funky does Kylie: "DISCO" (2020)

Like A Drug second only to The One in terms of my X favourites. Exceptionally good. I thought it sampled Fade To Grey but apparently it’s just a similar chord progression

DEVENIR EN GRIS :disco:

Reactions: COB
It's also probably worth mentioning that between Ultimate Kylie and X was the Showgirl tour, which was cut short due to her cancer diagnosis and treatment. She returned with Showgirl Homecoming, which featured this little ditty:

The only studio version of this we got was a piano ballad version of certain editions of X, and the full-on disco tits version not being included on the album is another baffling decision.

I toyed with putting it on my tracklisting but decided against it. It feels like it belongs to another era really. But why we still have never got it, I don’t understand.

Well I was quietly hoping for something more from this but it just suffers from being an album that embraced the sounds of the time... not for anyone else, just me, as I really don't like the dirty synth chart pop of this era. Even moreso that it infected dance music for a further five years, but heyhoo. I get why people like it. Just not for me this one. Still, three great songs and even if everyone doesn't agree with all the choice I don't think anyone can deny that this album was worth it for giving us The One.

06 2 Hearts
04 Like A Drug
05 In My Arms
04 Speakerphone
08 Sensitized
02 Heart Beat Rock
10 The One
08 No More Rain
06 All I See
07 Stars
04 Wow
05 Nu-di-ty
06 Cosmic

Kylie Hitlist Top 20: The One is the only new entry, although I Believe In You also joins the fray from the previous greatest hits album.

Current Top 20:

1. Sweet Music (Body Language)
2. Breathe (Impossible Princess)
3. Confide In Me (Kylie Minogue)
4. Step Back In Time (Rhythm Of Love)
5. Where Is The Feeling (single mix) (Kylie Minogue)
6. Finer Feelings (Brothers In Rhythm 12" mix) (Let's Get To It)
7. The One (X)
8. What Do I Have To Do (Rhythm Of Love)
9. Shocked (Rhythm Of Love)
10. Surrender (Kylie Minogue)
-----------------------------------------------------------
11. Still Standing (Body Language)
12. Look My Way (Kylie)
13. Can't Get You Out Of My Head (Fever)
14. Love At First Sight (Fever)
15. Slow (Body Language)
16. Put Yourself In My Place (Kylie Minogue)
17. I Believe In You (Ultimate Kylie)
18. Jump (Impossible Princess)
19. Spinning Around (Light Years)
20. Loving Days (Body Language)

I toyed with putting it on my tracklisting but decided against it. It feels like it belongs to another era really. But why we still have never got it, I don’t understand.
They had an opportunity to put it on Step Back in Time and boost the sales (even further). Fools.

You might as well stop here funks because I really can't see you working your way through Aphrodite or Kiss Me Once to be honest.

• Wow
The random shuffle tracklisting really is a mark against X, and just sort of shows up that it was A&Red to death. I wonder if tinkering with the production of a few of the tracks to make it all slightly more cohesive would have helped, though of course we'll see the results of that approach in the near future :eyes:

You might as well stop here funks because I really can't see you working your way through Aphrodite or Kiss Me Once to be honest.

I agree :D maybe I'll just do them quietly with no fanfare just to get the point we all want to get to (and it rhymes with Frisco)

The random shuffle tracklisting really is a mark against X, and just sort of shows up that it was A&Red to death. I wonder if tinkering with the production of a few of the tracks to make it all slightly more cohesive would have helped, though of course we'll see the results of that approach in the near future :eyes:
It's a shame because with some tweaks it could have been her best album!

X suffered from having the heftiest weight of expectations placed upon its shoulders.

You do need to react to her remaining albums @funky , if only for the sake of completists. I think there are some gems on the next two albums, though Aphrodite is probably my least favourite Parlophone release.

Wow then In My Arms was the order of release in the UK.

I can see this strategy but it would have been too much fluff for first single, they were going for a bit of substance for first single and was way off the mark with 2 hearts. I love 'wow' - its basic but its a fave of mine, but that first would have defeated the point at what she was coming back with, with X. Still, would have been better than 2H!

My ideal X track list:

1. In My Arms
2. Like a Drug
3. Lose Control
4. Speakerphone
5. Sensitized
6. The One
7. Rippin' up the Disco
8. Stars
9. 2 Hearts
10. I Don't Know What it is
11. White Diamond (disco version)

I also loved "When the Cat's Away" and "Excuse My French" back in '07. Those demos aren't her, though, right?

I also loved "When the Cat's Away" and "Excuse My French" back in '07. Those demos aren't her, though, right?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they were by a soundalike but were intended for Kylie.

So all in all, Funky, listen to:

Cherry Bomb
Magnetic Electric - YOUTUBE only (UK?)
Rippin' Up the Disco - YOUTUBE only (UK?)
(Lose Control) - leak, so use YOUTUBE
King Or Queen
Do It Again
Carried Away
I Don't Know What Is

Last edited:
I can't remember who was behind Fall For You. Was it Xenomania? Certainly sounds like it.

BPM is definitely not something I'd go far, Made Of Glass sounds like an OK bop, but Loving You sounds LUSH! Singles material let alone album material, what's its backstory?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom