Manic Street Preachers all inclusive thread

"Diapause" and "Still Snowing In Sapparo" were the best songs on the last album.
As at right now, I agree with that. Having initially found it a bit formulaic, "The Secret He Had Missed" has slipped under my skin lately too.

I went straight to bed after that because if I'd started on the albums, I'd have been there all night! It's amazing how they can snap from the mediocre to the remarkable so quickly and yet you couldn't say they lack quality control. They're not scattershot - when they get it right, they get it very right indeed. When they miss the target, well, look out everyone, this could go anywhere.

Some more songs for the playlist, off the top of mah bonce...

You Love Us (Heavenly original, not the GT version)
Walk Me To The Bridge
Between The Clock And The Bed
Anthem For A Lost Cause
Faster
Die In The Summertime
Prologue To History
Just A Kid
Futurology
The Ballad Of Bangkok Novotel
Hold Me Like A Heaven
Misguided Missile
William's Last Words
Peeled Apples

This is how I would rank my Top 5 Manics albums at the moment - there are many I don't know, but I'm working on them.
I know that @all kinds of octophone already rated the albums so we have your indirect rankings anyway - but I wonder if you might want to do a ranking anyway just for fun?

1. The Holy Bible
2. Everything MUST Go
3. Gold Against the Soul
4. Lifeblood
5. Know Your Enemy (2022 remix)

This is how I would rank my Top 5 Manics albums at the moment - there are many I don't know, but I'm working on them.
I know that @all kinds of octophone already rated the albums so we have your indirect rankings anyway - but I wonder if you might want to do a ranking anyway just for fun?
Oh, go on then:

1 - The Holy Bible
2 - Futurology
3 - Everything Must Go
4 - Rewind The Film
5 - Know Your Enemy 2022

This thread may have gone quiet but I'm still very much in a Manics mood. Off work today and listening to Ultra Vivid Lament on vinyl. So good!

Nicky Wire responds to the cost of living crisis but popping his new solo album on Bandcamp for £2.99.

Mind you, given that most copies of his last one were sold off for £3 in Fopp, maybe he's just cutting out the middle man...

They've probably done enough now for a decent compilation: Sophie Ellis Bextor, Mark Lanegan, Richard Hawley, Green Gartside, Iam McCulloch, Nina Persson etc

Oh good idea. I actually just thought to myself to make a spotify playlist, so I'll sideline those especially (and yes I'm putting Some Kind of Bliss in there).

The Manics were out at the wrong time for me and I think I heard the wrong songs first and got a bad impression of them, but anyways it took me years to find some songs I like and at the very least appreciate their talent

But most of all, the biggest discovery was learning how much of a cutie the lead singer was in his youth! 😍

Reading back, I do feel I pretty much nailed it. The Lifeblood reissue hit the spot so I'd up its score to 8.5/10, maybe even a 9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom