Let's rank all the Beatles [UK studio] albums

Suedehead

I Will Survive
(Yes, I woke up this morning and chose The Beatles.)

Here they are in chronological order:

Please Please Me
With The Beatles
A Hard Day's Night
Beatles For Sale
Help!
Rubber Soul
Revolver
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
The Beatles (The White Album)
Yellow Submarine
Abbey Road
Let It Be / Naked

If you're not familiar with thee entire discography just pull up your top 5 or 3. Feel free to rate too.
Today I'm really feeling RUBBER SOUL

Mine changes ALL THE TIME, but:

1. Revolver
2. Sgt Pepper
3. Abbey Road
4. Let It Be
5. The Beatles
6. Rubber SOul
7. Help!
8. A Hard Day's Night
9. With The Beatles
10.Beatles For Sale
11.Please Please Me
12.Yellow Submarine

(Though I'm not sure if I really count Yellow Submarine, but I absolutely think it should be included...it's their I'M BREATHLESS, isn't it?)

I mean I GREW UP with Yellow Submarine (dad's choice etc. etc.) but yeah it's deffo my least fave as well.. I THINK.

1. The Beatles/White Album
2. Revolver
3. Abbey Road
4. Rubber Soul
5. Sgt Pepper
6. Let It Be [Naked version preferred to Original]
7. Help!
8. With The Beatles
9. A Hard Day's Night
10. Beatles For Sale
11. Yellow Submarine
12. Please Please Me

It's hard for me to see them as albums, as I mostly experienced them as songs first before I heard them in context.

Sgt Pepper is the one I know best, and those two George songs on Abbey Road are just so top tier it's not funny, but The White Album is probably the most enjoyable end to end listen for me these days.

And yes I need @octophone in this thread - you contribution to the Manics thread is Moopy legend (I've saved it as a PDF!!)
I need your Beatles insight my love

1. Revolver
  2. The Beatles
  3. Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
  4. Magical Mystery Tour (the US LP is considered canon)
  5. A Hard Day's Night
  6. Abbey Road
  7. Rubber Soul
  8. Beatles For Sale
  9. Let It Be (2021 mix makes the best fist of the available material, for me)
  10. Help!
  11. With The Beatles
  12. Please Please Me
  13. Yellow Submarine (it's a bit unfair because it's only 4 songs but we only really need "Hey Bulldog" and "It's All Too Much")

I’ve got them all on vinyl except Yellow Submarine which has eluded me. And I think all of them were “free” as part of job lots I’ve got, though I do have the super deluxe Abbey Road, White Album and Let It Be. The super deluxe Revolver is too expensive and I haven’t succumbed yet.

Aye, they took the piss a bit with the Revolver deluxe. Even the 5CD set - two of the CDs are just over 40 minutes and one of them is less than 12 minutes, mirroring the vinyl set. Not touching it without a serious price drop, similar to the one the Let It Be set eventually took.

I'll be interested to see how the revamped Red and Blue albums sell. After the initial fan rush, will they become streaming perennials?

Aye, they took the piss a bit with the Revolver deluxe. Even the 5CD set - two of the CDs are just over 40 minutes and one of them is less than 12 minutes, mirroring the vinyl set. Not touching it without a serious price drop, similar to the one the Let It Be set eventually took.

To be honest, I could probably flog my original Revolver vinyl for £60+ looking at Discogs, which would mean the super deluxe suddenly makes sense!

It amazes me what people will pay for Beatles stuff. I sold a copy of The White Album recently that I graded "Very Good", but played through ok, with a fairly beaten up cover, for about £75. It was a guy buying it for a present for his son, but he wasn't a collector- I got into a conflab about it because he had only 1 feedback score and I was worried he'd return it and didn't know what he was getting. I'd have just gone to Amazon and bought a lovely mint copy for £40, but that's just me.

Well, same here. People have got really weird about vinyl in the last few years. It's bewildering.

I was just in Fopp and they were playing the remixed 67-70. I mean, it sounds the same but I guess it's designed for close, headphone listening. The radio stuff on I Am The Walrus was quite loud at the end but I could have been standing under the wrong speaker...

It's not what it was in the pre-HMV days but it's still better than HMV. The focus is on music rather than funko pops and other shit.

I find the albums difficult to rate because I’m not familiar enough with all of them. I’m more of a singles guy.

It’s also amazing how revered and enduring the albums are considering that they only ever released about 2 singles off each album and so many of their biggest hits aren’t even on an album. Usually those artists get packaged as Greatest Hits legacy bands over time amd the Beatles are not. As much as the red, blue, #1s etc are the go to for casual fans, their albums catalogue is still very much part of their history and still included in every greatest album list you can find out there

Of course some albums (Sgt Pepper being the main example) didn’t have any singles taken off them at all.

But it was different times- albums and singles were seen as separate things rather as the latter being promo for the former. The turnaround time of albums was a lot quicker in those days too. It wasn’t unusual at all.

A tough one, but if I had to rank them, I'd probably go:

1. The Beatles Album
  2. The Second Beatles Album
  3. My Name Is Beatles
  4. My Name Is Beatles, Two...
  5. Color Me Beatles
  6. Je m'appelle Beatles
  7. Simply Beatles
  8. Beatles Joan Beatles
  9. The Beatles...and Other Musical Instruments

Only really got into them recently (last five years).. I never grew up with them and never assumed I was missing out and I was so wrong it hurts me

Anyway, I’ll just do a few, I haven’t spent much time with the earlier records so only really know the singles

1. The Beatles
2. Abbey Road
3. Revolver
4. Let It Be
5. Rubber Soul
6. Sgt. Peppers

I rate Let It Be a lot higher than most it seems, the reissue really cemented that for me.

Have little patience for Sgt Peppers

Ps. You have no idea how tempting it was to put ‘The Best of The Beatles’ at no1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom