Derry Girls

I noticed series 2 is FINALLY on Netflix UK as well, about 18 months after it mysteriously disappeared after being up for a day. Something to do with the rights to use the music supposedly.

Do we know if it's a traditional run or all appearing on 4OD or whatever it's called now.

Do we know if it's a traditional run or all appearing on 4OD or whatever it's called now.

I would guess it will be weekly episodes, I haven't seen anything to suggest they are dumping them all at once.

Oh I enjoyed that muchly. It wasn’t KILLER but a nice reintroduction.

Liam Neeson calling James “love” was the highlight. :D

They (unsurprisingly I suppose) all look so much older.

Still brilliant fun though.

Neeson having the scene stolen out from under him by UNCLE COLM was also a stroke of absolute genius as well.

Enjoyable episode once I made myself get over the fact they’re still 16 and it’s now 1998 somehow.

Stay was amazing. I'd Do Anything For Love was also a bit brilliant.

I had to put subtitles on for Erin's PERVERT with a JAZZY JUMPERED MA FETISH line, but it was worth it.

this episode was a SO GOOD and felt a lot less pandering than the first episode which was a bit of a greatest hits.

I thought last night’s was the weakest so far but still thoroughly enjoyable- it suffered from the obvious hiving off of Clare and Sister Michael was woefully underused. (And has been all series really) and is in danger of losing the wit and cleverness and just being mean and dour. Also, why is the latter on crutches? Was it a real life situation they’ve tossed off here in one line? Also, wish they’d brought cantrememberhisname from the photo shop as the train buffet operator. It was clearly a similar character so you have to wonder if he just couldn’t do it for some reason.

Anyway, mostly minor gripes. Still 8/10 overall, James (rapidly becoming one of the deadpan heroes of the show for me) in the boots was the highlight, but also the English breathing scene and the “he loves Erin…OH” moment. Pippa from Home and Away and display KitKats will be with me for a long time too.

Aunt Sarah was top notch as usual (“Jesus, hand me a spade, I’ll bury meself :D) and Mary debating whether to abandon her kids was fun.

All in all, a little bit of a step down, but a cut above the rest. I’m already dreading the end :(

Last edited:
I think this is the best comedy on British TV since BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE (it shares A LOT of DNA with that), but the dialogue is so fast-paced and some of the accents are so HARDCORE I have to watch with subs on, and even then they sometimes can't keep up with the pace!

I think this is the best comedy on British TV since BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE (it shares A LOT of DNA with that), but the dialogue is so fast-paced and some of the accents are so HARDCORE I have to watch with subs on, and even then they sometimes can't keep up with the pace!
Oh me too! I had to go back for the full Pippa line twice!

I really enjoyed last night's, more so than the other two, which were also brilliant! I love episodes in locked sets like a still train and this delivered.

So many moments but the one that keeps making me laugh just thinking about it was:

Erin: - We're not going to sit here and PLAY GUESS THE NUMBER!

Michelle: (without missing a beat) SEVEN!

I loved last night's too, it felt the least frantic of the run so far.

The BOOTS :disco:

Subtitles are essential for this, the lines are so quick, from Erin in particular.

I wonder if Clare will be engaged as Lady Whistledown for any future episodes. It wasn't too bad sidelining her last night but I hope it doesn't happen so obviously again.

I thought last night’s was the weakest so far but still thoroughly enjoyable- it suffered from the obvious hiving off of Clare and Sister Michael was woefully underused. (And has been all series really) and is in danger of losing the wit and cleverness and just being mean and dour. Also, why is the latter on crutches? Was it a real life situation they’ve tossed off here in one line?

Yes, Siobhan McSweeney fell off her bike and broke her leg in real life and missed almost all of her presenting duties on the last series of The Great Pottery Throwdown

Yes, Siobhan McSweeney fell off her bike and broke her leg in real life and missed almost all of her presenting duties on the last series of The Great Pottery Throwdown

Thanks. I didn’t know that at all, but makes obvious sense now.

Delighted we’re getting an extra episode, but it seems like a missed opportunity not holding it back for a Christmas special!

Set a year after this series apparently. It’ll be a great way to end it.

The Good Friday Agreement is kinda like a Christmas episode for this show, really :D so I'm over the moon.

When it comes to TV shows I'm a firm believer in keeping them wanting more, going out on a high etc but closing the show on that historical note somehow feels perfect.

Sister Michael very much back on form. I particularly enjoyed “You did not see the devil. Well, you might have, but you were flying off on the cocodamol”

:D :D :D

Apparently next week's episode is
a flashback to Mary and Sarah's teenage years.
Colour me intrigued!

Wow that ending was so unexpected. So glad there's an hour special tomorrow, not ready for it to end!

I won't be watching the Good Friday special live tonight, but I caught up with last night's episode and I thought it was the weakest so far. It wasn't bad, but it was rushed and it certainly didn't feel like an END OF THE SERIES episode, especially as the end of series episodes for series 1 and 2 were SO GOOD. Bit odd, but hoping the TWIST at the end follows through in the special.

Lovely finale, especially the last portion. It's a shame that Nicola Coughlan was so absent for most of it, although I suppose they worked around it reasonably well all things considered.

I loved it. Orla getting her moment in the opening was nice.

Claire felt quite obviously missing but I suppose they made the best of it and that telephone scene in particular was a scream!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom