2022 French Presidential Election

Soldi

Πάμε put your hands up
Pronouns
He/him
First round takes place this weekend, latest poll has Macron leading at 26% with Le Pen on 23% :bruised:

Praying 4 u DC

It does feel like we’ve moved into uncomfortable Brexit/Trump surprise territory.

Yeah, that's a polling error away from Le Pen, and I assume France will be similar to the UK and US in slightly underestimating the Rural vote so I would be very worried right now.

I'm not worried that she'll win. Macron's a chump but he has this in the bag regardless of a few polls.

The way she’s been rising lately is so upsetting. I had a feeling this would happen.

Apparently she’s been focusing on rising prices and the likes and not so much on immigration this time around. And having Zemmour who’s a lot more extreme than her has sort of made her look better. What a fucking cow.

Le Pen has been threatening to win for many elections. I don't see why now. If anything I suspect the peak of the right wing backslide has passed.

Macron is more than fine. DC can moan all he likes, but he's been a decent figurehead for France for the past few years.

❤️

Macron has been trying to modernise France’s notoriously ineffective economy and of course that makes him a bit of a hate figure, but unless France wants to become a new Greece or Italy then it’s something that has to be done.

Le Pen has been threatening to win for many elections. I don't see why now. If anything I suspect the peak of the right wing backslide has passed.

I would have thought that too, especially with the party’s connection to Russia, but I guess not. (Orban just won a huge majority too)

Macron will probably win against Le Pen, but it's in no way as much of a given as it was in 2017. Macron is fucking awful, no matter how "moderate" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: or centrist he seems to you people outside of France. He's as right-wing as they come. Less taxes on the rich, trying to sell us trickle down economics, cutting down welfare for the poor and unemployed... His ministers have no shame in using far-right coined terms (islamo-leftism :rolleyes:) to demonise the left. One of his ministers going as far as accusing Le Pen herself of being too lenient with muslims :eyes: And Macron himself meeting up with Eric Zemmour (the other fascist currently in the race) to discuss immigration policies :eyes:

And now, after a 5 year barrage of disgusting policies, he's calling us to vote for him to stop the far-right. But you ARE the far-right, babes :eyes:

How wonderful, another Putin friendly candidate who also isn’t too keen on EU. :eyes:
Mélenchon wouldn't have been my first choice, but he's the best positioned out of the remaining candidates. And those two points are really pretty much everything his detractors have to say about him, when 1) the Pro-Putin part is just completely false seeing his positions on the current Ukraine situation and 2) it's ok to criticise the EU when the goal is the improve it rather than leave it.

His program is by far the most comprehensive project when it comes to social injustices, ecology and women/minority rights. And hey, at least he's not one of the four other fascists in the race.

Macron will win. The system in France means the final two will see the left unite against Le Pen.

She better not abstain in the second round :kim:
To be honest I’m very reluctant, very little separates Macron and Le Pen and the thought of giving validation to his vile policies revolts me. I’ll probably end up voting anyway. But in my leftist circle pretty much everyone is decided not give Macron their vote again…

A significant number of people (who likely would have backed the status quo) not turning up to vote is how the UK ended up leaving the EU, particularly when a previously dormant part of the electorate simultaneously re-awakens. I hope France learns from our mistake.

I really don't envy France at all this election. Imagine having 14 candidates and basically every single one is a fucking cunt.

I'd probably vote for Anne Hidalgo or Yannick Jadot in the first round (neither stands a chance but they're the only ones I could really sleep at night voting for), and Macron through gritted teeth in the second round on the basis that no matter how bad Macron seems at times (and he really has been dreadful on a lot of stuff domestically), Le Pen would be SO much worse actively dedicated to a lot of the things Macron's been bad on. And she'd be a complete fucking disaster for the EU (where in full fairness Macron actually does have a decent record the last few years, getting stuff like common borrowing through).

And I think people in here are seriously underrating the likelihood of a Le Pen win. If I had to say right now I do think Macron will - just - win, but there's a big possibility the polls are underrating her right now.

We've seen time and time again the last few years far right candidates doing far better in election results than they had been doing in polling, as plenty of the disaffected types they tend to attract support from are, by and large, less willing to respond to pollsters when contacted as they don't really have much trust in anyone (they think anyone contacting them out the blue is trying to con them or whatever, or that they're all 'part of the establishment').

It's quite hard to gauge how many of those people there are and how likely they are to vote, and often it's ended in there being far more of them than anticipated. It's particularly dangerous when it goes hand in hand with left-wing disaffection, and Macron's done quite a lot to encourage that the last few years explicitly trying to build the centre-right as his base.

The Orbán landslide is definitely disconcerting.
In fairness, I think that was in huge part down to the specific circumstances both from the war and his 'keeping Hungary out of it' stance, and the specific nature of the combined opposition against him. There's a lot to worry about here but I don't think a Le Pen victory would be connected to that as part of a broader thing, given how much this is driven by stuff like cost of living, Macron saying he'll raise the retirement age, etc.

A significant number of people (who likely would have backed the status quo) not turning up to vote is how the UK ended up leaving the EU, particularly when a previously dormant part of the electorate simultaneously re-awakens. I hope France learns from our mistake.
The EU is really the only major difference I see between Macron and Le Pen. Which makes the comparison a bit unfair for the rest and drawing parallels to choosing between Labour and Tories for example. We’re having to choose between far-right Tories and UKIP or something.

But anyway, that’s all for the second round. I have absolutely no reason to vote for anyone in the first round other than the person on the left with the most chance of stoping Le Pen from getting to the second round.

And if it comes down to Macron - Le Pen in the second round then I do hope Emmanuel Thatcher 🤢 wins 🤢🤢🤢 but only by the narrowest of margins. Right-wing cunts shouldn’t expect the left to come to their rescue each time.

Last edited:
You’d hope her links to Putin would rally enough people around Macron
Yes , sadly it hasn’t put a dent in her popularity .. since she has started smiling like a maniac in every single photo and interview people think she’s relatable.. it’s sickening

Have there been any candidate debates so far @Dark Carnival or are they only for the final two?
There was no debate with all the candidates this time as far as I know. There was one in 2017, but apparently that was because it was a rare occasion where the incumbent president didn't run for his reelection.

The thing is, in a race between 'this candidate has been close to Putin' and 'this candidate is running on making you work for another 3 years before you can retire', regardless of the merits of the latter it's kind of understandable that someone living on the other side of Europe from Russia might take the latter as probably more likely to have a direct negative impact on their lives.

Plus Macron has refused to go on head-to-head debates :eyes: bitch is scared of getting DESTROYED.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom