Armenia and Azerbaijan

Saltwater

Ex QOTB
Sorry if there's a thread already, this escalated again.

As usual the western officials reaction is all love love peace peace.

Genuinely really worrying as it looks like Azerbaijan are actually attacking Armenia proper (and the positions of Russian peacekeepers), rather than just Nagorno-Karabakh. Any genuine attempt at invading Armenia would only end in genocide.

Genuinely really worrying as it looks like Azerbaijan are actually attacking Armenia proper
That's what i understand and I think with the lukewarm international reaction and most media being occupied with Ukraine and energy costs and the queen it's also being downplayed, I wouldn't have realized if it wasn't trending on my twitter.

This is an interesting development - Armenia openly snubbing Putin and reaching out to Europe.

Armenia are such a fascinating, unfortunate case in the currrent conflict. In many ways a Western-leaning country with a much more robust (albiet far from perfect) democracy than their neighbours in Azerbaijan and Georgia. But Azerbaijan has more oil, more money and a very powerful ally in Turkey. So with Europe now all-in on Azerbaijan to make up some of the oil shortfall they're experiencing from the war, Armenia are looking very lonely indeed, leaving them dependent on Russia as their only protector.

...except now Russia is so distracted by the losing war in Ukraine, they can't actually protect Armenia at all, and evidently this is starting to kick in. Public opinion in Armenia, while divided, seems to be more on the side of Ukraine than Russia, and evidently Pashinyan has decided that wooing the West might be a better long-term bet to protect his country.

The public is overwhelmingly on the side of Ukraine. But the government can’t afford to severely criticise or reduce ties with Russia. Putin may have broken his CSTO commitments, but Russian soldiers are still the only thing stopping Azerbaijan launching even larger invasions. Pashinyan isn’t foolish enough to rely on the EU for security.

(Iran is also somewhat of a protector, but they are also problematic).

They have no one else to depend on other than Russia and Iran but I hope with Gergia becoming an EU candidate member there will be a possibility for Armenia too to turn to Europe and later on join the EU.

It’s nothing but a new attempt at ethnic cleansing while the world is busy with other issues. And it looks like they’re going to succeed.

What makes the Armenian case hard to argue for is that ultimately they’re occupying a de jure Azerbaijani territory. But if it works for Kosovo, Israel and the likes then it should here as well.

I want to see Sirusho on a tank

But yes, this looks like classic example of taking advantage of a distracted world (and the respective roles of Russia and Turkey make it all the more confusing).

More than 100,000 Armenians have now fled, nearly the entire population :o

• Sad
Reactions: COB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom