Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Peekaboo

User
Anyone else seen this?

It's probably the LEAST FASHIONABLE film to premiere in 2022 as it's essentially STIFF UPPER LIP: THE FILM but there are some DELIGHTS to be found. It's very inconsequential in the grand scheme of things but that's OBVIOUSLY the point.

It's exquisitely shot, scored and edited although the narrative trick employed in the third act didn't quite work for me.

Bill Nighy however is TREMENDOUS. He has this quiet power to him that comes from the inside, and at the same time he's able to convey a fragility in such an understated way. It's a wonderful performance and he reminds me of MANY OLD BRITS I've met.

Last edited:
I’ve heard excellent things about this. Apparently it’s a remake of a Kurosawa movie.

Yes it is and the script is by Kazuo Ishiguro who is the most BRITISH NON-BRITISH writer ever.

I mean there's a whole BOOK to be written about Japanese and British stiff upper lip mentalities so he obviously GETS IT (see The Remains of the Day).

Poll added.

I think it's really a 7 but I've given it a generous 8 because of Nighy's understated performance.

I thought Nighy was sublime - he dialled back all his usual schtick (I say this as a fan) to brilliant effect. It was easily the best I've seen him.

I loved the film for about an hour or so, but then it really outstayed its welcome for me, and I just wanted it over with. I did think it was brilliantly made though, and really well cast. The recreation of that drab 1950s world felt so believably realised that it really made me think what it must have been like to live back then. (I'm sure I'd have topped myself after a prison term for cottaging, but that's by the by).

I echo everyone’s feelings, it’s solid but it’s just that.

Oh did I not comment on this? Yeah, it's a 7. Nighy is very good but it's the epitome of Sunday afternoon viewing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom