’t find her in 2 minutes.

I don’t believe he’s so naive he genuinely thought the internet wouldn’t find her in 2 minutes.
I'm quite sure Netflix realised. Online chatter = free publicity but everyone does seem to have forgotten that we are in The Worst Timeline.

I'm going to have to watch this now - how long is it, all in?
Just be aware that episode 4 in particular is rough/ very harrowing. The rest of it isn’t too bad.

I think I would rewatch it because it was so thrilling, but I’d skip the 4th episode. Once you see it you’ll know why. It’s fairly relentless.

Just be aware that episode 4 in particular is rough/ very harrowing. The rest of it isn’t too bad.

I think I would rewatch it because it was so thrilling, but I’d skip the 4th episode. Once you see it you’ll know why. It’s fairly relentless.
You're not the first person to say that, actually. The heads-up is appreciated.

Pardon me if this is a ludicrous question but even though she's a convincted criminal (is she?) do the programme makers still have a duty of care towards her? Could/should they have warned her this was coming out so she could have done something about her online presence?

(I suppose it's a "fictionalised" version of her, so that's different enough legally to not require anything like that)

Pardon me if this is a ludicrous question but even though she's a convincted criminal (is she?) do the programme makers still have a duty of care towards her? Could/should they have warned her this was coming out so she could have done something about her online presence?

(I suppose it's a "fictionalised" version of her, so that's different enough legally to not require anything like that)

She is a criminal in the legal sense, she has previous form for stalking and served 9 months for stalking Gadd, IIRC (someone please correct me if I’m wrong). I was wondering the same but under the impression the answer is no, i would like to think the legal system has taken care of her and due to the nature of her crimes I’d imagine one of the conditions post conviction would be therapy.

A friend of mine is a psychotherapist and works with… well, people like this… and the idea is that giving them a safe space to talk and understand the nature of who they are / what they did will limit the potential of them doing it again.

With respect though, Twitter sleuths have found and exposed her anyway so how that complicates things I do not know. The twitter mob are a bit jarring to me, it’s all one hand in the popcorn and a real need to take it as far as possible.

The woman clearly has mental health issues and it wouldn’t surprise me if she has a clinical diagnosis (I wouldn’t wish to speculate what that could be). You can even see by her response that she’s not quite right. I can’t help but find it all a bit sad if I’m honest.

(Don’t get me wrong I love a bit of gossip and juicy info but how far is too far)

That’s my thought process anyway…

She is a criminal in the legal sense, she has previous form for stalking and served 9 months for stalking Gadd, IIRC (someone please correct me if I’m wrong). I was wondering the same but under the impression the answer is no, i would like to think the legal system has taken care of her and due to the nature of her crimes I’d imagine one of the conditions post conviction would be therapy.

A friend of mine is a psychotherapist and works with… well, people like this… and the idea is that giving them a safe space to talk and understand the nature of who they are / what they did will limit the potential of them doing it again.

With respect though, Twitter sleuths have found and exposed her anyway so how that complicates things I do not know. The twitter mob are a bit jarring to me, it’s all one hand in the popcorn and a real need to take it as far as possible.

The woman clearly has mental health issues and it wouldn’t surprise me if she has a clinical diagnosis (I wouldn’t wish to speculate what that could be). You can even see by her response that she’s not quite right. I can’t help but find it all a bit sad if I’m honest.
Thank you, I wasn't sure if she'd had a conviction/served time.

In a sense, that makes it worse for me. I loved the show, but the more she's being doxxed online I'm not sure how well it sits with me that a thing she did years ago, when she was mentally unwell, that she's paid comeuppance for, is now being dramatised on TV for everyone to see, and she's left to deal with the flack from it...

Is duty of care even a legal concept in this instance? The show and Gadd did not name her, changed some details, and didn't encourage any searching for her. The only "proof" is that she used the phrase hanging curtains on a public platform, tweeted at Gadd.

I am not a lawyer, so I defer to our Moopy legalists, but I can't see it being a legal issue at all.

And if I was a convicted stalker, or advising a convicted stalker, I would have had my social media completely deleted day 1. That is outside the show's control, and why should Gadd not be able to tell his story because someone else isn't acting rationally

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom