Kelis - Get Along With You

I no longer have any need for these worldly things. I want to go where he is.

• Total voters

RJN

lost all chats
Pronouns
he/him
It has a lot of competition, but this just might be my favorite Kelis song.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not my favourite, but will catch me every now and then. Kaleidoscope is one of those rare albums where almost every song keeps peaking and peaking. Roller Rink has always been the one I just can't live without.

An absolute 10. I just love this song so much.

She played it at Glastonbury in 2010 and it was such a moment for me. What a song.

An absolute 10. I just love this song so much. She played it at Glastonbury in 2010 and it was such a moment for me. What a song.
I had a bit of a cry when she played that.... To be fair I was off my face but I couldn't believe she included it in her set whilst promoting Fleshtone. I remember being one of those dreadful people that pushes through the crowd so I could get to the front (Sorry if I barged into you Ryan).
I had always been so in love with this song and wasn't ever sure I'd hear it live.

Legitimately don't think I'd ever heard this before until now

The new site makes it easy to find that I made this in 2016 apparently. I was right about it

One of her best songs and it's a sin that it charted no higher than no. 51.

Kaleidoscope was one of my favourite albums when I was a young teen.

"It's not just about Beyonce, she's copied me before.." :D

Well that was a rant and she's presumably not wrong. What does she mean about Milkshake, that she wrote it all and it's been used over and over again without her permission and no royalties? Her music has always been highly sample-worthy though so I can see why she's so pissed if this has happened over and over - especially as she hasn't sold HUGE numbers herself for the most part.

Oh and this song is a clear cut TEN of course. Heartbreaking, delicate, a flop that should never have been. I feel it was too subtle for radio at the time unfortunately.

I really need to give Kaleidoscope a whirl, I don't remember giving it the time back then compared to her follow ups. I don't know why I just never got around to it and that must be rectified

And now I'm caught in a Kelis chart rabbit hole. What a weird trajectory - Bossy got to 16 in the US but Caught Out There only 54?! Apart from Milkshake she hasn't had much singles success there has she? No wonder she's PISSED with that back catalogue and endless thieving.

The ridiculousness of music sales in 2000 though that her debut doesn't make the top 100 but still sells a quarter of a million. At least Tasty sold a lot but I can't understand how the singles after Milkshake didn't chart there at all, especially Trick Me :confused:

The UK has certainly been kinder to her on the whole, though the complete disregard to Flesh Tone across the board is tragic. That was a piece of art and such a serve of a curveball for her.

I hope she claims all those lost royalties she's owed and Beyonce GOES TO JAIL

The general public only knows “Milkshake” and “Bossy” in the States. Not sure why the other Tasty singles didn’t take off here.

I’m pretty sure the Tasty album was a decent international hit as well, not just UK.

I just threw on some Kelis and there really is an embarrassment of riches in her very odd catalogue.

Young, Fresh & New still sounds so wild. And Got Your Money is probably better than Fantasy as far as ODB collabs go. I feel Milkshake was ruined by being a hit, and being so prominently featured in Mean Girls.

That Young Fresh and New Timo Maas remix is EVERYTHING. Tragedy it's not on streaming. @aquaplex !

Quite literally one of the greatest dance songs of all time and one of my biggest Spotify omissions

Yes please help @aquaplex

The original is great but that remix is just ridiculous.

The ridiculousness of music sales in 2000 though that her debut doesn't make the top 100 but still sells a quarter of a million. At least Tasty sold a lot but I can't understand how the singles after Milkshake didn't chart there at all, especially Trick Me :confused:

Immediately after Milkshake was released (even though it was a hit), her record label Arista went bust (In the USA) so the campaign was halted literally months after the album was released; meanwhile, in the UK and some countries in Europe, they had some deal with Virgin hence why over there they continued releasing more singles off Tasty like Millionaire and In Public.

Kelis is the good stuff. Kaleidoscope is the best pop space debut innovator since World Clique. And she hits each of her points really well, whether it's within a blizzard or not. ICON.

Immediately after Milkshake was released (even though it was a hit), her record label Arista went bust (In the USA) so the campaign was halted literally months after the album was released; meanwhile, in the UK and some countries in Europe, they had some deal with Virgin hence why over there they continued releasing more singles off Tasty like Millionaire and In Public.

Why couldn't Virgin just take the promo there? And of course I know it's not that simple but I always find stuff like this weird. I guess the charts always were confusing...

Why couldn't Virgin just take the promo there? And of course I know it's not that simple but I always find stuff like this weird. I guess the charts always were confusing...
According to Wikipedia, after Arista folded she was transferred to Jive (Britney Spears, BSB, 'Nsync) but God knows why they didn't take ownership of the Tasty album and kept the momentum going and since the UK/Europe Virgin deal was already ongoing it was easier to follow up there maybe?

Even though Jive was making BANK with Britney et al back then, they weren't any better than her old label considering the awful promo Kelis Was Here got in the US. Aside from Bossy, it didn't do much business.

In celebration of the impending execution of Beyonce, as Kelis prepares to publicly disembowel her live for one of her cooking shows, I had a walk in the sunshine and put Kaleidoscope on.

Christ what a debut, it feels so accomplished and pops the whole way through and beyond the singles she could have had about six more. Given her voice isn't super powerful, I've always loved how she manages to sound so very her, like no one else and delivers such deadpan charisma but also real emotional integrity too. And the sound, well again it's so uniquely Kelis. It may have been The Neptunes and yet I can't quite imagine anyone else recording this. This album feels several years ahead of its time but she's always been a tad on the quirky and experimental side that maybe it hindered her mainstream success a bit. Either way what a delicious piece of work.

And imagine giving us the pure poppery of Roller Rink right near the end :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom