Eurovision 2023 Hangover thread!

Albania 10th on the televote is a JOY as well - relatively low points to do it given how big Finland's haul was and how generous the spread was across the board in the lower half, but still a hell of a result. Their best televote finish since Suus I think?

On the generous spread re: televote haul at the lower end - that's probably a fixture from now on if they keep televote only semi qualifiers (as most qualifiers will have had some level of support to get them through), but also it kind of hints at another reason on the organisers' part for possibly wanting to do it - it cuts down on the likelihood of embarrassing nul/really low score moments at the public vote reveal.

I'd be FASCINATED to know what the Finnish commentators were like going into Tattoo. It's rare you ever get a public vote that feels this actively targeted against a competitor! (bar Armenia/Azerbaijan type cases obviously)

(aside from anything else, it implies utterly massive public awareness in Finland - and even then people who liked the song just not breaking ranks! What were the Finnosvensk doing, for one?)

Also - Austria going from 2nd in its semi to joint 21st in the final televote yet again testament to the power of the running order, and just how much of a proper rum spot opening is these days. When was the last time the opener did well on the televote? Tick Tock?

I'd be FASCINATED to know what the Finnish commentators were like going into Tattoo. It's rare you ever get a public vote that feels this actively targeted against a competitor! (bar Armenia/Azerbaijan type cases obviously)

(aside from anything else, it implies utterly massive public awareness in Finland - and even then people who liked the song just not breaking ranks! What were the Finnosvensk doing, for one?)

It shows how tactical they were and it makes it all the better that they didn’t win.

The biggest shock of the night for us was (aside from Belgium’s inexplicable success, especially as there were some Greeks among us and Greece gave their 12 to Belgium) was La Zarra giving the finger to the camera. :o:D

E31735F8-3EEB-4CEB-8CA9-BADA83F65D73.gif

So Australia WON its televote semi...and then lost the televote in the final to EVERY SONG that qualified beneath it? Except hilariously Austria, who came 2nd in that semi?!

WHAT?!

The top 2 in that semi were the bottom 2 in the final of that lot

I can only assume most of their votes switched to Finland, but yes, the power of running order could not be more apparent than in that result...

:D at Finland and their sour tactical voting!

Wow, the non-qualifiers were almost all super clear - so many tiny (or non) scores!

The results for Israel and Italy were a huge surprise. Especially that presumptive Israeli bitch.

Hot girls, with empty songs and sexy dancing are becoming one of my least favourite Eurovision genres. See Noah and Chanel.

I was so happy to see all the jury votes for Italy. Well deserved, I thought.

The public vote for Norway though. :zombie:

I thought that the UK hosting didn't translate. I was one Brit out of 6 watching at our place, and almost everything at the half-time show went over everyone's head. The Liverpool Songbook had me cackling at Whole Again (solo), but the Love of Huns x Sonia moment was just met with a huge WTF.

I thought that the UK hosting didn't translate. I was one Brit out of 6 watching at our place, and almost everything at the half-time show went over everyone's head. The Liverpool Songbook had me cackling at Whole Again (solo), but the Love of Huns x Sonia moment was just met with a huge WTF.
Was it that hard to understand? :D

They literally slapped the ‘Sonia Story’ right up on screen.

Was it that hard to understand? :D

They literally slapped the ‘Sonia Story’ right up on screen.
It was more, who the fuck is this and why should we care? It was a very niche reference. When I compare the UK to Sweden's last hosting gig (the gold standard), it felt worlds apart.

As I said, I loved that Sonia had that stage, but I remain slightly baffled that she got it.

Had the song long been a Eurovision favourite or had some viral moment recently I may have understood it more, perhaps.

The entire UK hosting was brilliant - technically well executed, self-effacing, tapped into the most lunatic aspects of the British culture (Peppa Pig!) and probably had the best nods to the history of Eurovision we have seen in a long time (the all time leaderboard at the start was a lovely touch - we never normally see that sort of thing).

(the all time leaderboard at the start was a lovely touch - we never normally see that sort of thing).
I wonder if that was just added late on as a way to present the Luxembourg news? And of course it allowed all the commentators to point out that Sweden were only one win behind Ireland.

I wonder if that was just added late on as a way to present the Luxembourg news? And of course it allowed all the commentators to point out that Sweden were only one win behind Ireland.
Possibly! I can't get over how well it was all done - they had so many bases to cover in what was no ordinary hosting year and the resulting balance was just perfect.

The entire UK hosting was brilliant - technically well executed, self-effacing, tapped into the most lunatic aspects of the British culture (Peppa Pig!) and probably had the best nods to the history of Eurovision we have seen in a long time (the all time leaderboard at the start was a lovely touch - we never normally see that sort of thing).

100% agreed. I won’t entertain anyone that says our hosting was anything less than SUPREME - and that includes the space given to previous British entries.

The biggest shock of the night for us was (aside from Belgium’s inexplicable success, especially as there were some Greeks among us and Greece gave their 12 to Belgium) was La Zarra giving the finger to the camera. :o:D

View attachment 18259
The CyBc commentators were caught off guard, they were literally saying:
"and next up is Fotis ready to give his 12 points..."
card shows up on screen
"not us apparently"

I was forced to watch the whole show with my mother in law talking to herself and repeating all the commentary, which rather took the shine off, but anyway, MY HOT TAKES:
  • Loreen was the best. I voted for her. Happy she won.
  • My top 3 were Sweden, Italy, Belgium.
  • Finland was fun but silly. The crowd love a singalong. I would love a go on him though. So sexy.
  • Mae Muller’s performance was dire but I like the song and she should get a nice little hit out if it.
  • Sonia was incredible.
  • Props to Alesha Dixon for being a great host - so natural with everyone.
  • Mel did a great job with her commentary bits.
I made peace with not being able to get to tickets in the end and it was nice to watch it with our Ukrainian guest who was very excited and moved by it all. I hope I can go to Sweden next year though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom