funky does Kylie: "DISCO" (2020)

It's also quite hard for me to divorce some of these songs from the X tour versions - Like A Drug in THAT red military outfit, slowly descending from the heavens atop an enormous bejewelled skull? Perfection.

05 In My Arms - God I had completely forgotten about this song :o was it a hit? Was it the first single? I can't remember. I'm actually feeling like there is a bit of continuity so far with this album, there is an alternative/electro crossover going on here and it's quite cohesive. The 5 is really because this is so not my wheelhouse, but I can objectively see the appeal in this one; the chorus is pretty huge. The vocal in chorus feels quite pure pop and I almost think that I'd prefer a more traditional pop version of this. Let the big chorus soar rather than drowned out by harsh synths. But anyhoo.

I've only just realised that "Wow" is actually THAT song "Wow". I honestly thought that song came much later in her career. This album has a fair few hits, I thought it was a relative flop.

05 In My Arms - God I had completely forgotten about this song :o was it a hit? Was it the first single? I can't remember. I'm actually feeling like there is a bit of continuity so far with this album, there is an alternative/electro crossover going on here and it's quite cohesive. The 5 is really because this is so not my wheelhouse, but I can objectively see the appeal in this one; the chorus is pretty huge. The vocal in chorus feels quite pure pop and I almost think that I'd prefer a more traditional pop version of this. Let the big chorus soar rather than drowned out by harsh synths. But anyhoo.

Oh dear! This is a 10/10 from the Halli Jury

02 Speakerphone - Sorry don't like this. Sounds like an American Life reject. Reductive and basic. I'll take the abuse for this but I can't in good conscience rate it higher :D

God what I have done? Praying for an R&B song soon to help me out...

I always forget how it went, but 2 Hearts was the lead single then it was either In My Arms or Wow - I believe one was the UK single and the other was the European single at the same time, but I always forget which was which.

08 Sensitized - oh I like this. Yes again I'm giving extra overall points up to now for a very cohesive album. I can't think who this reminds me of. I could imagine All Saints doing this, or maybe Natalie Imbruglia, or Sophie B Hawkins. This suits her voice more than some of the other tracks so far, even though it's less poppy. A great song.

Wow then In Your Arms was the order of release in the UK.

It was reversed in Europe/ everywhere else. They also shared artwork.

Wow was basically a damage control single in the UK after 2Hearts and the album itself didn’t do that well.

04 Like A Drug - I don't HATE this, but it's leaving me very cold. The dirty synth is quite punchy and very of its time, but her vocal is a little flat. It's just kind of THERE. And it all feels like a massive shift from recent stuff and maybe that was intentional then. Less of fixing what isn't broken, and more feeling a need to keep things fresh and evolving. Let's see where it goes.
GET OUT

I always forget how it went, but 2 Hearts was the lead single then it was either In My Arms or Wow - I believe one was the UK single and the other was the European single at the same time, but I always forget which was which.

2 Hearts was a single? :D I don't even remember that one at all! How forgettable for a lead single and a comeback after a Greatest Hits album. Madness.

2 Hearts was a single? :D I don't even remember that one at all! How forgettable for a lead single and a comeback after a Greatest Hits album. Madness.
It was quite baffling! My own pet theory (probably based on nothing at all) was that it was partly a slight tie-in to her Doctor Who appearance around the same time, the Doctor famously having two hearts of course :basil: There's a song later on the album that would've been a far better comeback single, see if you can spot it when it comes up :D

I've just realised that Heart Beat Rock reminds me of Heartbeat from Hard Candy. How ironic and not in a good way.

At least Kylie can say she influenced Madonna again.

• BOOM BOOM
Reactions: COB
Oh well, at least funky's scores are putting Ireland not qualifying for the Eurovision final into perspective

2 Hearts was an attempt to storm the Goldfrapp scene about five years too late.

The whole campaign was screwed up when In My Arms, which was the intended first single, leaked so early (about a year before the album’s eventual release).

99 The One - I actually don't have any words to describe how amazing this is. The first bars just HIT ME after that nonsense previous song. At this point in her career I don't think Kylie could have provided a more perfect song. I can only begin to think how stratospheric it would have been as a first single to sit alongside the megahits of the last 3 albums. I can only assume everyone on team Kylie felt it was too similar. But when you have a song THIS BIG in the palm of your hands, you don't waste it. Just utter insanity. Or is that in-san-ity

I haven't decided yet but this might be the next song to dethrone my current number one on my Kylie hit list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom